October 2nd, 2008

Martin: Raise the bar for Palin and Biden

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/27/art.split.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Biden and Gov. Palin will take center stage Thursday night."]
(CNN)–Expectations are high for Palin AND Biden. Many of you read my commentary this week on CNN.com and I haven’t changed my opinion.

I’m tired of Washington journalists continuing to say that the expectations are low, and the bar even lower, for Gov. Sarah Palin.

And the same goes for Sen. Joe Biden.

One of these two will be Vice President of the United States. How in the world do we tell our children every day to have high expectations in the classroom, but we should expect the vice president candidates to not raise their game? Nonsense.

It’s time for Biden and Palin to show America what they are really made of.

Bring it on!

JUMP IN ON THE CONVERSATION WITH ROLAND MARTIN

1. Lance

I disagree, I think the bar has been lowered for Palin. Though expectations are high for both candidates compared to an average Joe from the streets debating, but still the liberal news media has projected a poor performance from Palin. This "objective" opinion has, thus, trickled down into the minds of the American people. Even my own mind is subject to this. However, I'm trying to look beyond this and place both candidates on the same standard.

October 2, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  2. patrickdiego

Do we want to turn the country over to 'C' students ? We've tried that for eight years now. Simplistic self-serving wrong-headed policies have led this country to the brink of ruin. Let's try 'smart' for a while. Republicans... It is time to give the other team a chance. How could you POSSIBLY do worse?

October 2, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  3. LB-NJ

If you vote for Obama that will be the sorriest thing you'll do in your life.
    He's not ready to be a leader. He flip flops so much, and he is certainly not for us commoners. He reported $1.6 million in earning last year. Do any of you make that much in your lifetime, I certainly don't. What does he know about the problems that plague everyday Americans.

October 2, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  4. jaye

Yes, Joe Biden has his "gaffe's," but he speaks from the heart and knows his stuff, and he's the best candidate of all.
    He's one of the best in Washington!
    Go ahead and laugh and point fingers at him, but, he's the one I would want in a crisis.
    Give 'em heck tonight, Joe!!!

October 2, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  5. Lois in Florida

Thank you Roland Martin! I am so sick and tired of hearing that all Palin has to do is pronounce her name correctly and she wins big. Is this what our country has become? I am a conservative, a republican – one of those security moms who voted for Bush in 04. I literally almost had a meltdown listening to the governor try to explain that she thinks there is a constitutional guarantee to the right to privacy. WHAT??!!! That is the heart of the Roe decision, and most pro-life people know it, and any pro-life person running for office knows it – except Gov Palin. If that were the only confusion, I could manage to get around it, but she cleary has not thought about ANY of the big issues. This is utterly unacceptable. When our candidate is pitied and we have to coddle her and sequester her, it's a problem, and I am not going along with it.

October 2, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  6. kim hussein taylor portland, oregon

i actually believe that the repugs WANTED to lose in november so they put forth the WEAKEST candidate of the bunch–mccain (cuz everyone hates mccain).

and when that failed, the thought "oh cr@p, now what do we do, carl??!?!" and he said, "hey, i know, lets' get that moose-killing chick over in alaska, they'll NEVER go for HER!!"

and because they-surprisingly-actually gave too much credit to the intellect of some americans, they are now stuck with this complete JOKE of a duo! it would be hilarious if it werent so dang terrifying!!!!

October 2, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  7. McAncient

I'll take Biden's experience and wisdom coupled with Obama's 'inexperience', intellectual genius and vision over McCain's bad experience, erratic, irrational, 'roll the dice with America approach' and lack of sincerity, coupled with Palin's 'inexperience' ignorance and lies

This debate won't change a thing.. we saw the real Sarah Palin last week

October 2, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  8. beach nut

It does n't matter if she wears a wire she is sure to srew that up.

October 2, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  9. Kyle in Pickerington,Ohio

It's hard for Democrats like me to reach out to Independents who live in rural Ohio. I spoke to a man who told me that he was voting McCain-Palin because she could field dress a moose. It's aggravating that our country can continue to be strangled by the pointless.

October 2, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  10. tickerroland

Wise,

Man, your bigotry is really showing!

So you won't vote for a black man because CNN is discriminating against a woman?

How? How are we discriminating? Where is your proof?

Second, you should be voting on issues. If you aren't voting on policies of Obama and McCain, that's pathetic.

October 2, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  11. greg

Biden better wipe the floor with her. He needs to let her embarrase herself. And he needs not to back down,on any issue. She is not in a man's world she is in poltics... Woman must remember that this is the offical interview for the job. And it does need to be tough.. greg

October 2, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  12. marilou

if Nancy Pelosi can ask for 197 million, to be added to the bail out plan, for her rum business, in Puerto Rico. Gov. Palin will get my vote no matter what.

October 2, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  13. Anna in VA

Sarah Palin was wearing her hair down earlier today. Could this be concealing an ear peice?....hmmmmmm

October 2, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  14. Eileen from Maine

The MCain/Palin campaign has really put a damper on this debate tonight with their behavior towards Gwen Ifill. Gwen is an accomplished journalist who was truly excited to be the moderator of this debate. They have managed to baselessly put her integrity into question with their insinuations. They just don't care who they stomp on.
    That is not leadership. That is selfishness!

October 2, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  15. jayeandvic

Palin has already showed her "real self" in interviews, and nothing she says tonight will change my opinion of her.
    She is the wrong choice for VP. Period.

October 2, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  16. Erin in Oklahoma

My mother is watching this just to see if Palin will implode. I find it disturbing that people aren't watching to see where they stand on the polcies, but to see if one of them is going to mess up. I weep for the future.

October 2, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  17. Mrs. Texas Teacher

THANK You, Crystal!

She's playing with the big dogs now... she needs to stand up on her hind legs and act like that bulldog with the lipstick and stop crying "Barbie".... of course, she needs to know of which she speaks.... that may be the hard part for her!

October 2, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  18. Lisa

Can anyone tell me in what job just being a "maverick" makes you qualified? This is not just any job, this is our country!!!! This is what men and women have fought and died for and it's acceptable credentials to have just fought your own party. These 4 people applying for VP and Pesident should be the best, most intelligent people our country has to offer. I can't believe anyone thinks Sara P. fits that.......shes has set women back 40 years!!!!

October 2, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  19. Rachielle from VA

Roland,

You are my favorite commentator on CNN. You say everything I'm thinking.

I too, am sick of people saying the bar is low for Sarah. Someone we don't know much about, and who may very well lead this nation if something were to happen to McCain (if they win). She deserves the exact same treatment any man would get. I don't care that she's a woman. If you wanna stomp with the big dogs, you need to be able to BRING IT! It's such a disservice to women everywhere when they whine and complain that the media is "sexist". We have every right to know what she's about. Sad thing is that because she has been so secluded from the rest of the nation, we've had to find out things on our own...and they don't look good.

I dont doubt for a second that she's not going to bring it tonite. I'm sure she'll have a few snappy comments about Biden/Obama, a few zingers, but I pray America see's thru that...but then again, they didn't when she read her speech off the teleprompter that she didn't even write at the RNC. Who cares if the next president or vice president is "Joe Six Pack"? You will NEVER have lunch or shoot the breeze with these people. I SUGGEST you start picking competent leaders, and stop treating this election like it's American Idol!

Love you Roland!

October 2, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  20. mike

i want to know how adding a new amendment in the "Bailout" bill that insurance companies have to carry mental health coverage has anything to do with the finacial crisis of the country....

October 2, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  21. JB

Hi Roland,

In your view, should a candidate have an advanced degree in order to actually run for VP or President of the USA ?

ty

October 2, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  22. tickerroland

kim hussein taylor,

I disagree. We don't know what to expect. I believe she's coming out strong, and will try to put Biden on the defensive. by doing that, she can take away his ability to go on the offensive. Plus, this format helps her. A free wheeling chat like McCain and Obama had would help Biden.

Short, quick answers are appropriate for these two.

October 2, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  23. Noel D

Ian wrote "Our entire congress is throwing our paychecks out the window and we're hoping to raise the bar for just the VP candidates?"

So very true...and so very sad as well...it's time that the bar is raised for American politicians across the bar...

October 2, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  24. CyberWarFighter

Tonight both better have their game faces on.

Wuz Up Roland !!!!!

Why do they always introduce you , "ROLAND", as a Obama supporter ?

Has no one else picked a candidate, or do they just point you out my man?

October 2, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  25. Leonard

I think that the bar should be raised....Gov. Palin is applying for a job for which if i was Sen. Biden i would through everything at her with the Kitchen sink and all....I would look at her as thou she was applying for my Job....I would fight with tooth and nail and take the gloves off....No soft stuff and if i coulld get her to sweat under pressure that would be the just thing to see if they would have a box of Klenex tissues to dry her eyes!!! Now thats Politics!!!

October 2, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |