October 2nd, 2008

Martin: Raise the bar for Palin and Biden

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/27/art.split.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Biden and Gov. Palin will take center stage Thursday night."]
(CNN)–Expectations are high for Palin AND Biden. Many of you read my commentary this week on CNN.com and I haven’t changed my opinion.

I’m tired of Washington journalists continuing to say that the expectations are low, and the bar even lower, for Gov. Sarah Palin.

And the same goes for Sen. Joe Biden.

One of these two will be Vice President of the United States. How in the world do we tell our children every day to have high expectations in the classroom, but we should expect the vice president candidates to not raise their game? Nonsense.

It’s time for Biden and Palin to show America what they are really made of.

Bring it on!

JUMP IN ON THE CONVERSATION WITH ROLAND MARTIN

1. Josho

They both won. Sarah redeemed herself after the horrible taste left in peoples' mouths by the Couric and Gibson interviews. Biden redeemed himself by not putting his foot in his mouth, being more genuine (if less aw-shucks), and by displaying a superior ability to talk about a wide range of issues.

October 2, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  2. Valerie

Please, I am appauled at her behavior and demeanor. She thinks she is cute and funny, and I'm certain the folks who've lost their homes and jobs have nothing to laugh about. I'm sick that John McCain first of all would even run for President, but to play such a sick game with the well being and livelyhood of Americans is sick. If white women vote for Palin just because she's a women, shame on them. I think she's a disgrace to women black and white and I'm personally sick of the eye winking and head jerking.

October 2, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  3. Gerald

Biden.......HANDS DOWN!!!!

October 2, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  4. mainermarsh

She did probably about as good as she can...which sadly isn't saying much. I am sure she is a lovely woman, but thinking of her as president terrifies me to no end. She rarely even answered the question given to her and diverted back to the same talking points. Ok, we get it that you are the governor of an energy rich state, but that isn't the be all and end all.

Her response on the vice president's powers in the Congress was especially scary.

October 2, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  5. KJ

In some places she was a little clueless but I do believe that the DEBATE BOOT CAMP did her some good. However, the question still remains, "Do you trust her as your PRESIDENT of the United States of America?"

October 2, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  6. Mike

I thought Biden simply commanded the debate. To me she didn't come as folksy but rather as condescending.

Biden was smart not to take the bait and attack her on petty thing. He kept firm to the topics and actually answered the questions. In comparison she seemed evasive and uncertain.

October 2, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  7. Cheri in Florida

As an educated woman, tonight Palin made me want a sex change. She tried to repeat everything Chaney through at her in VP boot camp but the air headed beauty queen was shinning through! We cant have yet another 4 more years of the same otherwise we are doomed! Obama/Biden is our only hope!

October 2, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  8. Sonya

Okay, who gave Sara Palin the right to come up with her own questions. Did they not explain what a debate meant during her study session? Debate means you listen to the question and argue your point and not to talk nonsense about the one thing you had the most talking points on, "energy"!

October 2, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  9. KD

I agree Roland.

Palin definitely repaired her image tonight but the winner is Biden. I was impressed with his restraint and his knowledge.

October 2, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  10. tammy smith

i think palin did ok, however she did seem lost on some foriegn issues points, but that was expected.

October 2, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  11. L Cooper

After listening to this evenings debate I feel strongly that Govenor Palin is a strong person and could fill the shoes of VP and if needed take over as leader of this country if necessary. She is a woman, person & politician of change and will be a strong right hand to John Mc Cain if they win the ticket.

October 2, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  12. Rajeev Nair

Who won?!!

The difference was very obvious....facts versus rhetoric, subtance versus slogans, experience vs naivette....

He won hands down...

October 2, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  13. Seth

I dont know what peoples problems are with Gov. Palin. She did just as well as Biden did from my point of view. She made no major mistakes and she was able to drop a few bombs on him. She might not have "won" this debate but she did just as well as any other person would.

October 2, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  14. Shanna

I think this was Biden's debate. Palin didn't make any big mistakes but I didn't like all the sarcasm.

October 2, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  15. Nathan, Benton City WA

Palin won because she showed that she has a great working knowledge on issues that her interviews cast doubt on previous to the debate. Like Obama last week, she looked like she belonged and that won the debate for her.

October 2, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  16. Celeste

I think that she held her own for the most part. Joe Biden won. This is obvious. He has more experience with the issues and that was clear during the exchange.

October 2, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  17. KP

BIDEN WITHOUT QUESTION!!!!

He drowned her in the facts and figures!!!

Palin did well. She just did not answer the questions. She stayed within her comfort zone only...and anybody knows a VP needs to venture onto unfamiliar territory from time to time. Based on what I saw, not sure she's up to that challenge.

October 2, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  18. Fernando

Biden was more substance, she talked a lot about the things she has been trained to talk about, but didn't deliver the game changer that Mccain needs at this point.

Biden clearly won in my view.

October 2, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  19. Irene

I thought Joe Biden gave better answers and didn't seem like a robot with someone else feeding her as Sara Palin did. Also, I did not hear her say what her achilles heal is?

October 2, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  20. Kenneth W. Jones, M.D.

SENATOR BIDEN HAS THE STATURE OF A VICE PRESIDENT OR PRESIDENT, HE CLEARLY WON THIS ONE, AS AN EX-REPUBLICAN I AM AT A LOST FOR WORDS TO DESCRIBE PALIN'S PERFORMANCE. WHAT A SAD REPRESANTATIVE OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY

October 2, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  21. Maddy

Angela- "Worldview???? Since when does Palin have one?"

Well, did'nt you know ..she can see Putin's head from her backyard

October 2, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  22. Angelina

Hands down that goes to Joe Biden!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 2, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  23. Betty

Did she show up for the debate? She indirectly answered every question posed to her. Is that the person I want to take over if anything happened to McCain? I think not. I want someone in there who really knows what's going on. Not somone who has had half decent coaching for the last few days. She is a Washington outsider...but maybe too far outside which makes her clueless as to how things really work.

October 2, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  24. Empire, CO

Palin did an abyssmal job. The only thing she did tonight was help increase the sales of alcohol and Tylenol. This woman has no ideas of her own and cannot articulate the facts. She double-spoke the whole time and did not directly answer the questions. Oh and just like Bushie, she can't pronounce simple words like Nuclear (Nu-clee-arr) Iraq (Urrock) and Iran (Urronn). She recites McCain lies and has no clear plan of her own, or even to try to advise McCain on anything. Palin is McCain's lap dog, and that was clearly evident tonight.

October 2, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  25. Deborah in Fl

Palin does well when she is coached. She was slammed by Biden tonight in this debate. He demolished her bridge to nowhere!!! The word maverick should be banned from use and stricken from the dictionary. Bided did what he needed to do tonight and that was clearly state his support for Obama while demonstrating that he clearly understands the role of the VP..... Nice job Joe! Palin tried, and did put on a decent show, but in my opinion, she is way out of her league and is not ready to play with the big boys...

October 2, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |