October 5th, 2008

Biden's mother-in-law dies

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/05/art.bidenslean1005.gi.jpg caption="Jill Biden's mother died Sunday. Sen. Biden has canceled his campaign events planned for Monday and Tuesday."]
WILMINGTON, Delaware (CNN) - Joe Biden's spokesman said the Delaware senator would be canceling campaign events Monday and Tuesday in the wake of his mother-in-law's death Sunday.

"Other details will follow, but we appreciate everyone's respect for the family's privacy during this difficult time," wrote Biden spokesman David Wade.

Bonny Jacobs, Jill Biden's mother, had been sick for a long time and was living in a hospice.

Wade announced Saturday that Sunday and Monday's events were canceled after doctors told the family to stay close by. He said the family is now together at home in Wilmington.

The death comes the same day Biden's son Beau deploys with his National Guard unit to a mobilization station in Texas before a tour in Iraq.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Popular Posts
  1. Justin Caldwell

God bless you Joe and Mrs Biden. Many obstacles in life, i am proud to see that you don't allow them to weaken you. come inauguration day, your mother-in-law will be celebrating your victory along with my black ancestors. Thank you again. your strength is inspiring.

October 5, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  2. Dave Kliman

My condolences, Senator!

October 5, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  3. sjp

condolences to the biden family, it will be interesting to see if the repubs call a truce for the week or if its business as usual.

October 5, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  4. Kevin in Rockford IL

We are all praying for Bonny Jacobs, her family as well as the Biden family. GOD be with them during this time.

October 5, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  5. T Bunch Upper Darby PA

My prayers are with you , Joe and Jill Biden. May God comfort you and your family during this time of loss. GOD Bless.

October 5, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  6. flashdance

am so sorry for the biden family I have been through losing a mother thro hospice care and can relate to what the family is going thru. Sending my most sincerest condolances to the biden family.

October 5, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  7. Audrey

Joe; may God shine his blessing on your family during this very difficult time. Life is so short, spend the next few days with your family and remember what is really important.

You and your family are good people.

October 5, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  8. BrianLindsey

I'm sorry very very sorry! My prayers are with you.

October 5, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  9. Bit

We're praying for the Biden family.

October 5, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  10. Sam S, Silver Spring, MD

A strong and wise decision of the part of Senator Biden...doing otherwise you have appeared in the desperate GOP smear ads about putting personal interest ahead of family matters. Have my sympathy Senator & Mrs. Biden.

October 5, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  11. Tony

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Jacobs/Biden family

October 5, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  12. Sarah Boothe

Our prayers go out to the Bidens.

October 5, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  13. sorry!

Our deepest simpathy to the Jacobs and Biden family.

October 5, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  14. Joel Evans

My thoughts and prayers are with the entire Biden family. I have a deep admiration and respect for Senator Biden, as he is the epitome of what a public servant and a man (in general) should be- dedicated, patriotic, family-oriented, loving husband and father, thoughtful human being with an open mind and sharp intelligence, and an ethical politician who has never forgotten where he came from. A combination of all of these qualities is a hard thing to find in most politicians. God bless the entire family!

October 5, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  15. Deborah Lawrence

Our condolences to the Bidens. They are a strong family and we wish them well.

October 5, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  16. Shirley from Atlanta

Senator McCain needs to talk about the issues instead of who Senator
    Obama knows. The Senator from Arizona needs to remember his
    own transgressions mainly The Keating Five.

I really admire Senator Obama for not going down that path.

October 5, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  17. Santa

May God comfort your family during this time of grief.

October 5, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  18. CindyN--PA

Our thoughts and prayers are with you Senator Biden.
    God Bless you son heading off to Iraq today as well.

October 5, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  19. Chris from NY

I am so srorry for your loss Joe and Jill. I hope that God will comfort you and your family at this critical time. I hope you will find comfort in the love you shared. God be with you.

October 5, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  20. Sara Guernsey

Dear Jill and Joe,
    I know this is heartbreaking for you right now. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this time. I know most of the country mourns with you.

October 5, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  21. Pete, St. Augustine, FL

God Bless you and your family, Joe.

October 5, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  22. SH

So sorry for your loss.

October 5, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  23. Sara

Dear Jill and Joe,

October 5, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  24. T Bunch Upper Darby PA

My prayers are with you, Joe and Jill Biden. May God bless and comfort you and your family during this time of loss.

October 5, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  25. Monique Nguyen

Our thoughts and prayers are with you Mr VP Biden. May God bless you and your family. Please take care of yourself Mrs Biden, as your mother is now in heaven and under the care of God. We love you.

October 5, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |