October 5th, 2008

A dead heat in Colorado

Sen. McCain held a town hall in Denver earlier this week.

Sen. McCain held a town hall in Denver earlier this week.

(CNN) - Call it the Rocky Mountain battle for the White House.

A new CNN Poll of Polls in Colorado suggests the battle for the state's 9 electoral votes is a dead heat. In the survey, compiled Sunday, 47 percent of likely voters in Colorado back Barack Obama for president, with 46 percent supporting John McCain. Seven percent of those questioned are undecided.

The CNN Poll of Polls is a compilation of the latest surveys in the state. The polls in this latest average are a Mason-Dixon survey conducted September 29-October 1, a CNN/Time/Opinion Research Corporation poll taken September 21-23, and an American Research Group survey conducted September 23-25.

Both campaigns are spending a lot of time and money campaigning in Colorado. McCain made a swing through the state on Thursday and Friday. Obama last campaigned in Colorado on September 29. The Democrats also held their party's national convention there in late August.

Colorado, New Mexico, and Nevada are three mountain west states that voted for George W. Bush in 2004 that the Democrats are hoping to turn from red to blue come Election Day.

1. Megan

I am from Colorado and if we go blue....I'm moving to Alaska

October 5, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  2. David Goldman for OBAMA

DEAD / HEAT IS ALSO A EXCELLENT DESCRIPTION

OF THE TWO CANDIDATES' MENTAL CAPACITIES.

October 5, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  3. Orlando

A calf that strays from the herd is called a maverick. An individual is called a maverick when he or she is not a team player, walks his own paths and distances himself from his own group, team, party or his colleagues as he sees fit.

How is it then that Governor Palin talks about bringing a "team of mavericks to Washington" which of itself, is a contradiction in terms?

Yet, I'm really not surprised.

October 5, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  4. Olaus

I live in Colorado, and this state is going for Obama. McCain and Palin are ridiculous politicians scraping for anything they can use to boost their sagging campaign. Luckily, no amount of winks and ugly lies are going to fool Americans this time. We're smarter now, and we know that sending an average person to the White House is a recipe for disaster.

October 5, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  5. jt

Questions: what are McCain's issues? I really do not think he has any issue, now he's down and he wanted to start a dirty ad just to win...Amen

October 5, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  6. Sore Liberal LOSERS in 2008

Just like I thought – the country is collectively starting to say, "wait just a gosh durn minute" about Obama. He is nothing but a speech, as evidenced by his inability to not say ummm, uhhhh, errrr, five hundred times at his previous campaign rallies with no Obama-prompter support. The guy is the MOST LIBERAL SENATOR SINCE GEORGE MCGOVERN, failed to vote for bills which would limit infanticide, failed to take a position at least 94 times by voting "PRESENT" in the Senate. What is this guy, a low lying S.O.B. who plays everything political, avoiding responsibility by not voting YEA or NAY? Seriously you liberals – think for a minute. I know it's hard because you all love to "feel" everything, but the FACTS are, Obama is VERY RISKY, unprepared to lead, has never taken on his own party, never had any executive experience, and has had SHADY TIES TO DUBIOUS PEOPLE. You liberals KNOW if McCain had EVEN KNOWN, EVEN REMOTELY, somebody IN ANY PART OF HIS PAST, who was an UNREPENTENT TERRORIST, that he NEVER would have made it this far. You all are sad bunch of losers who will compromise every thing noble, fair, and proper about the presidential election process in order to get your "guy" elected. Obama is shameful, and it's a shame he has even gotten this far. You liberals should feel really badly about yourselves.

October 5, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  7. RICH

TWO THIRDS OF AMERICA IS CONSERVATIVE,EXCEPT FOR THE WEST AND EAST COAST.
    ANYWAY FOR OBAMA AGENDA TO GET THROUGH CONGRESS.SENATE REPUBLICANS WOULD HAVE TO LOSE 9 SEATS. IT AINT GONNA HAPPEN.

GRIDLOCK ONCE AGAIN,BUT THIS TIME IT WILL HELP THE COUNTRY IF THIS GUY GETS IN

October 5, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  8. Debby

I counted what 2 comments for McCain and the rest for Obama. I see the moderators starting Friday must be run by the Obuma campaign.

October 5, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  9. The Nightingale Sings in Berkley Square

You know and I know that it is Obama's people who are forfeiting and not paying their mortgages. You and you and you are paying yours but a ton of his supporters are not and we will end up paying for them

I am upset that they used minority set asides as a way to get a bunch of deadbeats in houses they couldn't afford and now look at the mess we are in.

McCain will protect our country and our values. PUMA

October 5, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  10. NancyTX

Colorado voters must stand and unite and turn this state BLUE! It would be a great catastrophe for the republicans to win this election. Being a republican myself, this time around, I am voting BLUE. In no way shape or form do I feel comfortable having Sarah Palin as the VP of this country. After this debate and those folksy words she was using, i"m sorry people but I don't feel comfortable having someone like her in office. Also, this woman is NOT QUALIFIED to be a vice president! Why can't people see that. It's become sickening to see the presidential election turn into some kind of talent show. "well lets see how well she debates this time" People, she absolutely failed in the Katie Couric interview, and when put under pressure a potential VP needs to have some answers! It will be a great catastrophe to this country if this woman gets the VP slot and if John McCain become President. Let's vote BLUE this time people.

October 5, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  11. Amelia

McCain will NOT win in Colorado with his slimy tactics. Sarah Palin is a turn off to real conservatives. Real conservatives and Christians do not attack other people and spread lies about people. Nor do they act above the law or break the commandments. Everyone knows about her and McCain. They pretend to be conservatives but they aren't. He just supported the largest socialist bill in history! They are finished in Colorado and the US. Obama is a true Christian gentleman. Note he has not stooped to the low personal attacks because they are immoral.

October 5, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  12. April

Okay, I have been very busy and out of the radar these few weeks. What is going on? Obamabots I see are still spooling their tricks and verbal nonsense. Let’s put this into perspective. I heard Obamabots were all over Palin with Katie Couric's interview. What is wrong with these people? Palin, a second place candidate has more experience than Obama "the clown", the selected Democratic candidate by the DNC and Super delegates. Palin was a mayor of Alaska and a governor of Alaska but "the clown" was just an organizer. Anyone with an I.Q. of a pea brain can do that. I know, I know, he graduated from Ivy League school so are millions of us. He was against Washington establishment and now his second pick is a Washington insider. Don't you people get it? McCain is telling you exactly the way things are and Obama "the clown" is telling exactly "what you want to hear". Anything to get Obama into the White House. I thought we were such a smart country. You mean to tell me that Obama "CAN REALLY THROW WOOL OVER YOUR EYES?" PLEASE TELL US IT IS NOT SO. YOU CANNOT SEE THROUGH THIS PERSON? IF SO, THEN ANYONE CAN SALE YOU A SWAMP IN FLORIDA AND TELL YOU IS A FARM LAND OR THE LAND IS FULL WITH OIL. I RATHER HAVE SOMEONE TELL ME "THE TRUTH" THAN LIES AFTER LIES. EXAMPLE, OBAMA SAID PALIN HAD MORE EARMARKS FROM WASHINGTON THAN HE DOES, BUT COME TO REALIZE OBAMA HAS MORE THAN 93 MILLION IN EARMARKS IN HIS SHORT TERM AS A SENATOR THAN ANYONE ELSE. DID HE VOLUNTEER TO TELL US THIS? OF COURSE NOT. HE IS CROSSING HIS FINGERS AND HIS TOES AND ANYTHING ELSE THAT NEEDS TO BE CROSSED FOR YOU AND ME TO BE BLIND ENOUGH AND DEAF ENOUGH, AND IGNORANT ENOUGH NOT TO EVEN THINK HE CAN BE DECEITFULL.
    MCCAIN LOVE THIS COUNTRY AND WAS WILLING TO DIE FOR THIS COUNTRY AND IN ANYONE'S BOOK THAT QUALIFIES HIM TO LEAD THIS COUNTRY. HE HAS ALL THE EXPERIENCE THIS OFFICE REQUIRES, HE CAN WORK ACROSS FROM BOTH ISLES AND HE IS "THE MAVERICK". YES, I SAID IT, YES, I DID.
    OBAMA HAS NO QUALIFICATIONS TO BE OUR COMMANDER IN CHIEF, A MUSLIM WHO WAS MENTORED BY A FOUL MOUTHED RADICAL PREACHER. TOO RISKY FOR THIS COUNTRY. WE LOVE OUR COUNTRY TOO MUCH. NO EXPERIENCE, NO EXPERIENCE, AND NO EXPERIENCE EQUAL NO PRESIDENCY. NO OBAMA "THE CLOWN".
    MCCAIN/PALIN 2008 AND HILLARY 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 5, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  13. bigbubba

It is about the economy, stupid

I am not sure that it will take any effort to get attention on the economy.

I worked for Boeing on the US Tanker. McCain wrote the defense department, used his infuence and had the rules changed on the tanker bids. Then the defense department did not tell Boeing about the rule changes. This was why the winning bid was disallowed. The bid as awarded gave 54,000 American jobs to France. Mine was one of them. I am a 62 year old handicapped worker. My unemployment runs out at the time of the election.

I am going to lose my home and have to move into a trailer on a friends property. My step-daughter and her 2 year old son are currently living in my basement. When i have to get out of my house they are going to be on the streets.

My wife is a brittle diabetic (Two types of insulin every day) who can't get much in the way of health care. Thanks to being unemployed, I have no health care. I am not quite handicapped enough to qualify for disability Social Security. So I am going to have to take early social security, just to pay for the meds we need to stave off death a while.

I don't think John McCain's plans do anything for me but measure me for a pine box. And I don't think it will take much to get me to focus on the economy.

October 5, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  14. Don

I have seen alot more support for the Obama/Biden ticket from the people I have talked to here in Colorado. Especially the younger generation. I hope they will get out and vote as they could be the difference in this election. They are tired of the same old politic's from the Republicans. All McCain they can offer are more personal attack ads. Why don't they focus on what their stand is on the issues?

The swift boat attacks will continue since they have nothing to offer this great nation other than the same policys of a failed Bush administration. This country can't afford another 4 years of moron leadership.

Lets get back to the America I fought for 40 years ago.

Veteran for Obama

October 5, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  15. Obama 08

Common Colorado, JUST DO IT ….vote for Obama/Biden.

Florida, Ohio, North Carolina and all other states, let's do it right this year 2008. Let no adds or messages be a show stopper or to sway your vote. We are one nation and we can do it…. LET's go…BLUE ALL THE WAY, ALL 50 STATES!!!!!!!

October 5, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  16. McAncient

Will all the students who graduate from the University of Illinois after having taken a course under William Ayers' tutelage be placed on the terror watch list ????
    Stupid Republi-Cons

Obama/Biden 08

October 5, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  17. Palin is a dictator

No one can ask her a question in public, not even her own donors. What's she hiding?

October 5, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  18. simon david

Not only is McCain erratic, but also anyone who votes for him has to be either mentally unstable or very spiteful and unpatriotic. He don't need our votes, however he literally needs our supporting hands to help bolster him in his geriatric final walks in life. Afterall, we still need to show our gratitude for his military service.

October 5, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  19. Let's Turn It Blue

Colorado turn it blue. I was there for the convention. You have a beautiful state.
    Sen. McCain want to do away with your water agreements and wasn't there something about Yucca Mountain?

October 5, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  20. George

Some more garbage from the so called Right who are dead wrong

October 5, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  21. Griff

This Guy! John (The Man) McCain will win in November... Because you can't afford him not to win.... That was the reason of my statment months ago!!! (I'm Psychic)... Not really.. But niether am I stupid...
    America will have to decide for themselves....

October 5, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  22. Jann in Denver

We have been working overtime to register new voters in Colorado even up to one hour ago, and everyone I speak to is fired up over Obama. I will be very surprised if Colorado does not turn from Red to Blue in November!

Colorado for Obama/Biden 08!

October 5, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  23. George

Macain is a living liar who will go down

October 5, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  24. K2 in CO

I live outside Denver and I only see McCain signs. I guess we are just clinging to our guns and religion, or we maybe we already have "hope". The liberals in Boulder and inner city Denver tend to forget the rest of the state exists.

It is not surprising that inner city Denver likes Obama after he gave all the homeless a one-way bus ticket out of town during the Democratic convention.

October 5, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  25. JayHawkDad

It has come to the point in this election season that McCain has realized that he cannot win on the issues. He has defected from Michigan, with Pennsylvania to follow soon. His strongholds in North Carolina, Indian, and Virginia are in question. And now, in Colorado, the scales will continue to tip in Obama's favor as American's realize that Obama does preach a message of change and does have the leadership capabilities to bring this change into reality.
    In a depserate act now to salvage what he can, McCain is now shifting to immoral and dirty politics to try to disscredit Obama's character and morality. Again, this is a desperate man, using Sarah Palin and Tucker Bounds as his pitbulls. Just remeber, if elected, this is the kind of morality he will bring to the whitehouse along with the dirty politics.
    But the american people are not that stupid, I can't wait to see the polls continue to soar in Obama's favor as this putrid plan backfires in his face.
    To all those that long for this change and to see the polls soar in Obama's favor.....SPEAK OUT. Saturate the blogs with support of Obama and watch McCain and his immoral, mudslinging cohorts take cover whne the American people rise to the occasion.

October 5, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |