October 2nd, 2008

Martin: Raise the bar for Palin and Biden

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/27/art.split.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Biden and Gov. Palin will take center stage Thursday night."]
(CNN)–Expectations are high for Palin AND Biden. Many of you read my commentary this week on CNN.com and I haven’t changed my opinion.

I’m tired of Washington journalists continuing to say that the expectations are low, and the bar even lower, for Gov. Sarah Palin.

And the same goes for Sen. Joe Biden.

One of these two will be Vice President of the United States. How in the world do we tell our children every day to have high expectations in the classroom, but we should expect the vice president candidates to not raise their game? Nonsense.

It’s time for Biden and Palin to show America what they are really made of.

Bring it on!

JUMP IN ON THE CONVERSATION WITH ROLAND MARTIN

1. renu

Roland,is that even a question??
    Biden....Biden all the way..the point of a VP debate is to sell your president..and he did it !!!!
    Palin just drilled herself into the abyss of ignorance and inability..

October 2, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  2. Teresa Stamback

Biden won all the way she jumped around the questions answering only the things she was comfortable with. Hello folks wars are different today than they were in McCains day....my dad fought in Korean war and has even stated that McCain doesnt seem to understand the policies of warfield in todays age....

Im a republican but my vote is going to Obama Biden..........

October 2, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  3. Fabian Quintero

Palin is advoating on Obama's policies... whos team is she on?

October 2, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  4. Blue NY

Just imagine what that debate would have been like if Palin was asked to respond to the tough questions first?

October 2, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  5. scott

Palin's statements were simply incoherent. I don't desire a folksy vice president. I want one who can think.

October 2, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  6. Tundra

How can we complain about candidates who are smart and actually THINK, but praise someone who throws out one liners and short answers, and call that a regular American?

You work with Cafferty don't you?

On a serious note, most Americans I work with throw one liners. That being said I think they both did well and she had the advantage of not having a senate record to defend against her candidate.

October 2, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  7. James

Roland,

Yes, she did her job. Didn't make any major mistakes. However she was not answering the questions directly. A lot of fillers, sidestepping and trying to be "cute".

Biden did his job as well. Not long winded, no major gaffes. I actually thought he was very good. Sharp, clear, articulate and answered every question head on. I am very impressed with him. Surprised he was not at the top of the ticket.

October 2, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  8. Carla E

She did not sound presidential at all. She sounded like she is talking to someone she ran into at the grocery store. She often did not answer the questions. She repeated her robotic, prewritten, rehearsed speech. She was reading for goodness sakes. And she could be president. Heaven help us all!

October 2, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  9. Peter Groves

I must say that I was very amazed that both VP representatives spoke eloquently and tried to keep with the pace of the questions that Gwen posed to each candidate. However I'm not impressed with Sarah Palin's inability to answer the darn questions? While she may have not stumbled on stage she seemed didn't swing my vote.
    My compliments to John McCain's debate coaching over the last week...while I give her credit for being charming and spirited we need more from a VP than a beauty queen from an Alaskan town of 8000 that runs marathons. On the other hand Joe Biden was polished and stuck to the question points. I'm a registered Republican and right now my vote is leaning towards Obama/Biden.

Biden wins the debate!!! 65 – 35

October 2, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  10. JMB

Joe won this debate. She didn't fall on her face but she also didn't convince me she can be president. So I end this still not impressed with her.

11. erange

I am convinced now more than ever that Palin was a huge mistake for McCain. I honestly held most of my judgement to hear what she would have to say. I was looking for her to sound more knowledgable on the issues than she has in the past 5 years and she clearly...clearly failed. It is absolutly disturbing that McCain would pick someone who has little to no knowledge about the issues that the new president will be faced with, she would be a heartbeat away from the Oval Office and that scares me to death!

12. William

Although I am supporting Obama/Biden, I think her performance was better than expected. Biden was much stronger on the facts and on policy, that is probably lost on the majority of the public. The question comes down to who is connecting emotionally with swing voters.

13. jim

Talk about no experience...look at Obama. What has he ever accomplished as a senator? NOTHING. He thinks Iran is a small country not even a serious threat...God help us all. He has spent half of his senate term running for president..who is the senator for Illinios? What a loser!!! Obama and Biden... I think I'm going to puke!

14. B Jacoby

A bipartisan political system ensures only status quo. One side votes yes. One side votes no. This political system can be equated to a "PREVENT DEFENSE" in american football. It's wonderful when you are miles ahead with only minutes left in the game; a certainly victorious strategy. This, however, is no longer the scenario in which we live.

We are no longer miles ahead globally,and perhaps behind even (as the federal budget and a failing economy certainly exhibit). We need to switch strategy and plan more for progress rather than status quo.

15. STEVEN FAIR

Roland how do you give a shout out in a debate?

16. Denise

Joe Biden clearly won this debate. He was so beautiful, well spoken, and so knowledgeable. I am extremely impressed with his abilities.

17. Biden = Rock Solid.

Palin didn't answer a single question all night. She's talking about the media filtering out her answers, and wanting people let to decide what to make of them...

Well why DON'T YOU GIVE AN ANSWER THEN!?

Biden did an admirable job of holding back, because everyone watching knew that he could have spent the debate just reading Palin a riot act.

Palin didn't commit any major mistakes...aside from never giving an answer, but Biden stood there and showed that he actually knew what he was talking about on each and every issue.

18. randall

BIDEN WON...
    you can only hide behind a smile for so long, and talking points don't always cover every topic.

19. dnix

Biden won hands down...she was annoying at best. She looked like a robot at times. She kept dodging questions and seemed out of her league especially in reference to foreign policy.

20. jackie

roland did it look like she had on a ear piece please let me know i don't think she did such a good job she had to keep looking at the paper not much straigt forward she never answer a question straigh

21. Daytona

As usual Mr Martin had his conclusion pre debate. Palin was constantly on Biden and he had no ground to formulate 'much' of a defense. She won this one hands down, get over it Martin, and face the facts on whom controlled who.

22. EJ

I love that Joe Biden was such a good sport and chuckled when Palin called him "Senator O'Biden" early in the debate. Did anyone else catch that?

October 2, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  23. Tickle

Does the Vice President make appointments or does the President?

October 2, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  24. John

Yes, Biden WON.

October 2, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  25. Jim

She CANNOT become the president. How can Gwen allow her to not answer the question that was asked so she can pontificate about some other topic. Most likely, it's because she didn't know how to answer the question.

October 2, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |