October 2nd, 2008

Martin: Raise the bar for Palin and Biden

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/27/art.split.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Biden and Gov. Palin will take center stage Thursday night."]
(CNN)–Expectations are high for Palin AND Biden. Many of you read my commentary this week on CNN.com and I haven’t changed my opinion.

I’m tired of Washington journalists continuing to say that the expectations are low, and the bar even lower, for Gov. Sarah Palin.

And the same goes for Sen. Joe Biden.

One of these two will be Vice President of the United States. How in the world do we tell our children every day to have high expectations in the classroom, but we should expect the vice president candidates to not raise their game? Nonsense.

It’s time for Biden and Palin to show America what they are really made of.

Bring it on!

JUMP IN ON THE CONVERSATION WITH ROLAND MARTIN

1. T S C

Still the same Sarah Palin .. wanted to talk about her family.. Most of us have family, and are not interested in hearing more on her family.

She was well rehearsed. But didn't answer many of the questions. Was she using the "Slang" words to try and connect to us middle American?? Does she think this is the way we talk??. Why the wink??? Sarah Palin is no middle American, and cannot connect with us. Knowns nothing about the lower 48, or the out side world.

You could tell Biden knew what he was talking about.

The Straight Line Express, has run off the edge ot that Bridge to Nowhere.

Go Obama/Biden GO

October 2, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  2. mike

jesus,is me or could you take listening to her for more than a hour and a half her voice is neurotic and irritable....

October 2, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  3. Glen

The change the Palin talks about must be what is left over from a dollar spent on taxes, which if true to the Republican record will not be more than a penny or two.

October 2, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  4. Pam

Biden won hands down! Palin gave it a shot...

October 3, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  5. Shirley

I stand behind the facts and I feel Sarah Palin came short on the facts. She stated issues about the Obama/Biden ticket which were not true. Search the records please and pick the right President/Vice President for the United States of American. I am a proud American and I pray that the country looks beyond race, and selects the best person for the government. Obama is that person and deserves to be President and given the chance to bring real change to our country.

October 3, 2008 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  6. Anonymous

she looks like shes in a beauty contest : not giving real answers,just making a comment and then smiling or winking

October 3, 2008 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  7. Christina

I think Joe Biden, came in the debate very strong, and ended up very strong, it nailed it on the issues that the American people are concerned about everyday in their lives. He hit all the topics that I as an American are concerned about.
    She kind of evaded the answers and went right back to the energy topics, which that seemed to be only her comfort zone. She kind of rambled on about things, that at times ,to me didn't make much sense.
    I liked when Joe Biden said he knows about family because he had to raise his sons after his wife and daughter died, and held back, that was a pretty emotional time of the whole night, I say Biden won, he sounded positive on issues that are affecting our nation right now.

October 3, 2008 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  8. Zorana

Gov. Palin did not answer a single question in a straightforward manner. This is what we should be paying attention to, not her style or anything else. Joe Biden won this debate. But doesn't sexism count both ways? Why is Joe Biden always being referred to as slick, smooth talker, instead of poised and respectful which is what we would be calling it if it were a woman.

October 3, 2008 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  9. Lucy

Raise the bar? After watching Palin tonight I have to ask – what bar?? Does she not remind anyone of the female lead in the move FARGO? Is this really the professional, world leader the USA wants representing? Well golly gee and dog gone it – can't figure out why so many folks in the rest of the world thinks we are just a bunch of dummies??? Some actually think she is fine....are you kidding me?

October 3, 2008 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  10. Aly

Why is the rest of the world more perceptive in our politics, then we are? If we opened this year’s presidential election to the world, Senator Obama would win hands down! Can Americans be that blind? McCain is very old and Palin is not ready to take his place should he expire. Our economy is in trouble and McCain says it’s not and then he agreed that it was, and then he says it’s not because his advisors pulled a rabbit out of his cap and decided that the economy was the hard working Americans and not the social system of production, exchange, distribution, and consumption of goods and services that all the dictionaries says it is. Wow, if I knew all it took was a pretty smile and some low socioeconomic catchy phrases I would have run for president a long time ago.

October 3, 2008 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  11. Thomas in PDX

Any part of America that thinks "folksy" is an admirable and needed quality in one of our leaders is a part of America we can do without. I am so tired of the "intellectually handicapped" in this country thinking that they should have a say in the political arena. How about learning about the issues and bettering yourself so that you, in turn, can better our nation?

A vote for any ticket upon which Palin is a part is a vote for laziness, mediocrity, and the pig-headed willingness to wallow in those dark and pathetic qualities. The only people who could have been impressed with Palin's performance tonight are those incapable of rational thought.

October 3, 2008 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  12. al

i think tonight debate was good except that gov. palin was not answering all the question

October 3, 2008 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  13. Jvibe

Unfortunately, Palin was not selected in order to appeal to anyone who is smart enough to be in this blog. The republicans are working hard for the votes of the uneducated, religious and close minded citizens who's vote holds equal weight. The just want to stay in so they can continue the same game and prevent investigations into what they really did to this country. Palin's fans "don't look backward" in order to learn from the past

October 3, 2008 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  14. Lynn Taylor-Mitchell

I would like to see SP up against Hillary, now to me that's where the rubber meets pantyhose. Woman to woman and then we'll see that SP can't hold a candle to HC. I think she should be held to the same standard as Biden, and they shouldnt have kept her away from reporters or media. Let her make snaffoos like everyone else! Hillary had to. I'm an Obama supporter but I think Hillary stood toe to toe with the men in the primaries and she ran a good race much better than miss out of touch hockey mom.

October 3, 2008 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  15. PS

I think a lot of people that watched the Couric interviews were ready to watch a train wreck tonight, but Palin beat expectations. If this debate came right after her nomination speech, it would have been regarded as mediocre, but after last week's debacle, the fact that she was able to speak in coherent sentances (albeit with answers that were often to different questions then were asked) was heralded as a big moment for her.

While Biden won the debate, she beat the spread.

October 3, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  16. Linda

I agree that Gov. Palin did what she had to do to negate some of the negatives she revealed in recent interviews. However, her answers were talking points – well coached and obvious. They were not thoughtful or even thought out. There will be no coaches for our leaders in the White House when a crisis looms over our country. Obama/Biden = thoughtful and knowledgeable.

October 3, 2008 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  17. Mohmmad Khoshkhou

Gov Palin was very over ruling in the Debate.

October 3, 2008 12:45 am at 12:45 am |
  18. Jane

English is my second , no third language and I know how to pronounce "nuclear"

October 3, 2008 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  19. Gypsy King

It was plain to see what we couldnt see,that she had the most high tech ear piece ever made in her ear.I would love to know who was doing the talking for her.I just wish someone had the guts to investigate it.Theres a lot we dont know going on here.

October 3, 2008 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  20. Eddy

Obama/Biden have a good idea of how to fix the problems we face. They have a plan. McCain and Palin do not have a plan, or at least could not explain one. How do you change for the better if you have no plan or just want to continue the same thing? Palin changes the subject when there are tough questions, and she keeps regurgitating the same keywords. I think I won that Palin bingo about 5 minutes into the debate.

People, if CNN is so biased towards democratic party and you feel angry about that, using that anger as a justification to vote republican is absurd and dangerous. That's how communism won so many uneducated people over decades ago. You are being played exactly into Palin's hands: Win over votes by connecting with emotions only, but no substance. Think, people.

October 3, 2008 01:05 am at 1:05 am |
  21. boots

October 3, 2008 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  22. tonya

Very good debate! Sarah held her own....which wasn't much.

Biden held his own and then some....like the questions she didn't answer! T

This confirms what we knew 8 years ago....America is ready and need to change in a forward direction. What we didn't know then, and now know....we are the hope to take us forward! GO OBAMA/BIDEN 08'

October 3, 2008 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  23. boots

excuse my spelling i was writing as i was talking and this is the first time for me i heard pailin say 'u should bring washington to wasilia well did she read her newspaper up there. there is a politician i think a repubilcan on trial for fraud he had a company give him money and work on his house. their is also another who went to jail one yr ago for the same thing and he was connected to Palin somehow. dosn't that mean washington is already there just in a much smaller scale? go Biden be u do u you dont seem to be hiding anything (troopergate)

October 3, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  24. Donna in Florida

Please note: Little Miss Special Needs CUT FUNDS FOR THE SPECIAL OLYMPICS in Alaska. "Near & Dear to your Heart"??? Exactly where is this heart, Sarah? Alaskans – I have seen your Palin and I feel you Pain. Please take her back to she can keep us safe from a Russian invasion.

October 3, 2008 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  25. Frank Pendle

Here's a point I have not seen raised:

I would be willing to bet that many people had not yet been exposed to Joe Biden before the debate. Given the expressive increase in his favorable ratings following the debate – much higher than Gov. Palin's – this may actually translate into an advantage for the Democratic ticket.

October 3, 2008 02:33 am at 2:33 am |