October 5th, 2008

Biden's mother-in-law dies

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/05/art.bidenslean1005.gi.jpg caption="Jill Biden's mother died Sunday. Sen. Biden has canceled his campaign events planned for Monday and Tuesday."]
WILMINGTON, Delaware (CNN) - Joe Biden's spokesman said the Delaware senator would be canceling campaign events Monday and Tuesday in the wake of his mother-in-law's death Sunday.

"Other details will follow, but we appreciate everyone's respect for the family's privacy during this difficult time," wrote Biden spokesman David Wade.

Bonny Jacobs, Jill Biden's mother, had been sick for a long time and was living in a hospice.

Wade announced Saturday that Sunday and Monday's events were canceled after doctors told the family to stay close by. He said the family is now together at home in Wilmington.

The death comes the same day Biden's son Beau deploys with his National Guard unit to a mobilization station in Texas before a tour in Iraq.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Popular Posts
  1. Jay

Condolences. RIP, Ms. Jacobs.

October 5, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  2. M in Manhattan

My sincerest condolences to you and your family!

October 5, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  3. ricardo williams

Deepest sympathy to you and your family during this difficult times.

October 5, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  4. Shannon

Joe Biden is a decent man, my thoughts and condolences go out to him and to his wife.

October 5, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  5. mf for obama

Jill, Joe and family, Sorry for your loss, we are praying for your family. Now she is in heaven to watch over Barack and Joe as they fight to protect America.

October 5, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  6. ray canada

Our thoughts in Canada will be with this great man in his time of loss.

October 5, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  7. sdmackey

May God comfort you! We will be here waiting for you when you are ready to get back to business.

October 5, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  8. Joe in MN

Peace be with her.

October 5, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  9. Sarah

I wish you and your family strength and peace in your time of sadnest.

Hope to see you back on the trail but take all the time you need. You and Barack have my vote.

October 5, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  10. Joe Regis

May she rest in peace.

Landslide Obama/Biden 08/12.

October 5, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  11. Marie

My deepest condolences to the Biden and Jacobs families. I wish only the best for all during this sad time. We will keep up your work in your absence!

October 5, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  12. Obama 08

My condolences to you and your wife. I'm sure she was very close to her mother as all mother and daughters should be. You all will be in my prayers.

October 5, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  13. SKY

MAY SHE REST IN PERFECT PEACE WITH THE LORD.

October 5, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  14. Lisa

My deepest sympathy to Senator Biden and his wife and family at this sad time.

October 5, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  15. stephanie

my deepest sympathy to the biden/jacobs family.

October 5, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  16. Carreen

To the Biden and Jacobs families, my deepest sympathies and heartfelt prayers. Caring for an ailing mother myself, I feel for you during this time and wish you healing and peace as you face this difficult time.

October 5, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  17. Dana T

My prayers and thoughts are with the Biden family. May you be comforted by knowing she is at peace. God bless.

October 5, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  18. Dawit

Jill and Joe,
    Truly sorry for your loss.Our thoughts and prayers are with you. May God be with you in this difficult time.

October 5, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  19. George/FL

May Lord give her a peacefull rest and forgive her all her sins. AMEN.
    God be with all Biden family and guide Obama and Biden to white house in January. AMMMMMMMMMEEEEENNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!

October 5, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  20. Shelia R.Smith

To Mrs.Jill Biden May God give you, Mr. Biden, and your entire family peace and strength during and after this time. My family is so sorry for your loss GOD bless all of you
    Shelia Smith

October 5, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  21. Dee

Praying for strength for your family during this difficult time. God Bless.

October 5, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  22. VOTE DEM

My sympathies to your loss.
    Now this is true American family.

Unlike Palin who wants to divide united states
    and Cindy maccain who steals from the medical charity FOR G_DS SAKE CHARITY. I cant imagine how much money she will pocket if She becomes our presidents wife.

OBAMA 08

October 5, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  23. Basudev Bhandary

May god bless her soul. Sorry for the family

October 5, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  24. Sloan

We are very sorry for your loss. Our prayer and thoughts are with you Joe and your dear families. May God bless you all.

October 5, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  25. NV for Obama/Biden

Our deepest sympathy to the Biden/Jacobs family. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

October 5, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |