October 2nd, 2008

Martin: Raise the bar for Palin and Biden

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/27/art.split.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Biden and Gov. Palin will take center stage Thursday night."]
(CNN)–Expectations are high for Palin AND Biden. Many of you read my commentary this week on CNN.com and I haven’t changed my opinion.

I’m tired of Washington journalists continuing to say that the expectations are low, and the bar even lower, for Gov. Sarah Palin.

And the same goes for Sen. Joe Biden.

One of these two will be Vice President of the United States. How in the world do we tell our children every day to have high expectations in the classroom, but we should expect the vice president candidates to not raise their game? Nonsense.

It’s time for Biden and Palin to show America what they are really made of.

Bring it on!

JUMP IN ON THE CONVERSATION WITH ROLAND MARTIN

1. Jennifer from Atlanta

Biden cleaned the floor with her but at least she didn't sound too nutty this time around.

October 2, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  2. Ron M. in Florida

Watching the debate was painful when having to listen to Gov. Palin evade the core of each question. She chose to ignore the question being asked and instead answer each question with the same tired tag lines over and over. I felt that there was so little substance behind each answer that regardles of whether I agree with her positions she did not represent them intelligently. The presidency requires someone polished and knowledgable who can interact with world leaders and generate respect by being able to convey their convictions in a way that sounds presidential, not like a small town mayor at a pep rally. Gov. Palin is only one person away from the presidency if John McCain wins and that scares me.
    Joe Biden answered each question posed to him with candid factual statements. I feel he has the needed grasp of the world stage and the polish to step in as president if the worst were to occur.

October 2, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  3. Ann

Biden won the debate tonight. I do not understand why Palin did not answer a few questions and kept going back to old ones. Also, why did she always have to be reading off of a sheet of paper she had on the podium? It seems all of her answers were rehearsed.

October 2, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  4. DeAnna

I agree with that last statement, Roland. I will only say that Palin has her own Pastor issues and I don't think they want to "go there". Besides, Palin has dragged so many bags on to the "straight talk express" that it is surely derailed for good.

October 2, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  5. pb

I saw Joe Biden in Ohio a couple weeks ago. He is no different in person than on national TV. I now have more respect for the man than I did before tonight. You can talk all you want about her "zingers" and Biden's lack of a comeback, but if you use your brain and not your funny bone,,Biden won this debate hands down. His knowledge and bearing are so superior to her "Joe Six Packs", hockey mom rhetoric, I really don't see how you can imagine her as VP of the USA.

October 2, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  6. Tinne

If the republicans make it into office this time, I'm moving back to Europe.

October 2, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  7. Jodie

I am a middle aged female white democrat. I supported John Edwards. I cried when I learned the truth about him. In the meantime, I moved on to support Hillary. I was very disappointed when she didn't win. However, I have always found Obama inspirational and I can sign on to his visionary message.

I do not agree with the views of Sarah Palin, but I was not rooting for her to stumble. I am very happy that she performed well in tonight's debate. Thoughtful people will be able to discern which position represents tthem best.

I resent being put into the media's "category" of "white women" because I think "our" view of this election is more complex than the media's interpretation. I have never been contacted by a pollster, so when I hear the "white women" statistic touted on the news, I wonder who they asked.....

God bless you all and this process.

October 2, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  8. Jim

Palin was excellent and true. Biden portrays himself as forever stuck in the Washington group of pointing fingers and blaiming someone else. I can sleep comfortably at nite knowing John MCain is guarding the country

October 2, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  9. Mrs. Texas Teacher

Good night, Roland. We teachers have to get up early and be ready to teach the voters of tomorrow! I learned what I wanted to know from the debate and the commentary here. Really good..... I will sleep well tonight.

October 2, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  10. EP

Biden and Obama got my vote! They are smart, understand that we are in a state of despair and are between experience and education, they will do what it takes to make things right! Finally!!! They should hire the Clintons as financial, economic and world advisors. We love them!!

October 2, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  11. Strong obama supporter

Palin didn't answer any of the question she was asked...she completely avoided all this and spoke in undefined parables. She spoke of war, oil, and mavericks. This woman was completely coached and rehearse the questions and answers.

I am donating right now to the Obama Campaign. Sarah Palin should not be allowed to answer that 3am called.

October 2, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  12. R

Well done to both of them. Joe Biden used his experience and Palin used all information which was dictated during past 2 weeks of campaign in McCain’s ranch and many other educated people who worked hard to make her ready. STILL she was off about mortgage crises and finance. But, fortunately there was an energy subject which she could talk about

October 2, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  13. elaine

roland, get a good night's sleep and don't go out for coffee with this group....they are all about political correctness....call it for what it is...

October 2, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  14. sasha in south dakota

I loved the debate!! Biden is a great man with the right kind of experience to do the job. He was the winner! Very intelligent and knowledgable! Go Obama/Biden!! You have my vote!

October 2, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  15. Cheesehead

If this were a congeniality contest, maybe Sarah Palin would have won because she appealed to many "regular folks" and had alot of cute comebacks. But it's not about who I may want as a friend, it's about who I trust to help lead this country and Joe Biden delivered. He was comfortable and it was clear that he knew what he was talking about and believes that he can help make the change that we desperately need. Just because she didn't flop, doesn't make it a victory. We need to hold her accountable and stop letting her dodge the issues.

October 2, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  16. Michael Saunders

Your Political commentators at CNN are shameless. Everyone on the panel is so biased, it is funny!. Why don't everyone on the panel just say they are voting for Barack Obama and end the show. I am an American African (born in America not Africa – hence, not African American – born African) who will vote for the McCain and Palin ticket. Gov. Palin won the debate hands down, however, I know "YOUR" polls will say different.

October 2, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  17. R lost my vote

I am ready to vote democrat! US wake up, get smart, look at the economy, the mess we are in... we need talent like Biden and Obama! I am all for them. Palin did a terrible job reading her notes, she was nervous and never answered a question w a smart proposal for policy or change. And PLEASE who needs a 100 year old Maverick!? What the hell does that mean?We need change, we need smarts, we need energy!

October 2, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  18. Elle What

Fire GWEN,

How dare she! She has asked Senator Biden to lead with answers much more often than to Governor Palin. This has given Palin an advantage on how to answer the questions. She was able to take notes and be schooled on what is what, check her notes, and how to pose her answer because Biden was much more versed on the issues and understood the questions. She basically responded to Biden's answers and rarely answered the few question Gwen posed to her. Palin would change the focus to something that was either saying something contrary to Biden or of rehashing of restating a stump speech.

Shame on Gwen.

Gwen gave Palin the easy questions or ones that she already had answers to because she was asked before by the media.

Palin did not express war strategy like Biden did and it would have been evident if Gwen would have asked her first.

This was a waste of a debate.

Did Gwen cower to the book rumors or what?

Please PBS, do not allow her to moderate such important debates again.

Thank you CNN.

October 2, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  19. Rita

No one is admitting the painful and shameful reality, this debate was not and cannot be equal. We are talking about a freshly elected governor, Palin, vs, Joe Biden, a senator who has a track record of 35 years of serving the American people. The fact is that, Palin cannot and will not be able to measure up to Biden. Palin might have done well....but the fact stayedthe same.....She is not qualified to be the VP of this country.

October 2, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  20. bob and pat j

we have been registered democrats for over 30 years but we will be voting for mccain. cnn is so one sided in their reporting it's a shame.it is your job (as a news station) to be neutral but people like roland martin think that anyone who says anything negative about obama is a racist people like that should not be allowed to be on national tv.

October 2, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  21. Lynett

Tonight made my choice on who I will vote for Barack Obama and Joe Biden. If I hear Maverick, Energy and John Mccain in the same sentence again from Palin, I will explode. I am a woman and very proud of a woman standing up for what she believes. I am somewhat disappointed with Biden because I wanted to see Biden's true colors come out. He began to show his colors when he corrected Palin about Mccain being a maverick. He hit it out the ballpark for me when he talked about being a single father and he knew what it felt like. I had an idea of who I wanted to vote for but tonight set it for me.

October 2, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  22. Heavy

Maybe you are right...Palin isn't the correct running mate. They should have called Ann Coulter.

October 2, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  23. Ann

This debate showed Biden's knowledgeable experience and ability to be VP of our country.

Palin is never clear in her statements. She doesn't define what she's talking about and she never answers questions directly. She's not qualified to be VP. There are too many issues in which she has little knowledge in, especially in foreign policy. The funny thing is, while McCain has used the "Obama does not have enough experience" point as a primary attack against the Democrats, he goes and chooses a VP who has even LESS experience than Obama. For someone who is running for VP, Palin does not even know what the Bush Doctrine is, does not know how to respond to our economy's bankruptcy and subprime mortgage crisis. All she can do is divert back to her pointless efforts on changing energy policies. She couldn't lay out a clear plan for an extremely important issue, Iraq.

All she can talk about is what her “track record” is in Alaska. Sorry, but this isn’t Alaska and this is the entire United States of America that you will be screwed over in trying to run.

Yes, she related to the average American, and that may make people feel safer because “she understands your problems.” But does she understand how to fix them? Does she understand how to restore the nation's reputation as the best country in the world with foreign countries?

In regards to an exit strategy for Iraq, she doesn't know how to explain it. Biden clearly said him and Obama are going to end the war and all she could say was "that is a white flag of surrender". Does that matter? We're putting our nation, AND our troops (which she appears to care so much about) in even more danger to STAY there and KEEP the war up just so we won't "surrender".

I'm a woman and I'm voting for Obama/Biden.

October 2, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  24. Brent

Biden missed a big fact....article 1 of the constitution describes the legislative branch of government, not the executive branch. He single handedly justified Cheney's power grab.

October 2, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  25. Spring Showers

Palin – Thanks. But No Thanks!

Executive Women against Palin because she does not act like any CEO. People in Alaska are starting to wake up about Palin, so let's all see the light that she is NOT ready to be Governor, Vice President or President.

October 2, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |