October 5th, 2008

A dead heat in Colorado

Sen. McCain held a town hall in Denver earlier this week.

Sen. McCain held a town hall in Denver earlier this week.

(CNN) - Call it the Rocky Mountain battle for the White House.

A new CNN Poll of Polls in Colorado suggests the battle for the state's 9 electoral votes is a dead heat. In the survey, compiled Sunday, 47 percent of likely voters in Colorado back Barack Obama for president, with 46 percent supporting John McCain. Seven percent of those questioned are undecided.

The CNN Poll of Polls is a compilation of the latest surveys in the state. The polls in this latest average are a Mason-Dixon survey conducted September 29-October 1, a CNN/Time/Opinion Research Corporation poll taken September 21-23, and an American Research Group survey conducted September 23-25.

Both campaigns are spending a lot of time and money campaigning in Colorado. McCain made a swing through the state on Thursday and Friday. Obama last campaigned in Colorado on September 29. The Democrats also held their party's national convention there in late August.

Colorado, New Mexico, and Nevada are three mountain west states that voted for George W. Bush in 2004 that the Democrats are hoping to turn from red to blue come Election Day.

1. Chris

Our son lives in Colorado and has always been a staunch republican, but he informed me the other day that he will not be voting republican this year!!! Yeah He says Palin is too scarey for one thing.

October 5, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  2. Phil

Palin principles are in question. What type of Cristian would lie cheat and steal to win.

Mavericks or card cheats?

October 5, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  3. Virginia

In response to AWARE. You claim we are in an economic mess because of strategies like Obama's. Are you kidding me? Seriously, where have you been the past 8 years? Are you that incompetent to understand that it is JOHN MCCAIN's party who is largely repsonsible for this meltdown? He has supported the policies that led to this, and guess what, his plan to fix the economy is to continue the same policies. Have you not watched a single interview or even listened to him speak? I have seen him speak twice and have yet to hear one iota of a plan on the economy other than "Barack Obama will raise your taxes." I have yet to hear one iota about a plan for Iraq other than "The surge worked." THE SURGE WORKED IS NOT A PLAN. Get serious AWARE. Do your homework first before writing something so rediculous.

October 5, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  4. Don

Wow...this sounds like an election in Zimbabwe. I almost always thought US elections are issue based, now I know better. Most third world dictators watching this election will be learning alot, and I'm sure there are still more to learn about the so called American democracy. One can argue, if China or Burma were to control the international media, their style of "democracy" will be the model.

October 5, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  5. Owanemi Iyalla

It seems to me a lot that quite a few states which have been red in the past are now going blue and the states where McCain thought he had hope are now obviously blue (e.g. Michigan). I therefore would hope the Obama campaign can maintain this recent trend through to the elections in November. The McCain camp has been making a lot of mis-steps in recent weeks, most recently by calling Obama a terrorist (that was a very bad move on Palin's part) and I can only hope they continue to do so in the coming weeks.

Obama/Biden 2008/2012

October 5, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  6. BKoi

Sarah Palin told the truth once, during the debate when she said "the American people will never again be taken advantage of "", she's right! The American people are going to escort her back to Alaska, and escort John MCCain and the rest of the "BAD GUYS" in the republican party the hell out of office!!

October 5, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  7. Hall for Obama

Tell me it not so Denny, I am going to vote for Obama any way.

October 5, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  8. MBFLA

You betcha Colorado will go blue and doggone it we hope Florida will also!

October 5, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  9. moth

I have never been so disturbed by the political scene as I am this year.. Nothing is more important than people waking up and seeing what is at stake if they don't get hold of things.. We need to focus on how to change our oil situation so we stop financing the Islamic revolution and need to stop our connections to Islamic policies that seem to be sneaking up on us.. and we need to remember it is ok in Islam to tell lies if it sinks the big satan and lets Islam take over.. Remember, it is ok to lie if it gets them where they want to go..

If you love your country.. Vote Mc Cain!!!!!

October 5, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  10. Barney

Thank you Sarah !!!

After 45 years of having to listen to a republican mother-in-law, she called last night and said she's not going to listen to any more lies from her party. Just in time, too. She's switching to DEM tomorrow – the last day to "register" (although she's only officially switching parties)!!

Thank you Sarah!!!!

October 5, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  11. tim

blame bush all you want, but the democrats control congress and the fanny mae and freddy mac mess – frank, schumer, dodd. If you get Obama in it'll just be more of the same, but in this case the democrats will control everything and nothing will change. Having pelosi and frank oversee the investigation into these institutions is like the preverbial fox guarding the henhouse.

however on the bright side: my taxes will go down, I'll get free health care, my kids free college, my mortgage will disappear because it'll be bailed out, and life will be good.

October 5, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  12. Kiki

...and I wish someone would mention this but in some polls, Texas is down to a single digit separation between the two...SINGLE DIGIT!!

Oh, how sweet it would be to see the state of Texas turn blue...

...typing from Austin...of course...

October 5, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  13. Kim

I'm not from Manhattan, I'm from a southern red state, and as a red-state voter who has voted for Bush twice, I'm not about to make the same mistake again. I am a registered Republican who is voting for Obama – precisely because we need not just "a change", we need "to change." We need to be the good guys once again, and I don't think we can do that with McCain's third Bush term.

October 5, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  14. KG

We need to be the nation at the environmental conferences who isn't joking lightheartedly about our selfish overconsumption of the world's resources; we need to be adamantly opposed to torture. We need to be the country we set out to be. I don't think we'll be that country with John McCain at the helm. We need to restore hope, and again, I don't think John McCain is the candidate for that job – Barack Obama is.

October 5, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  15. Micheal

I am registered Republican and I am voting for Obama. I hope someday we live in a country where people don't see color. After all Obama is a mixed race, he is not black.

Go Barack Obama '08!

October 5, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  16. Tracey

I don't understand why people are actually considering another republican for president? How many times does the rug have to be pulled inorder for some people to get it? Like Bill Maher said, we Americans are STUPID!!!!! People who are going to vote for this ticket, are not the "sharpest pencils in the stack" because there is absolutely no way on this god given earth, he should be in anyone's mind for President. Not to mention his running mate. I find her entire demeanor, especially her folksy talk to be inappropriate for this high level job! It's like she is in high school or even elementary job. VP don't use that kind of language when they speak. What is a "joesixpack". This kind of talk is so inappropriate!!!!!!

October 5, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  17. Diane

Obama will win Colorado....but if the people choose McCain–God only help you people. WHO WANTS AN ERRATIC OLD CODGER RUNNING THE WHITE HOUSE/ HE PROBABLY WEARS DIAPERS RIGHT NOW.

October 5, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  18. Rob

McCain = old man–old ideas–old Bush copy . A vote for McCain you can sell those ranch's . This old man is no maverick – bet he can't even remember how to spell it .

October 5, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  19. Northern Exposure

Keep on keepin' on Obama.

October 5, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  20. kenbridge

The last poll I saw of Colorado voters showed Obama ahead in Colorado by double digits. Where does CNN's info come from?

October 5, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  21. Joe in Denver

I've been supporting McCain since the primaries, but I just can't do it anymore. I never supported the 700-billion-dollar bailout (I still don't), but at least Barack Obama sounds like he knows how he'll pay for it. McCain doesn't have any solid ideas at all.

This is one Colorado Republican who will definitely be voting for Obama this year.

October 5, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  22. Carol

Come on guys, we dont deserve 4 more years(and maybe 8) of the same Bush admnistration!

Obama/Biden 08

October 5, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  23. republican-Obama

This is, however, not a call for complacency. Remember that voting-machine fraud will be rampant, and voter intimidation and misdirection can be expected.

October 5, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  24. Walley2

I live in Denver and in my Building 31 households out of 32 are for Obama, actually my whole neighborhood is for Obama, all you see are Obama signs and bumper stickers, no one here cares for McCain at all

October 5, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  25. Ruby

Colorado, Nevada, Florida, Ohio. I would love to see those 4 states colored blue come 11pm on Nov. 4. Oh and Florida too. YES WE CAN!!!

SMART GUY/EXPERIENCED GUY '08!!

October 5, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |