October 5th, 2008

Biden's mother-in-law dies

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/05/art.bidenslean1005.gi.jpg caption="Jill Biden's mother died Sunday. Sen. Biden has canceled his campaign events planned for Monday and Tuesday."]
WILMINGTON, Delaware (CNN) - Joe Biden's spokesman said the Delaware senator would be canceling campaign events Monday and Tuesday in the wake of his mother-in-law's death Sunday.

"Other details will follow, but we appreciate everyone's respect for the family's privacy during this difficult time," wrote Biden spokesman David Wade.

Bonny Jacobs, Jill Biden's mother, had been sick for a long time and was living in a hospice.

Wade announced Saturday that Sunday and Monday's events were canceled after doctors told the family to stay close by. He said the family is now together at home in Wilmington.

The death comes the same day Biden's son Beau deploys with his National Guard unit to a mobilization station in Texas before a tour in Iraq.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Popular Posts
  1. Mikey in San Antonio

Our prayers are with you Mrs. Biden and family.

October 5, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  2. Mike

Peace to the family

October 5, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  3. andrea from foxboro, MA

dear joe,

sorry for your loss. you , jill and family will be sad forever but remeber the fun you had with bonny while she was here !!!!!!!!!!!

sincerely;

andrea

October 5, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  4. zuq

Joe, are prayers with you, Jill and the family.

October 5, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  5. Victor

May her gentle soul rest in peace! Her dreams of reclaiming our fading glory and respect around the world would come true in 30 days when we go out to elect Obama/Biden!!!

October 5, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  6. Rosie

My sincere sympathy to Senator and Mrs. Biden and your family in the death of your beloved mother. My prayers are with you all.

October 5, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  7. Derek

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, Joe. May God bless and keep you all.

October 5, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  8. Robert - Florida

Joe: I'm sure your mother-in-law was a wonderful person. Our families thoughts and prayers are with you.

October 5, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  9. No Gas In Alabama

God Bless the Biden family with love, peace, mercy and grace during these heart felt moments.

October 5, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  10. Hoosier in Utah

May God be with Jill and Joe Biden during this time of loss. My family and I send out to the Jill Biden's family our sincere condolences.

Obama/Biden '08

October 5, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  11. Penny

Our prayers are with Joe and Jill Biden and their family at this difficult time in their lives. I lost my mother 4 months ago, so I know what they are going through. God Bless you all

October 5, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  12. Sgt C USMC

The nation's thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time Senator Biden.

October 5, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  13. Mo

This, my friends, is a REAL reason to suspend a campaign. Rest in peace.

Obama/Biden 08

October 5, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  14. cheryl

my pray go out to the Biden family

October 5, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  15. aohs

Our hearts are with you, Senator.

October 5, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  16. Simon rono

Receive my message of condolescence to all relatives and family members. May God be with you all during such moments so that you may be strong and give you power to withstand such trying moments

October 5, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  17. Julie

Our thoughts and prayers are with Senator Biden, Jill, and their families.

October 5, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  18. Democrat from Arizona

To the Biden family – I am so sorry for your loss. May God be with you in this difficult time.

October 5, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  19. Sara M

My thoughts and prayers are with the Biden family as they mourn the loss of their mother/grandmother and for the protection of his son and all other sons (and daughters!) overseas.

October 5, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  20. Margaret

My condolences to Joe and Jill Biden for the death of Jill's mother. I hope this sad event will not affect Joe Biden's campaign. May she rest in peace.

October 5, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  21. Gwen

Our thoughts are with you and your family in this difficult time, Joe and Jill.

October 5, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  22. Susan

My sympathy to your wife. I lost my Mom and it hurts so deeply.

October 5, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  23. Mary

Thoughts and prayers with the family

October 5, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  24. Jeff in the Redwoods, Arcata, CA

Senator Biden, our thoughts are with you and your family in this trying time. May your goodness and graciousness give you and your family the strength it needs and deserves as you celebrate the life of your Mother-in-law. And, as we honor your Son's service to this country , may he and all soldiers return as hail and hearty souls. Again, our thoughts are with you and your family..... hope to see you soon out on the campaign trail as we try to right and steady the ship called America.

October 5, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  25. Cheryl from Minnesota

My thoughts and prayers are with you Jill and Joe Biden.

October 5, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |