October 2nd, 2008

Martin: Raise the bar for Palin and Biden

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/27/art.split.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Biden and Gov. Palin will take center stage Thursday night."]
(CNN)–Expectations are high for Palin AND Biden. Many of you read my commentary this week on CNN.com and I haven’t changed my opinion.

I’m tired of Washington journalists continuing to say that the expectations are low, and the bar even lower, for Gov. Sarah Palin.

And the same goes for Sen. Joe Biden.

One of these two will be Vice President of the United States. How in the world do we tell our children every day to have high expectations in the classroom, but we should expect the vice president candidates to not raise their game? Nonsense.

It’s time for Biden and Palin to show America what they are really made of.

Bring it on!

JUMP IN ON THE CONVERSATION WITH ROLAND MARTIN

1. Dan

A very strong performance by Biden and quiteshaky by Palin. She was trying hard and would be better served if she could just be herself and didn't come across as so "canned." Incidentally, she kept referring to the U.S. Commander in Afghanistan as McClellan when it is Gen. McKiernan. Ironically, McClellan was one of our worst generals ever (from the Civil War).

October 2, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  2. Sonya

We already know what Fox News will say, Biden did horrible and Palin was a genious. Yeah right...

October 2, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  3. Griff

Why do I listen, CNN? I don't... Bye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 2, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  4. Adam

We didn't have to wait until the end of this debate to realize Binden clearly won.

October 2, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  5. Chris

Is it just me, or is CNN having a hard time drubbing Gov. Palin. All this talk about the media treating her badly. I just don't see it. Except for one cable news channel, she seems to be given a lot of slack. Yes, she is getting some exposure from the comedians, but that is different than news.

October 2, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  6. Alisha4Obama

Senator Biden won the debate, but I wish he'd called Governor Palin on supporting Senator Obama up until she was named VP, and I wish he'd remarked that her selection as VP shocked everyone including her own parents!

Additionally, I would have liked to see Senator Biden talk about equal pay for women–that point wasn't discussed even once.

I was shocked to hear that McCain voted against domestic violence against women; though, Senator Biden should have mentioned how many times Senator McCain voted against veterans. Senator McCain might say he supports troops, but he sure doesn't help them when they return.

October 2, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  7. Sandy

Biden won. Palin was not answering the questions that were asked. For instance when asked about bankruptcy, she responded talking about energy. If I hear we're the "mavericks" one more time I think I'm going to puke.

8. Ricky

biden was fantastic, he won this debate by a wide margin. Palin did not make any mistakes, but it was obvious she was not speaking from her heart, but from the Republican playbook. Barack clearly has the more superior VP.

9. MD

Hands down Biden won. Sarah Palin did not answer the questions put to her. She reads her chat cards and then go back to the previous question while everyone has moved on. She called the General by his first name and can't even pronounce his name right. All of her answers are written down and memorized by her. This was not a debate, it was an expression of her views and positions. She did not challenge Biden once, not even once when he criticized McCain's record. Go home S.P

10. Desmond

I think both candidates won. They won because they had different objectives. Palin's objective was to at least sound competent, credible, and reach back to that cute, folksy, joe-six pack image. Biden's objective was to attack McCain and thoroughly contrast the diametrical disparity in judgement between Barack Obama and John McCain. Both succeeded.

11. Doris

I almost turned the channel from the beginning. All this talk about Joe Biden being respectful because he is debating a female...and what does the female do? OFF THE BAT SHE GIVES A WINK!!! Talk about sexism.....I felt she was flirting with the viewer (male). This was a debate not a beauty contest. Her "cutsy, flirty, girlish" manner was degusting. Even though Biden was clearly the WINNER of this debate with his vast knowledge, experience, and statesman like demeaner, I will agree that Palin was well coached and it showed.

12. Curtis

Biden was professional and managed to restrain himself at the best of times, giving professional answers. His only downside probably was getting a bit too technical on some of the answers.

Palin, on the other hand seemed to wander all over the place, never really answering the questions asked. She also seemed to insult the moderator by going on and on with her own topics when they weren't asked for. I think this will hurt the McCain campaign in the long run.

13. d j matulewicz

Gov Palin was more concise, intelligent, & informed. He stumbled at least 5 times & I worry about that because I am a democrat. That party line has disappeared from my vision. She just seemed more trustworthy, too. Biden's skin looked just awful, is he feeling well? I hope it's just the stress of the campaign.

14. KAMI IN ARIZONA

Biden hands down!

15. Anonymous

Palin did not answer the questions with any substance. She clearly did not demonstrate knowledge on policy. I found her style to be robotic and well rehearsed. It is amazing that the CNN political team is not calling her performance out as terrible. Did we watch the same performance? She was absolutely terrible.

16. AJB

Two words for Biden – You Won!

Two words for Palin – Well Coached!

17. Anonymous

My friends, as you know congress runs this country. If Palin wears her hair down or shaved off is erelevent. Please name the last VP that did anything for this country. LBJ?

Congress needs to get their act together or we're all screwed.

............and everyone needs to stop believing the media and make up their own minds as to who they prefer to run our country.

18. Your mom

It doesn't matter. This is the worst election ever. This election isn't even a choice, it's an ultimatum

19. jim

From reading the first 50 comments it is obvious Roland which direction your readers face. Biden got his butt kicked. At times he was shaken, desperate, repetitive, looking backward and loosing his focus. And I'm not a Palin supporter. Much better debate than the first McCain/Obama
    Again the audience was polite and respectful. That is an improvement also.

20. Anonymous

I was offended by Palin's remark government remark. As a government employee, I do not know of a work force that is more dedicated or hard-working.

21. Melissa

Bide won hands down. Palin was better than with Katie but her weaknesses still showed through.

22. Dawn

Can someone please tell Gov. Palin that it's not I-rak the pronounciation is Iraq pronounced E-raak. she is killing me ! She did not answer one question with a straight answer.

23. me

bidn got his butt hand to him

October 2, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  24. Obamama

Palin has no idea what shes talking about.

She is so far removed that its uncomfortable.

October 2, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  25. renu

the political pundits say she lived up to the low bar that she set..is this what this country is about ..mediocriity? she beat the bar of mediocrity and didnt fall flat on her face,whew!!!...i hear releif that she didnt mess up..is that what we expect from our VPs and potential presidents? not fall flat on their face....WOOOOOOOW!
    I do not want a six pack Joe as my VP..i want an intelligent person!erudite,sensible and humble ....sarah clearly lives in her la la land wiht alaskan sunsets ...

October 2, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |