October 5th, 2008

Biden's mother-in-law dies

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/05/art.bidenslean1005.gi.jpg caption="Jill Biden's mother died Sunday. Sen. Biden has canceled his campaign events planned for Monday and Tuesday."]
WILMINGTON, Delaware (CNN) - Joe Biden's spokesman said the Delaware senator would be canceling campaign events Monday and Tuesday in the wake of his mother-in-law's death Sunday.

"Other details will follow, but we appreciate everyone's respect for the family's privacy during this difficult time," wrote Biden spokesman David Wade.

Bonny Jacobs, Jill Biden's mother, had been sick for a long time and was living in a hospice.

Wade announced Saturday that Sunday and Monday's events were canceled after doctors told the family to stay close by. He said the family is now together at home in Wilmington.

The death comes the same day Biden's son Beau deploys with his National Guard unit to a mobilization station in Texas before a tour in Iraq.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Popular Posts
  1. drew

Sarah Palin's probably going to accuse his poor mother in law of being a terrorist to withdraw sympathy from Biden.

October 5, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  2. dem4u

God bless you and your family during your time of mourning.

October 5, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  3. LifeLongDemocrat

Our sympathy to you and your wife and family. These things are never easy and I'm sure are particularly difficult now. Too bad she couldn't live to see you be the VP of the US! You will, you know.

October 5, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  4. Michael Dominick Glendora, NJ

God Bless the Biden and Jacobs family at this time.

October 5, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  5. Angie-Savannah

My thoughts and prayers are with the Biden family.

October 5, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  6. MK

I am so sorry to hear of the family's loss. I know their faith will carry them thru this difficult time.

October 5, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  7. SAM

May her soul rest in perfect peace.

October 5, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  8. David

My heartful condolence and thoughts to you Biden and your family. I wish you strength during this hard times. My you have the strenght to overcome the challenges ahead, to being able to be there for your family and to continue support for the values that you believe in.

October 5, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  9. Mo, NC

R.I.P. Ms. Jacobs

October 5, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  10. Donald, Canton,NC

Our prayers are with the Biden family during this time of sorrow.

October 5, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  11. Simmy

My condolences to the Biden family. May God bless
    you and keep you strong.

October 5, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  12. Barbara

I send my Deepest sympathy to Joe Biden's family in this time of sorrow. I hope to see him soon back on the trail for vice president, but family does come first at this time.

October 5, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  13. rachel

prayers out to the biden family.

October 5, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  14. jimmy

OUT OF RESPECT FOR SENATOR JOE BIDEN AND HIS FAMILY. THERE WILL BE NO CAMPAIGN COMMENTS AGAINST SENATOR JOE BIDEN UNTIL HE RETURNS TO THE CAMPAIGN TRAIL.

October 5, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  15. Brendan

Some things transcend politics.

Condolences to the Biden family.

October 5, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  16. Emery

My hat's off to you, Joe. May she Rest In Peace. I know she'll be smiling down upon you once you're in the White House with Obama in less than a month from now....Godspeed, Joe Biden. You and Obama have had my vote since the beginning.

October 5, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  17. lyn

Joe our thougths are with you and your family.

October 5, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  18. Cheryl

To the Bidens, thoughts and prayers. You are a portrait of strength, grace and dignity.

October 5, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  19. momis

my prayers and thoughts are with you Joe... You are a good man.. May God bless your family

October 5, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  20. Donna

Our thoughts and prayers are with you Biden family.

October 5, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  21. Dave in NYC

our prayers are with you, Biden family, stay strong because we need you and we are counting on you to get back in the race!

October 5, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  22. Ken

That is so say – our hearts and prayers will be with the family.

October 5, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  23. Harper

God bless Joe and Jill Biden. Jill is a wonderful woman and I'm sure her mother deserves a ton of credit for that.

Take your time coming back Koe. You were a gentleman in the debate and you deserve the time off to support your lovely wife in her time of need.

October 5, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  24. Debater

Joe, our thoughts and prayers are with you and Jill and the family!

October 5, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  25. Pablo from Asuncion

My condolences to Jill and Joe Biden, and their families, shall God give them the strength to overcome this sad moment.

October 5, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |