October 2nd, 2008

Martin: Raise the bar for Palin and Biden

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/27/art.split.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Biden and Gov. Palin will take center stage Thursday night."]
(CNN)–Expectations are high for Palin AND Biden. Many of you read my commentary this week on CNN.com and I haven’t changed my opinion.

I’m tired of Washington journalists continuing to say that the expectations are low, and the bar even lower, for Gov. Sarah Palin.

And the same goes for Sen. Joe Biden.

One of these two will be Vice President of the United States. How in the world do we tell our children every day to have high expectations in the classroom, but we should expect the vice president candidates to not raise their game? Nonsense.

It’s time for Biden and Palin to show America what they are really made of.

Bring it on!

JUMP IN ON THE CONVERSATION WITH ROLAND MARTIN

1. aliou FL John Mckeating five

Joe Biden won the debate

October 2, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  2. kontra

the diva took it

October 2, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  3. marie

I only watched about 10 minutes of the debate and not only could Palin not answer the questions, she pretty much refused too albeit politely, and when that didn't work she just answered in circles as if she forgot her lines. I kept up with comments on this blog and I can see the entire debate went along the lines of the 10 minutes I could barely stand to watch. It's a slap in the face to women in America, shame on you McCain.

October 2, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  4. MacDonald

Biden – on point, in St. Louis
    Palin – no point on Plant Pluto

October 2, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  5. Evan

I watched literally one minute right before I put my kids to bed earlier. As a conservative, I'll go ahead and say (without watching any more of the debate) that Palin will not prevail tonight.

Knowledge is one thing, delivery is another. Someone can have no to little knowledge, make an excellent delivery and come out smelling like a rose. Obama has proven this time and time again. It won't happen for Palin.

But what I really can't wait to see is the commentary by Roland. His columns and his TV commentary during the conventions clearly prove that he cannot wait for Obama to be president. It's clear that he just wants a black man as president, period. It comes across as being personal & that he (Roland) has ax to grind. Palin could wipe the floor with Biden, it could be as plain as day, with virtually every paper or website concurring, and Martin still wouldn't write a glowing review.

October 2, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  6. Steven

Roland, I did not see one negative comment towards Biden; not one. Also, no issues of race in your comments? This must be a first, or I didn't look closely enough.

October 2, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  7. sj

This debate just reiterated why I stopped supporting McCain after his VP decision was announced.

October 2, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  8. LB-NJ

Great job Gov Palin. You are definately Main Street America. I will vote for you hands down!!

October 2, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  9. Wende

Biden rocked the house!

October 2, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  10. White Mother for Obama!!

Sure she can do better with rehearsed lines...Ive noticed alot of her talk was lines that McCain uses and phrases he uses. Not her own. She repeated alot to take up time... not a whole lot of specifics. She can talk about backwards all she wants she did just as much. Double speak. As well as FALSE statements against Obama/Biden records.

I think Biden did AWESOME!! He was right on with everything and loved him. Palin put me to sleep with her blabbering BUT Biden really kept my attention!!

October 2, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  11. Scott

Biden won. Palin was like a robot that just repeated what had been put into its limited memory banks. Plus, I thought her remark about Biden's wife getting her reward in heaven was incredibly mean given that Biden's first wife died in a car accident.

October 2, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  12. Anthony

Biden won this debate. Palin came in with a script and followed it, and didn't answer the questions. She even admitted she wasn't going to answer the questions in the way Biden or the moderator wanted.

October 2, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  13. Danny Dancy

How can people be serious about a Biden Obama ticket. Obama picks a man that says he is unfit to be commander and chief and that he would be proud to be McCain's running mate. Now he has completely went the other way. For a ticket that promises change, it sure looks like more of the same. I hate when people question my intelligence.

October 2, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  14. Ann

Biden won. There is no debating that.

October 2, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  15. Julia

Mr. Martin, I completely agree with you. How can you expect the possibile president to be effective if his or her mediocracy is being viewed as okay. Step your game up and make us believe. Having said that, Biden did an awesome job addressing issues and actually answering the questions.

October 2, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  16. jerome

No Obama
    I want Mccain to win
    Go get em Palin
    Go get em John
    Every one calm down the
    Republicans are goona win.

October 2, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  17. Nick Patterson

[Sarah Palin] has lied tonight about building schools in Afghanistan, there are no such federal efforts to build schools in Afghanistan. This link is the only evidence of American activity to influence education in Afghanistan

Other than that, she did what she was supposed to do and that was to be a promotional tool for John McCain, Biden attached McCain to Bush and really stuck with the basic strategy. Had he deviated (which he is known to do) Palin might have run out in front tonight on VP duties.

October 2, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  18. Matt in PA

Biden won. Palin didn't make any huge mistakes, but she didn't answer any questions either. How many questions did she answer by saying we have to stop "greed and corruption". She admonished Biden for looking back at Bush's policies, but has no response when he suggests McCain's policies are the same as Bush's. Biden's attack on McCain being a Maverick was also great.

October 2, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  19. Michelle

Palin – did she answer any questions? Were we talking about Alaska the entire night?

I loved Biden's confidence when answering the questions and I really enjoyed when he stood up for fathers, she tried to play the mom card. He was very clear and concise sorry for the republicans unless it was about energy (which I will give Plain she is good on Energy) she could not answer nor pronounce foreign leaders name.

Biden wins hands down! Go Dems!

October 2, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  20. LB-NJ

BLAH-BLAH-BLAH BYE BYE BIDEN!!!!!

October 2, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  21. Delesia

Biden won hands down and I agree with unbelieveable....she's rude and very disrespectful. Palin hits below the belt and that's her purpose in this campaign. I personally feel she stated the "heaven" comment to throw Biden off! Thank GOD he did not fall into her trap.

Palin hardly answered any of the question straight forward or with facts. She's the one out of touch....not McCain!

October 2, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  22. Don

Wow... I was so impressed with Joe Biden tonight. He certainly was in a tough position from the start but he aquitted himself nicely. Great debate. I believe he won hands down... and made quite a few attacks on McCain that landed.

Sarah Palin danced around nearly every question. I think that she is absolutely unsuited for being anywhere near the presidency.

October 2, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  23. Marina

She obviously does not know the definition of an Achilles heel.

October 2, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  24. Mary

Roland,
    I was not impressed by Palin... totally not a VP choice America needs. There were questions she did not answer not ready to lead... She is not a Maverick – need more training.

October 2, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  25. Derek

I've tivo'd the debate. I am specifically going to watch it again to count how many times Palin said "maverick" and "reform" .

October 2, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |