October 5th, 2008

Biden's mother-in-law dies

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/05/art.bidenslean1005.gi.jpg caption="Jill Biden's mother died Sunday. Sen. Biden has canceled his campaign events planned for Monday and Tuesday."]
WILMINGTON, Delaware (CNN) - Joe Biden's spokesman said the Delaware senator would be canceling campaign events Monday and Tuesday in the wake of his mother-in-law's death Sunday.

"Other details will follow, but we appreciate everyone's respect for the family's privacy during this difficult time," wrote Biden spokesman David Wade.

Bonny Jacobs, Jill Biden's mother, had been sick for a long time and was living in a hospice.

Wade announced Saturday that Sunday and Monday's events were canceled after doctors told the family to stay close by. He said the family is now together at home in Wilmington.

The death comes the same day Biden's son Beau deploys with his National Guard unit to a mobilization station in Texas before a tour in Iraq.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Popular Posts
  1. Sarah

Rest in peace. Thoughts, prayers, and condolences to the Biden family.

2. democrat 4 life

I am truly sorry to hear of your lost. I will ask God to guide you and your family and give your the strength and courage to carry on.

3. Kathy

My sympathies for your loss. May God be with you and your family.

4. scmom

May the same God who was with Joe Biden during the loss of his wife and child, Be there for his new wife – Jill.

I recall Beau Biden stating that Joe did not marry Jill-
    We (as a family ) married Jill. May God help Joe to be strong for his wife and son Beau who was recently deployed to Iraq.

May God also help our country through this difficult racial divide we must overcome– in order to survive as a nation, spiritually, physically, and financially.

Thank God for the majority of the "young people" WHO GET IT!!

5. Evelyn

How difficult for Jill!

6. obama biden 08

my deepest sympathy to Biden family

7. Marge

My family extends our sympathy to Joe Biden and his family.

8. JACKED-UP-POLITICS, FLORIDA

To: The Bidens

May God be with you during your family's lose. We love you.

9. Barbara CA

Senator Biden, our condolences to you and your wife and family. I hope McCain/Palin will keep their nasty comments to themselves at this time, but I don't know. (They are really getting ugly but don't you worry about it, you take care of yourself and your family.) God bless you and we love.

10. VIRGNIA RAMSEY

My deepest sympathy to the Biden Family. The Lord is with you in this time of sorrow. Your love one now has wings of a Dove and will watch over you for internity.

11. Ron

My condolences to the family.
    May God be with you in your time of loss.

12. Chitown8

Rest in Peace. My prayers are with your family.

13. larry

stay strong and time will heal it

October 5, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  14. Martin

My wife and I send our deepest prayers to you and your family Sen. Biden. God bless you and your family.

October 5, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  15. nelson

Rest in Peace.

Obama/Biden '08

October 5, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  16. As the 'Paign Turns

>This, my friends, is a REAL reason to suspend a campaign. Rest in peace.

I so agree. Our thoughts are with you and yours Joe.

October 5, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  17. witch

To the Biden family our deepest sympathy for your loss. Rest in Peace......

October 5, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  18. Bill in Illinois

I would like to extend my deepest sympathy to the family. This will be a difficult time for them and it would be nice if everyone kept them in their thoughts and prayers.

October 5, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  19. Carol-Raleigh

Deepest sympathy to Sen and Mrs Biden and their family. God Bless.

October 5, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  20. Uche (Truly Independent)

May God grant you the Fortitude to bear this loss. May his loving arms envellope and uphold your family.

October 5, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  21. Enlightened Voter

Mo- amen!
    Biden family, sorry for your loss and may you be comforted. And may Joe return in enough time to be sworn in as the NEXT VP!

October 5, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  22. Canadians for Obama and Biden

To the Jacobs/Biden Family ~ Deepest Sympathy and may God Bless!

October 5, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  23. Abby

God be with you, Jill and Joe. God is good.

October 5, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  24. Karen

My deepest sympathies for your loss... Mrs. Biden, may your mother be resting peacefully...

October 5, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  25. Marissa

I'm so sorry to hear this! I'll be praying for the Jacobs/Biden family. Take the time you need.

*Leaves website to donate to the Obama campaign*

October 5, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |