October 2nd, 2008

Martin: Raise the bar for Palin and Biden

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/27/art.split.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Biden and Gov. Palin will take center stage Thursday night."]
(CNN)–Expectations are high for Palin AND Biden. Many of you read my commentary this week on CNN.com and I haven’t changed my opinion.

I’m tired of Washington journalists continuing to say that the expectations are low, and the bar even lower, for Gov. Sarah Palin.

And the same goes for Sen. Joe Biden.

One of these two will be Vice President of the United States. How in the world do we tell our children every day to have high expectations in the classroom, but we should expect the vice president candidates to not raise their game? Nonsense.

It’s time for Biden and Palin to show America what they are really made of.

Bring it on!

JUMP IN ON THE CONVERSATION WITH ROLAND MARTIN

1. brian from michigan

First off, the republicans had a brillant strategy in that they lowered the expectations so much for her that anything beyond crash and burn would be a success and I must say she was doing quite well until she dropped the bomb: SHE EQUATED HERSELF WITH DICK CHENEY! He only has the worst approval rating of anyone and she said she agreed with Cheney that she thought the VP should have MORE power. That did it, she's sunk

October 2, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  2. Stacy Su

The problem here is the voting Americans have allowed the politicians divide us as Americans. When Bill Clinton came into office the spending spree began and "ALL" the politicians jumped on board and now look at the mess we are in. I chose to leave both the left & right to become an Independent at vote for the best person. For the first time in over 20 years I wasn't going to vote in a Presidential Election. That was until Sarah Palin came on the scene. Palan battle the a die hard politician and held her own. For the first time I really believe someone is going to clean up Congress.

October 2, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  3. Sydney

HELLO>>>BIDEN WON! He was excellent and had an answer for every bit of foolishness she tried to spit his way. She was trying to be cute and this was not the time nor place. She kept dancing around in her responses and they lacked any real substance.

October 2, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  4. Harmony

He knows what he is talking about, and you can feel it. She on the other hand sounded as if she spent alot of time (in Az.) being "TAUGHT" what to say. I don't believe she is not only ready to be Vice Presidnet, or God Forbid, President of the USA. Her "Home Town" good ole girl comments were "cute", but she can't get away with that running a country!!!!!

5. Glen

Biden, hands down.

Palin did better than I thought she would do; certainly no disaster.

But Biden clearly won the debate start to finish.

6. PALIN IS A JOKE

She is so confused, time to go back to Alaska... She was horrible!!!!

7. Change in MD

So in an interview before she was selected for the ticket she did not know what the VP does, now she wants an expanded role for the VP?

I was absolutley ILL watching and listening to this woman.

8. Craig, Seattle WA

Gov. Palin's tactics tonight has been one of evasion. She's stuck purely to pre-prepared statements–snippets from previous speeches or developed for the debate. She's made no effort to actually debate Biden–she's tried to make the debate a stump speech. We still have no idea what she actually thinks.

9. Bway1ner

Conservatives are jumping with joy! Palin didn't fall on her face!
    Of course she didn't answer specific questions either! She just made up the questions...and then answered them! Amazing! Psychotic!
    Biden CLEARLY has a grasp of the problems our country faces, Domestic and Foreign, and can respond with sensible answers off the cuff.
    Palin will take years to catch up!
    WE DON'T HAVE THAT LONG!
    And, for her to channel Ol' Ronald Reagan: "Here you go again, Joe"
    Enough said about a McCain/Palin American future!

10. Bill

Biden got his butt kicked. He made an admirable effort, but he lost.

11. k

ie Roland Martins 10:05 comment. "biden couldn't of smacked her, or words to that effect. Well if he had he probably would have been gutted like a moose. The majority of you people are morons, born and bred. God help us.

12. Willy Brown

Old tired out Joe Blew it!

13. JaG

Biden won? Against who??? He rarely answered a question clearly, instead relying on the old democratic standby of pointing fingers at the past instead of stating what he would do in the future. Palin was a clear winner. Prior to this debate I would have thought Biden would win but he showed me he is more a reactionary person rather proactive with his thoughts and ideas. For the Anti- Palin crowd, it wouldn't make a difference had she hit a home run, you would still discredit her and not give her her due. Save America, DONT vote for Obama/Biden!!

14. OHIOmomforO

Biden by a landslide. No detail from Sarah, just the same words over & over again. She would not even answer the questions. Of course, if you're a maverick, you can do whatever you want; you don't have to answer to the American people.

15. John

It was obvious on the foreign policy issues that Palin really didn`t know what she was talking about she often could not respond to Biden about the foreign policy issues she would keep going back to energy in Alaska.

16. LB-NJ

I found Biden blabblering all over the place. He did not connect like Gov Palin did. She did Great. He look like a robot.

17. April

Go Biden, Go!!!!!
    He killed it tonight. He was so good and strong.
    I loved the fact that Biden talked about him being a single parent.
    He started to chock up there and even I started to tear up myself

October 2, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  18. Anne, with an "E"

A few of the times she did not even answer the questions. She started talking the same way she spoke to Katie Couric, just without all of the Uhs, hems, haws. It should not be considered a win for her since she did not lose. Even I can debate if I am coached for a week. There was no substance in her discussions. And by the way, who the hell is "Joe 6 pack?" We prefer Absolut with a twist. I cannot relate to a lipsticked pit bull, hockey mom who's name is joe that drinks beer. Give us a break.

October 2, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  19. Dave

Biden won
    The republican's have engineered the greatest financial rape of this country for the last 8 years , Every recession every war and the biggest government defcit spending and biggest growth of government
    has happened during republican administartions while they espouse the opposite and use jingoism and patriotism to fool people that they stand for the opposite. If you tell a lie often enough people believe it even in the face of the truth.
    It is time for a change.

October 2, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  20. rudy

Is Palin the most qualified Republican McCain could find? What an insult to women and America.

October 2, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  21. Michael Pitman

Why do you suppose Gov. Palin avoided to answer certain questions?

October 2, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  22. Mark j Gay

Tonight shows that not only Joe Biden is Vice Presidential ready, he is also Presidential ready!

October 2, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  23. America think for you

Joe Biden put that cheerleader out of words. America look at her debate answers she is clueless and not ready to lead this great nation. I do not know that if she did not answer the question asked but, she did not answer them directly. Joe Biden is the projected winner of that debate

October 2, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  24. wasabemon

I think Biden won on substance – which is the most important thing in debates....and Palin only won points to hold up her public image showing she can go toe to toe in this debate. That being said she still did not convince me on how or why I should be confident or secure in having her take such a high seat in government or being a hearbeat away from being the President.

There were no major "gaffes" on either side as all were anticipating. Earlier Palin seemed to be speaking from memorized cramming sessions, then seemed to get in a comfort zone later on. While Biden was able to handle his own easily.

October 2, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  25. Linda Lauterio

The health insurance did it for me. I have several medical problem's I don't believ I could get health insurance for any amount,with out a group coverage. And $5.000 wouldn't begin to cover a preieum for me.

October 2, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |