October 2nd, 2008

Martin: Raise the bar for Palin and Biden

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/27/art.split.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Biden and Gov. Palin will take center stage Thursday night."]
(CNN)–Expectations are high for Palin AND Biden. Many of you read my commentary this week on CNN.com and I haven’t changed my opinion.

I’m tired of Washington journalists continuing to say that the expectations are low, and the bar even lower, for Gov. Sarah Palin.

And the same goes for Sen. Joe Biden.

One of these two will be Vice President of the United States. How in the world do we tell our children every day to have high expectations in the classroom, but we should expect the vice president candidates to not raise their game? Nonsense.

It’s time for Biden and Palin to show America what they are really made of.

Bring it on!

JUMP IN ON THE CONVERSATION WITH ROLAND MARTIN

1. kboyer

I can't beleive that we are to know and elected someone to office in 90 days. I just can't do it

October 2, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  2. Angela, Vancouver

Roland,
    I have to say that you are one of few in the media expressing cognitive points with regards to this election process, and the "Palin factor", in particular. Why do you think more people aren't pointing out the obvious?

October 2, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  3. Napoletana

With the nomination of Palin this election has become a joke. There is an insane amount of analysis and attention on a woman who doesn't deserve a second glance.

October 2, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  4. Obama in PA

If her hair is down and she is doing well.....ummmmm

October 2, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  5. John.C

Hi Roland I support Obama/Biden and hope they win the election. What do you think of Palin saying she has foreign policy experience because Alaska is next to Russia?

October 2, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  6. Lisa

The "I understand you because I'm one of you" strategy is ridiculous. Who cares if she understands me, I want to know what your going to be capable of doing? If all Sarah has is "I'm one of you" then we should all be on the ticket.....isn't their any qualifications we expect our VP nominees to have?
    By the way, Sarah P. is NOT just like me......I'm an intelligent indendent women/mother that demands to be judged and evaluated on my abilities and skills!!!

October 2, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  7. J.C.

I wish we could have more debates for both sets of candidates.

October 2, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  8. Waukone

I want people who are smart not someone I want to have a beer with or go hunting. All the people I know who I'd have a beer with aren't qualified to be VP and all the hunters I know wouldn't shoot from a plane.

My expectations are high as all of our expectations should be.

October 2, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  9. Kami in Arizona

Plain and simple the bar needs to be high for both of them!!! If you are runnign for VP you shoudl be able to answer the hard questiosn and be ready for anything. I am a woman and I am sick and tired of hearign people cryng that the media is beign to hard on Palin, that we shodul treat her with kid gloves. She is running for VP for goodness sakes. To lower the bar for her is ridiculous!!

We need to pay attention to what these people say and make sure it goes well over the bar!!!!!!

Obama/Biden 08

October 2, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  10. mike

well I think Mcain isn't helping her out much on setting the bar low sence he already gave my state (Michigan) to Obama. he just threw in the towel and the election is about a month away MI. is a major swing state but we have a Dem. Gov. and one if not the highest unemployment rate in the country so for him to give up i think it was also a big blow to Palin as well what other state (s) is he going to give up next.. he has to win Oh. Penn. and FL. not likely....

October 2, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  11. Joyce

This whole Sara Palin dump occurred because John McCain wanted to become president so bad that he chose someone that he thought would fit the ticket to get the vote for him to become president. His focus was not on the benifit of the american people only his rise to the position of president.

October 2, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  12. Dean

If she does do well how much of it is a function of the debate format and intensive coaching? I don't think she is ready and cannot be convinced otherwise.

October 2, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  13. Joe

I'm a Republican. I'll vote for OBAMA. Palin is not qualified to take Precidency Office... She was patheic... clueless. And tell those people to stop comparing Dan Quale's situation because George Bush was not 72 years old and he did not have cancer 3-4 time when he ran?
    Anything could happen to the Precident and at any time. Between PALIN and Biden, who do we want to take over the Oval Office. JOE BIDEN, of course – no brainer. THE RISK that no one should take as an American. Many Republican feel this way, but they don't want to say it... NOW I SAY IT. Goes OBAMA/BIDEN!!!!

October 2, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  14. Crystal

Roland,

Honestly, I know you must be reading these things quickly during the breaks, but believe me, I DON'T think anone should take it easy on Palin OR for that matter Biden.

I'm a lifetime Republican who, for the 1st time in my life, will be voting for a Democrat but unless something happens soon to change our Nations direction, the America I love will be in terrible danger.

October 2, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  15. Mrs. Texas Teacher

Thank you, Roland.... I think you are one of the more fair and unbiased commentators within the best news team on television! Loved the debate... now let's see what is what with these two VP nominees. No matter how they do, I'm voting for Obama! He is THE only man for the job. McSame is just that.... THE SAME! I don't care if he is RED, GREEN, or PURPLE! The man is Smart. That is what this country needs!

October 2, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  16. mitch

i wonder what pailin's views on how we should deal with the russians? they are projecting influence in our hemisphere, i believe, because of our support of georgia . personally, i think we need obama/biden ,so they can begin a new relationship with russia, that will be in the interests of all.

October 2, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  17. mike

if joe biden let up on gov.palin he will be a the losser in my book if she cant take it and america dont want to see here take it just because she's a women,we as a country deserve for bush to be the president untill he dies....

October 2, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  18. Erica from GA

Roland

I just want to brag to my co workers that I blogged with you.

Also, Ithink this woman should be treated like a Vice Presidential candidate. She is not frail and weak. If she can't hang with the boys, she should go home. She shouldn't have an edge because she wears lipstick.

October 2, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  19. penny lane

Why does everyone keep saying Joe Biden has to be careful and walk on eggshells so as not to appear as though he is attacking Palin! When Palin can't think of anything to answer, she goes into her "barbie" persona. I think that's why men think she is up to the job. I always thought a person had to have a law or poli sci degree to be in higher gov't. offices. Guess I was wrong!!!

October 2, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  20. Diane, Wyoming

For so many years, women have wanted to have things both ways. If they are running for political office, all of the sudden the media are bullies and sexist because they start asking "tough" questions. I am 55 years old and have never been nor will I ever be molly coddled by my husband or anyone else for that matter.

We have a saying out here. COWBOY Up your in the rodeo.

October 2, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  21. Kimberley

Just let her speek and quite speculating what is going to happen tonight. She could not have become gov of Alaska by not knowing the government ! We have only known her for 30day's this is her night to show everyone who she is.

I am voting for OBAMA !!!

October 2, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  22. Obama in PA

Here we go!

October 2, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  23. SwingVote2008

I love this. I have never been so amazed of how far White privilege in this country can take you. There is no way that anyone of any minority could get this far with Sarah Palin's background. I am almost afraid of mediocre standards that our America has excepted.

October 2, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  24. tickerroland

JB,

No need for an advanced degree.

The constitution doesn't require it. why should I?

October 2, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  25. Paul P.

I hope this debate does not go negative. We need real answers to our nations problems.

October 2, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |