October 2nd, 2008

Martin: Raise the bar for Palin and Biden

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/27/art.split.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Biden and Gov. Palin will take center stage Thursday night."]
(CNN)–Expectations are high for Palin AND Biden. Many of you read my commentary this week on CNN.com and I haven’t changed my opinion.

I’m tired of Washington journalists continuing to say that the expectations are low, and the bar even lower, for Gov. Sarah Palin.

And the same goes for Sen. Joe Biden.

One of these two will be Vice President of the United States. How in the world do we tell our children every day to have high expectations in the classroom, but we should expect the vice president candidates to not raise their game? Nonsense.

It’s time for Biden and Palin to show America what they are really made of.

Bring it on!

JUMP IN ON THE CONVERSATION WITH ROLAND MARTIN

1. Unbelievable!

I am completely in disbelief that Gov Palin made that comment about Sen Biden's wife being a teacher, "Her reward is in heaven". That was so rude, insulting, and condescending. That's what continues to turn me off about her. It's one thing to be quick and clever with responses, but this whole inappropriate and defensive tactic that she uses is uncalled for.

She needs to just answer the questions asked of her and quit being so disrespectful.

P.S. Mr. Martin, I so admire your work. I always look forward to your commentaries. You keep it real!!!

October 2, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  2. Dawn Smith

When Palin said John McCain knows how to win wars, was she referring to Vietnam? Do we really consider Vietnam a victory?

October 2, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  3. PD Nemons

"I like the tough questions...." Duh, she didn't answer them!

October 2, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  4. Sean

she is a joke

October 2, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  5. CarolynW

The only "danger" by Dick Cheney was when he went hunting!

October 2, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  6. cheryl e

absolutely dis like cheney, he has hurt america as a whole, bush/cheney has done this country a disservice! come on ppl!

October 2, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  7. honeybee

Are you for real???? Sarah Palin came out reading what someone else wrote for her but answering questions for real........ CAN"T DO IT!! This should be an insult to women if you are just voting for her just because she is a woman, and her number 2 in the country, thats scary and dangerous!!!

October 2, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  8. Stevo

BIDEN hands down won!!!

October 2, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  9. Cindy

Biden's closing speech was inspiring. Absolutely inspiring. He truly gets it.

October 2, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  10. ha

My husband said Palin is doing better. I said let's vote for her to be the president directly instead of waiting for "heart bit away" – Because older men like to watch younger woman, younger men like to be with pretty woman. As to the women, we like to have a woman president no matter if she is quality or not.

October 2, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  11. Bama4Obama

Joe Biden won, definitely! She was smarmy and annoying, not to mention she tried to sidestep too many questions, and it was obvious she was reading from a script.

October 2, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  12. cheryl e

BIDEN WON ABSOLUTELY!

October 2, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  13. ME

Does she really know what she said or was she just repeating everything they wrote down for her?

October 2, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  14. Angela Walker

I call this one for Joe Biden, easily. Running the country is not a backyard barbecue, Palin needs to take her brood and go home.

October 2, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  15. Il Voter

Why does Gov. Palin's husband never hold their baby? Other than one photo op I've never seen him step in to handle his family. There is always a nanny or a younger daughter. Does Gov. Palin's husband have the same "family values" as Gov Palin herself?

October 2, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  16. Robert in Small Town

Biden won hands down she could not or would not answer the questions.

October 2, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  17. Kristiaan

Palin has a way about her of being extremely loquacious while saying nothing of substance. If you ask me, she is the archetype of the media's characterization of Joe Biden. Biden on the other hand continued to spit out firm statements while keeping his answers succinct.

October 2, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  18. Carol Brown

Oh my – she didn't know what "Achilles Heel" means – poor thing. No she is not now, or probably ever, Presidential material. AND I resent her not including me in America – I am not now nor ever will be a "soccer mom" – when is she going to talk to me about my needs. I am a mother – but I don't fall into the "SM" category.

October 2, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  19. CarolynW

if there are "winners" and "losers" in this, I think Biden "won" just because of experience. But Palin held her own, and didn't look like a naive, backwoods person at all. She obviously isn't as experienced in world events as Biden, but she did stand up to him very well.

October 2, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  20. Donna

Can you ask David G. not to give credit to Sarah? Joe was dead on in this debate.

October 2, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  21. Il Voter

Did Gov. Palin answer a single question?

October 2, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  22. Carla B

This is the most fun I've had all year. What a hoot! Sarah you are providing us with wonderful comic relief. You are a total joke.

October 2, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  23. Kyle C.

It seems to me, that Gov. Palin, through naivety or something else, by not answering most of the questions is panding to the Republician base more than trying to win over independent and undecided voters. With all of the recent polling data, the Republician ticket should be trying to swing votes toward their ticket instead of panding to the loyal following. Of course, she did touch on a few populist issues such as regulation of Wall Street and funding education, but I doubt that those who are not decided on which ticket to support will be swayed to McCain-Palin.

October 2, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  24. Joey

Palin definitely won!....... If she were running for American Idol – folksy style. Can't wait for Nov 4th to come and go.

October 2, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  25. jethro omaheraw

Bait and switch....the media wanted us to belive Palin was a lame duck...i was impressed with her honesty. Biden stil controlled the tempo.

October 2, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |