October 2nd, 2008

Martin: Raise the bar for Palin and Biden

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/27/art.split.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Biden and Gov. Palin will take center stage Thursday night."]
(CNN)–Expectations are high for Palin AND Biden. Many of you read my commentary this week on CNN.com and I haven’t changed my opinion.

I’m tired of Washington journalists continuing to say that the expectations are low, and the bar even lower, for Gov. Sarah Palin.

And the same goes for Sen. Joe Biden.

One of these two will be Vice President of the United States. How in the world do we tell our children every day to have high expectations in the classroom, but we should expect the vice president candidates to not raise their game? Nonsense.

It’s time for Biden and Palin to show America what they are really made of.

Bring it on!

JUMP IN ON THE CONVERSATION WITH ROLAND MARTIN

1. Obama is REAL UNITING of the PEOPLE

Roland Martin,
    Sitting here listening the Republican supporter about Palin tells that they too are also out of touch with the American people. My family (including my children) have never lived on $1.2 million, never had enough money to fly from state to state as a family. Even when the economy was seen as it best there were no way to afford to travel as a whole family on the tax payers dime. My husband HAS to work, he can't just go moose hunting and snow boarding any day of the week.

Palin can say what she is paid to say from McCain and camp, there’s NO way she can make me believe she doesn't live the luxury life in the past and now. TO me and my family she is a millionaire wanting to get a position that she is well under qualified for.

October 2, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  2. lou

Nobody was saying take it easy on Hillary. This is the VP of the U.S.A. Ask her some hard question's. She want's the position.

October 2, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  3. Audrey

Just like the rest of you, I believe they'll wire her up. When I saw pictures of her hair down, I said "here we go." Watch for the hook ya'll!!

Roland, you are absolutely correct and thank you for saying it. Those people on the panel with you and other reporters are killing me with this "lower the bar" thing. It's utterly ridiculous.

I'm watching now and Toobin just said all she has to do is form complete sentences!! For a potential VP of the United States of America???? You have got to be kidding me!!! You all need to stop the craziness and pandering!!

October 2, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  4. Marilyn

I want them both to answer the questions asked in the time frame given. No attacking please just answer the question.

October 2, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  5. Faustina

My expectations are high for Palin and Biden.

October 2, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  6. Jasmine

The bar is high for both candidates and well it should be. Both candidates are a heartbeat away from being the President of the united states.

October 2, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  7. Ron was a REP now a DEM

How low do we need to go before we cry ouch. We desreve more from our leaders than tip toeing so we don't weed out the weak.

October 2, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  8. tomas justiniano

its sad! that in campaign the presidential nominees campaigned in Puerto Rico, and now they haven't even mention how they feel about Puerto Rico political status forgetting there is 3.5 million PuertoRican in the country; where 1.05 of them vote that's the same reason when asked i make sure to tell them no to vote. i mean why! they don't care to know whats going on in the island.

October 2, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  9. J. Auld

I so agree with Rolin. Sarah Palin is lowering the expectations for women and our children! Professors always warn their students that cramming for an examination days before will probably not get you a high grade! Palin does not have basic knowledge.

October 2, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  10. mitch

with threats from russia,venezuela,bolivia,iraq,iran,no. korea,afghanistan, pakistan,georgia,ukraine,poland,cuba,and syria, let alone china, we need a vice president to take up some of the diplomatic work that needs to be done at the same time the president is dealing with keeping this country united and focused on re-building our domestic needs. i dont think gov. palin can see all those places from alaska.

October 2, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  11. DONNA

Palin makes me very sad I feel very sorry for her McCain and his REPUBLICAN white old boys club of advisors are making a mockery of her and the presidency. Why else would he have selected this poor simple woman? And anytime I have seen him with her he looks at her strangely ... I cant put my finger on what it is, but it is strange..
    I have been REPUBLICAN my whole life as have my entire family for as far back as I know, but I am voting for Obama/Biden as are many many of my family... McCain is a hot head who I believe uses his time in a prison camp as a POW way too much... He tries to make people feel sorry for him, but he was offered the choice to leave and go home but his ego said NO he wanted to be a HERO .....
    Now he is way too old and way too ill to be in any position of power or responsibility .....
    He should retire gracefully..... I feel Obama and Biden are going to beat McCain so bad in the election that its going to humiliate him, the entire GOP ..........

October 2, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  12. b berntard

I am happy and excited about this debate. yet I know mr. biden is the candidate that can handle the vp position. mrs . palin with all do respect has a loing way to go, here is her opportunity.

October 2, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  13. Rachielle from VA

another thing, i hope that Gwen doesn't let the GOP shake her after this whole book fiasco. they knew about the book. she blasted about it a long time ago. for them to pull this NOW is just plain ridiculous.

October 2, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  14. tickerroland

LB-NJ,

McCain was against the Bush tax cuts. Now he's for it.

McCain was against offshore oil drilling. Now he's for it.

McCain was against the bailout. Now he's for it.

Are those deemed flip flops?

October 2, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  15. Rebekah A.

If she wants to play with the " big boys" she better bring it like a "big girl." If Palin cannot answer a simple question about the books she reads, how the heck can she handle a national crisis???

October 2, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  16. Jim

Experience versus inexperience? What's the big deal? Doesn't matter how she comes off. Take a look around from the economy through foreign policy through whatever. Is anything working? Does anybody really think that a midrange idiot could do any worse than the bunch of low-end morons who've brought your great country to its present state of chaos? Regardless of what happens in the debate it's not going to change the top end of the ticket on either side.

October 2, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  17. Erin in Oklahoma

Wise,

People like you really make me ill. This shouldn't be about race or gender. This is about the future of our country. Do you really want that future in the hands of someone who is clearly out of her league (Palin)? I don't.

October 2, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  18. kim hussein taylor portland, oregon

roland,

she may come across as strong, but there are too many americans who are now demanding substance and she has proven with the few interviews she's done that she has very little knowledge on the really important matters. so she will be just spinning her wheels out there.

i'm sure she's been cramming for this debate for weeks now, but she hasnt had enough time to learn all she needs to know.

the out-of-left-field choice of palin has put a lot more focus on the VP candidates, so i think people are going to expect more than sound bites from them. we're all on to the sound bite thing now, we want to truly understand the cadidates' point of view, cuz that is vitally important for the future of this country!

October 2, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  19. Dee

I will be viewing this from the perspective of each team. This debate will help to demonstrate to Americans, the best combination for our country. Unfortunately, there are too many sound bites of Biden criticizing Obama early on. These really stick in my mind when I look at that team. Palin and McCain show more historical support which I think strengthens that team.

October 2, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  20. wise

Go McCain GO : DOWN with OBama Huss-insane

October 2, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  21. lucy

if Nancy Pelosi can get 197 million for her business investments added to the bail out. I too would rather have Gov. Palin's ethics in the whitehouse

October 2, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  22. Tom Richard

I listen every night..some of us do...I listened as Lou Dobbs professed his "vote in" tonight to ask the question if we believed that Ms. Palin had been " plummelled"...by the liberal press"..

Please sir.If Ms. Palin is being "plumelled", it is because the people of America, the free willing and democratic people of America, are expressing a view..what ever happened to " the only independant coverage of the American presidential election in the USA?"professed by CNN???

I am appalled by the responses of Ms. Palinin the CBS interview with Katie C(sp).

I am Canadian. Not an Americancitizen.. But we are not far apart.Ms. Palin shows no knowledge whatsover of the real world.I don't care if she is "fresh'. or "not from the inner ciircle of Washington:....

All I know is basic American politics: the Vice – President is a"" heart beat"" away from the Presidency""...Putin !!! Roe V Wade?? even I know more...

This is not about "plummelling" Ms. Palin.

It is about her lack of basic and fundamental knowledge.

Sorry, but the Vice Presidency of the United States of America is not a " learning ground". The stakes are too high.

October 2, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  23. Tom

Wuz Up Roland !!!!!
    We gota get obama in there!

Roland Martin,
    CNN Political Joke

October 2, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  24. Space Knight

Palin has a lot to prove, just like Biden does, they are both vying for the second high post in the land.

It is nice to like someone, it is nice to think that they are nice, it is even nice to think that they would be cool to have a beer with, but that didn't work out very well last time.

This time why not get well educated people to fill the highest posts. Enough with getting peolpe just like you and me. I am not afraid to say that someone is marter than I am and put them in charge.

October 2, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  25. Mrs. Texas Teacher

JB.... we need intelligent qualified people to run this country unlike the present administration and McCain who voted with him over 90% of the time! Who thinks they can have a beer at the corner bar with any politician! That is not what they are elected for.... it's to run this country well.... NOT into the Ground! Pa....lease! I mean.... seriously!

October 2, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |