October 2nd, 2008

Martin: Raise the bar for Palin and Biden

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/27/art.split.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Biden and Gov. Palin will take center stage Thursday night."]
(CNN)–Expectations are high for Palin AND Biden. Many of you read my commentary this week on CNN.com and I haven’t changed my opinion.

I’m tired of Washington journalists continuing to say that the expectations are low, and the bar even lower, for Gov. Sarah Palin.

And the same goes for Sen. Joe Biden.

One of these two will be Vice President of the United States. How in the world do we tell our children every day to have high expectations in the classroom, but we should expect the vice president candidates to not raise their game? Nonsense.

It’s time for Biden and Palin to show America what they are really made of.

Bring it on!

JUMP IN ON THE CONVERSATION WITH ROLAND MARTIN

1. St. Louis

In this format Gov. Palin was ok. Sen. Biden was outstanding. One could see his superior debate skills by answering the question and backing it up with facts. Gov. Palin needs to take debate 101–Answer the question.

October 2, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  2. Brenda

I was offended by Palin's remark about the government. As a government employee, I do not know of a harder working or more dedicated workforce. Palin's comments devalue what we do.

October 2, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  3. chad

this is the most liberal bunch of guys. Is there one republican in this room? Just curious.

October 2, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  4. Lesa

I really don't know where to begin. I'm still stunned that she's even up there at the podium.

That being said, would someone for the Love of God give that woman a "g" to put on the end of her words.

She has the nerve to talk about improving education when every single word that SHOULD end in a "g" doesn't include one.

She just sounds ignorant rather than her lame attempt to feel closer to "middle America." It's insulting!

October 2, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  5. Lee

Did I hear her say O'Biden somewhere in the debate?

October 2, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  6. Sherrie in New Jersey

Palin – Can't remember the general's name, wouldn't answer questions about bankruptcy, etc. Not a Katie Couric moment, but very close and SNL will have a field day. this weekend! "Can I call you Joe?" PLEASE, step aside. Thumbs up to Biden, I was worried he would make a blunder, but he had very good self control and restrained himself for correcting Palin when she kept mispronouncing the general's name. My mind is made up after tonight – Obama/Biden

October 2, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  7. Donna

Being folksy and winking at the camera doesn't cut it! Palin is way short on substance and can only response with canned responses. I noted at least 9 questions that she could not and did not answer directly. Biden ran rings around her – he's sharp, experienced and ready to lead if need be. Biden definitely showed he will be the next Vice President.

October 2, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  8. Austin in OH

They're going to have to rewrite the movie Top Gun, because I am no longer saying that word. It does not mean what I think she thinks it means.

As to who won – she won the winking competition and Ms Congeniality. He won on substance and not coming across as a sexist lecturer.

All in all – Biden won the debate.

October 2, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  9. Anonymous

what the hell was that! A Pete and repeat contest? Palin, was horrible! she hardly ever answered a complete question.

October 2, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  10. Kenneth W. Jones, M.D.

ROLAND DID YOU SEE THE MCCAIN AD WITH RAINES ABOUT THE BAIL OUTS. HOW INTERESTING THAT THE REPUBLICANS PUT THE FACE OF AN AFRICAN AMERICAN FRONT AND CENTER THEN SHOWED SENATOR OBAMA'S FACE. I KNEW THAT THEY WERE GOING TO PULL A WILLIE HORTON SOMETIME. THE REPUBLICANS CANNOT GET AWAY FROM BIGOTRY AND RACISM
    KENNETH

October 2, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  11. Whitespideralex

I think her debate style is kind of frivolous.
    Maybe some people like it but I don't, considering she is campagning for V.P.
    She did well in the first half, but as it moved to foreign issues, she did not, as predicted, show enough content in her.

But to be fair, what she did has exceeded what has been expected out of her.

October 2, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  12. Jamie

Biden is a genius.He should be elected emperor for life.

October 2, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  13. Anjanette

Are we a global economy or is everything simply based off of Alaska's standards.
    Palin did not seem to understand anything beyond her own state of Alaska, her lack of experience to the economy and the world was evident tonight.

By the way what is this Maverick mess?

October 2, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  14. Michael Lavopa

The Presidential nominees could learn a lesson about debating from Biden and Palin, I got more out of this debate than i suspect i will from the next two presidential debates. Biden AAA+++

October 2, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  15. Melanie

I believe that Palin won this debate and showed strength in many areas... energy, executive experience, prior business experience... and she called Biden on some past comments he has made. Let us not forget that Joe Biden said Obama was not ready to be the President of the United States. Biden said that he might be ready someday but is not now and that this is not a job that lends itself to on the job training.

For VP, I am looking for someone who can make a good team with the President and it seems that Biden opposed most things that Obama stood for UNTIL he was asked to be his VP.

October 2, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  16. d j matulewicz

We must look forward to a NEW administration, who ever wins the election. I think all have learned from past errors & want to change the way government is run. I think Palin will best serve McCain's agenda in the event she may step in. I'm not so certain about Biden following through with Obama's agenda though.

October 2, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  17. The Whale

Wow.

People are dazzled by Palin since this wasn't Couric Part 3.

How about some details about what McCain-Palin plan to do?

Not a single detail. Not a shred of anything comprehensible.

Biden hands down.

October 2, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  18. sammybo

The boot Camp for Palin unfortunately did not do much but alot of memorising the answers and diverting from the answer, she's definitely a big mistake.

October 2, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  19. John Doherty

Biden won this debate hands down!

Palin read her lines from the podium and did not have an original thought in her head. What's with the I'm going to answer what I want? She needs to answer questions not spout out some canned answer. She wants more power in the VP role. I don't think so!

By the way I'm an independent and I made my mind up tonight to vote for Barack Obama!

–John Doherty

Roland you are awesome and my kids love you!

October 2, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  20. Retired Army in San Antonio

Yes......she did call Biden....."Obiden".......

October 2, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  21. Joshua

Biased any Roland?

October 2, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  22. Ashley in Baton Rouge

Beauty Queen from Alaska did not persuade me (or most likely any of you) to vote for the McCain/Palin administration.

Be smart America! Be selfless! Don't vote for yourself; vote for your country! This is more patriotic than wearing a flag pin on your lapel!

OBAMA/BIDEN '08!!!

October 2, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  23. Robert Helinski

Did Governor Palin actually answer any of her questions that were asked to her?

October 2, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  24. Susie oklahoma

Biden clearly won this one. He was more coherent and to the point. Palin STILL sounds completely rehearsed. I know who I'm voting for and that's Obama/Biden

October 2, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  25. Kurt

Palin won. The debate is to prove yourself worthy of the job...everybody knows how great of a debater Biden is, yet Palin was the huge surprise tonight. Just holding her own against a known debater proves herself. Even if the two were equal on debating abilities, I would still think Palin had the debate. She got Biden laughing too often, which is a sign of defeat.

October 2, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |