October 2nd, 2008

Martin: Raise the bar for Palin and Biden

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/27/art.split.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Biden and Gov. Palin will take center stage Thursday night."]
(CNN)–Expectations are high for Palin AND Biden. Many of you read my commentary this week on CNN.com and I haven’t changed my opinion.

I’m tired of Washington journalists continuing to say that the expectations are low, and the bar even lower, for Gov. Sarah Palin.

And the same goes for Sen. Joe Biden.

One of these two will be Vice President of the United States. How in the world do we tell our children every day to have high expectations in the classroom, but we should expect the vice president candidates to not raise their game? Nonsense.

It’s time for Biden and Palin to show America what they are really made of.

Bring it on!

JUMP IN ON THE CONVERSATION WITH ROLAND MARTIN

1. Patrick

America iscertainly not ready for a VP who says that "I've only been at this for five weeks" She is not ready!

October 2, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  2. Jerry in Missouri

Biden definitely won.

October 2, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  3. Irene

My husband and I normally vote Republican, however this yearwe are definitely voting for Obama/Biden. We need change and leaders who will listen to our needs on key issues. If they want to spend a trillion dollars raising taxes to help everyday people I would rather do that then have another trillion dollar bail out the banks plan that would be inevitable with a McCain mentality that is for corporate America.

October 2, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  4. aliou FL John Mckeating five

Palin said she is not ready for presidential politics because she has only been there for 5 weeks.

I think anyone watching this evening knows that there is no repeat moment in presidential politics. There is no time to take back mistakes.

All her acting was like she was in a beauty context. except that the moose played a game on her

We just can trust our future in her hands. photo .

October 2, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  5. Mom from Grayslake IL

I can tell you that the folksy phrases didn't play with me. I want my VP boring, intelligent and not evil (a la Cheney).

October 2, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  6. sjprugh

You have got to be kidding me.

Palin has no command of facts or figues, votes or vetos. How can she preside over the senate or possible guide a troubled country if she can't answer a straight forward question. Gwen was lobbing them out there and Biden was being extremely kind... and Palin was still unable to answer a question.

October 2, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  7. D.B.

Sarah would make a great VP for an advertising agency. All slogans and no substance. She kept changing the subject, while Biden was right on target. Biden won....hands down.

October 2, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  8. Jamaal in Jersey

Thank you Sarah Palin for basically reciting a speech and using a few stored facts. Thank you as well to the McCain campaign for trying to sell Americans a "characterization or persona" in one Sarah Palin.
    Biden won the debate easily, although the whole debate was like a mine field.

October 2, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  9. Darren - Orlando

In almost every question posed to the candidates Biden responded with specifics while Palin responded with either clearly canned responses (some almost identical to parts of her Couric interview) or outright gibberish. If this was a boxing match it may not have been a knockout for Biden, but it was a clear victory with him winning every round.

October 2, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  10. Rashad Hope

Biden for sure! I heard specifics from him on almost every answer. Where were her's? And i think she was a little disrespectful to the moderator on the question about the vp position.

October 2, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  11. David

Gov. Palin turned in a performance. Sen. Biden provided us a view of what competence and intellect look like in action. How did her coaches miss the fact that she can't properly pronounce the words, "Iraq" and "nuclear?"

October 2, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  12. Beverly

Joe Biden won the debate! He spoke about the issues that
    the people wanted to hear. Jobs, people losing there homes,
    health care. Those are issues that most concern me and others!

October 2, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  13. Charles Morgan

I view Palin's performance as putting a tourniquet on. True the bleeding has stop- but what's more importance- is the patient is still in very bad shape.

October 2, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  14. Nick Patterson

Oh and did anybody else notice that she mis-pronounced nuclear, I bet she could've used that speechwriter from the convention, remember Roland, when her tele-promptor phonetically spelled 'new-clear' for her.

Right back to nucular huh?

October 2, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  15. Peggy Forman

I am saying an extra prayer tonight for sure after watching this debate that Obama wins this election because I can't stand the thought of Palin making major decisions on my great country of America to keep me safe from terriotists or making this economy better.

October 2, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  16. susan rattray

Joe Biden won hands down. I don't think Palin listens when asked a question. Her answers were not ok, not for a vice president of the United States of America. And to be blunt, from here in Australia, it's a rather scary thing listening to her disjointed sentences that half the time made no sense. I cannot be 'kind' to her. The vice presidency is TOO important for that.

October 2, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  17. Martha

Biden won. Palin did not answer the questions asked and kept in her comfort zone. Biden was right on!

October 2, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  18. LB-NJ

God the only thing Biden Killed was Biden/Obama being elected. He can always go back to practicing law maybe.

October 2, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  19. zemar

Please, America...PLEASE. Keep this crazy, uninformed lady out of the white house! Please, I was undecided until tonight, oh my GOD! Please America!

October 2, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  20. Paul Johnson (Glasgow, Ky.)

No game-changer for this undecided voter tonight...BUT...Joe Biden provided the only "human" moment when he choked up when talking about his family. I respect him a little more as a person after that, for letting the slick, politcal guard down for a moment.

October 2, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  21. Wanda

Really interesting how Sarah Palin could sound so totally UNINFORMED when questioned by Katie Couric and then turn in a respectable performance during the debate??? She must have had one heck of a "CRAM" session at McCain's Sedona estate!!! Memorizing McCain's position for her debate "performance" doesn't mean she is qualified to be a heartbeat away from being the President of the US. She was well coached and must have had a great deal of material to commit to memory before the debate. She is still unqualified to be vice president of the United States!!!

October 2, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  22. laura

Govenor Palin was outstanding in the debate far more sincere and realistic than Senator Biden. She is a real maverik and she does exemplifiy change in Washington and in America. Mccain Palin have it for reform and change - all the way

October 2, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  23. bobby

Biden clearly won the debate in my view, did anyone notice during the debate when she said Al Quaeda was shia muslim? Once again showing the understanding of republicans and her own campaigns misunderstanding of the muslim world and their diferences?

October 2, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  24. R Duquette

If you are happy with a hockey mom (or a Governor of a state with the population less than the City of Indanapolis) as VP then Pallin held her own. If experience and content count then Biden did well and continued to widen the lead that is growing for Obama

October 2, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  25. David McCord

I'm tired of hearing that Palin held her own, because she somehow endeared herself to Americans once again-is this a beauty pageant?? In a presidential debate she just doesn't add up. She looked like she was running for Student Council.

October 2, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |