October 2nd, 2008

Martin: Raise the bar for Palin and Biden

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/27/art.split.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Biden and Gov. Palin will take center stage Thursday night."]
(CNN)–Expectations are high for Palin AND Biden. Many of you read my commentary this week on CNN.com and I haven’t changed my opinion.

I’m tired of Washington journalists continuing to say that the expectations are low, and the bar even lower, for Gov. Sarah Palin.

And the same goes for Sen. Joe Biden.

One of these two will be Vice President of the United States. How in the world do we tell our children every day to have high expectations in the classroom, but we should expect the vice president candidates to not raise their game? Nonsense.

It’s time for Biden and Palin to show America what they are really made of.

Bring it on!

JUMP IN ON THE CONVERSATION WITH ROLAND MARTIN

1. Brian

Biden won this debate, hands down

October 2, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  2. STEVEN FAIR

Pailn did not debate the issues. She appeared to not even know what her canidate stands for. If McCain died america would be in trouble.

October 2, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  3. MMS

Biden looked stressed at some points in the debate, and toward the end he got a little incoherent. Palin did fabulous, looked confident, and gave good answers. I'll have no problem voting for her and haven't from the start.

October 2, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  4. Brian

No question, Govt. Palin is in every way what Boulder Colorado and the USA is looking for.... Change.

God Bless Governor Palin.

October 2, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  5. Miguel Quezada

Is anybody counting how many "ALSO" is Mrs. Palin Saying!!! I just changing her name Mrs.Sarah ALSO Palin!!!!!

October 2, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  6. Misty H.

I think she over-did the down home stuff. I don't care much for her, I don't care for how she ran her state, and I don't think they're going to bring us any change at all.

I actually think Biden did better than Obama in the debate.

October 2, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  7. Kenneth W. Jones, M.D.

TO PALIN, AMERICA IS JOE SIX PACK AND HOCKEY MOMS. TO SENATORS OBAMA AND BIDEN AMERICA IS ALL OF US WHITE, BLACK HISPANIC ASIAN. WHAT A TERRIBLE IMAGE PALIN WOULD MAKE REPRESENTING AMERICA, AS SHE SAID HER AMERICA IS JOE SIX PACK AND HOCKEY MOMS, NOT VERY VICE PRESIDENTIAL OR PRESIDENTIAL

October 2, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  8. Ron

Gov. Palin did not answer the questions asked! She had her own agenda tonight and failed to deliver solid answers on the questions asked.

October 2, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  9. C J Brown

Biden won!

October 2, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  10. JAY

BIDEN wins big!

October 2, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  11. Dazed

She was just as confusing as trying to understand a Kennedy...John, Teddy.....

October 2, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  12. Bowie State Student

Palin is a small fish in a big pond. She stated herself she doesn't know much about Washington. Why would you admit that? She tried but she is clearly not qualified for the VP job. Maybe she could try Maybeline, Avon or something, not runing a country!

Good Job Biden 😉 You're awesome!

13. Nick

Palin the clear winner of the debate. Biden looks older and much more tired than McCain – hardly a leader. The Obama-Biden rhetoric is beyond belief – what a joke.

14. GD

he did it. he did what so few thought he would be able to do as aggressive as he's proven to be. He attacked the McCain ticket he didn't attack Palin which we all knew women would be sensitive to. i am a woman........He won, he gave me plans, i have an idea of the ideals. she spoke well and didn't fall on her face as i thought she would. if i hear "maverick" one more time...and Joe only went after "maverick" once. Though her closing speech was moving I could have cried when they both denounced same sex marriage

15. Kate Fergus

The bar is high and the only one who can meet and perhaps exceed the bar is Joe Biden. He has given substantive details to his answers. He isn't just talking at 30,000 feet where the air is thin. Palin is in that thin air. Slogans and buzz words don't cut it.

Obama and Biden – now question!!!!

16. Aisha

Roland – I agree about raising the bar for this very important political position. So why is anyone taking a woman who barely finished her degree in Journalism (after six years) seriously? I mean if you look at the resumes of other world leaders... they aren't educationally challenged like Palin! I mean Ahmadinejad might be a crazy SOB, but he is a crazy SOB with a PhD! I think the role of Pres AND VP should require at least a Masters!

Yeah, I know Bush has a MBA...

17. AAR

Roland,

What are your colleagues talking about. Did John King really say that she did what she had to do? What is Andy talking about? David Gergen seriously... somebody up there needs to be honest and tell the truth - She did a terrible job. Were we watching the same thing?

18. Stacey in Tn

I thought Biden won. He did not dominate, but he won. She was to robotic. The format sucked. They never did ask each other questions.

19. Chris

Biden won clearly. Palin didn't answer questions and avoided issues. On the other hand, Biden was knowledgeable, comfortable and connected with people.

20. Jay

I think that the moderator did a terrible job. She let Palin get away with not answering any questions directly.

21. Valorie, TN

She came across to me as smarmy, condescending, demeaning and just seemed to not take any of this very seriously at all. She just acted as though this was a game!

22. Jane E

Biden won. Palin paled.

23. Curtis - Marietta, GA

Biden won the debate. Knowledgable, clear and on point. She was off point a few times and dodged a few questions. Her speaking style is very "jerky".

But, Palin did a better job than most would think. You can tell she did a good job cramming for this. I support Obama, so I also support the fact that McCain keeps her under wraps. When she's on, she could help McCain. When you keep her locked up, she stumbles. Let's hope they keep her locked up!

24. Monte W

I'm completely flabbergasted by the Sarah Palin's inability to answer a question directly. How can she flat out redirect a question about the economy and turn it into a lackluster response about energy? I seriously hope that in the next presidential debate, Tom Brokaw exhibits some strength and forces the candidates to address the questions at hand.

25. anubis

I think Joey the shark was almost flawless...but i need to check some of his facts that palin was calling him out on. Palin did a great job of deflecting but didnt really show a command of the counterattacks by Sen. Biden.