October 5th, 2008

Biden's mother-in-law dies

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/05/art.bidenslean1005.gi.jpg caption="Jill Biden's mother died Sunday. Sen. Biden has canceled his campaign events planned for Monday and Tuesday."]
WILMINGTON, Delaware (CNN) - Joe Biden's spokesman said the Delaware senator would be canceling campaign events Monday and Tuesday in the wake of his mother-in-law's death Sunday.

"Other details will follow, but we appreciate everyone's respect for the family's privacy during this difficult time," wrote Biden spokesman David Wade.

Bonny Jacobs, Jill Biden's mother, had been sick for a long time and was living in a hospice.

Wade announced Saturday that Sunday and Monday's events were canceled after doctors told the family to stay close by. He said the family is now together at home in Wilmington.

The death comes the same day Biden's son Beau deploys with his National Guard unit to a mobilization station in Texas before a tour in Iraq.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Popular Posts
  1. Martin & Shelli

We are sorry to hear about this loss, sending you our condoleances.
    Especially in hectic times like you all are in now ....it will be extra difficult.

( Polling shows 75 % of The Netherlands show Obama / Biden are wanted to be leaders of the USA)

October 5, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  2. Frankij

God Bless Mrs. Biden and her family. My thoughts and prayers are with them. Senator Biden is an honorable man to put family first. God keep them in peace during this time of grief.

October 5, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  3. katja from Bremen, Germany

Yes, THIS is a real reason to suspend a campaign. Is a rest of empathy and respect too much to ask for, Andrew? My thoughts are with the Biden-Family.

October 5, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  4. bob in LA

As an American with a sense of respect, I apologize to the Biden's and Jacobs for the comment posted by "Andrew"
    This is not a political issue.
    My thoughts are with your family

October 5, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  5. Burhan

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family in this difficult time.

October 5, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  6. Kiki

To Andrew, who posted at 6:08 ET on 10/5:

SHAME ON YOU.

How dare you use this moment for your sad ugliness.

Shame on you.

To the Biden and Jacobs families: Peace be with you.

from a Liberal Texas Woman

October 5, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  7. Angel

Andrew:

You should be ashamed of yourself. It would have been very sad news coming from either side of this race. This is someones family you're disrespecting at a very hard time; you ahould have kept your comment to yourself.

My deepest sympathy and prayers go out to the Biden family.
    God bless.

October 5, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  8. Sue

My families thoughts and prayers are with you. God Bless.

October 5, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  9. eye opener-open your eyes America-PA

My deepest sympathy to Jill, Joe Biden and family.
    My God be your rock, strength, comfort and peace in the time of your need.
    My thougths and prayer are with you all.
    God bless you.

October 5, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  10. Aimal

My deepest sympthy to you and your family Mr. Biden.

October 5, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  11. monilisa01

We pray for your family in this difficult time.

October 5, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  12. bonnie Rose K

I agree with Mo above. Reasons like this are acceptable.
    Joe and family, may all of you find God's everlasting comfort around you in the coming days.. Bonnie Rose in Fargo ND

October 5, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  13. Kat

The thoughts and prayers of a nation are with you and your family, Senator and Mrs. Biden. God bless you.

October 5, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  14. Tiesha J. from Franklin, Louisiana

To the Biden/Jacobs family, you're in my prayers. Andrew, you're an idiot!!

Obama/Biden '08

October 5, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  15. Kiki

To Andrew, who posted at 6:08 pm:

SHAME ON YOU.
    How dare you show your ugliness at this time.
    Shame on you.

To the Biden and Jacobs families: Peace be with you.

From a LIBERAL Texas woman

October 5, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  16. trueblue2

My heartfelt sympathies go out to Jill Biden. It has been over 8 years since my own mother died from cancer and I will always miss her and yearn to see her again. Joe Biden is an honorable man for putting aside the politics to be supportive to his wife in this painful time.

October 5, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  17. Nadine

MODERATOR PLEASE WAKE UP, YOU ARE ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL:

In response to Andrew at 6:08 pm ET wrote: "Ahhh who cares McCain/ Palin 08" I say:

Your reprehensible comment will catch up with you at some point when someone says something bitingly hateful and insensitive to you upon the loss of someone or something you love dearly. Although maybe such will not be the case: your hatefulness truly is not indicative of a person with the capacity to love thy fellow man or Americans. Please do not further desecrate the loving responses and condolences offered here by supporters of other people, be they politicians or otherwise. This thread is about people and caring, not about politics. For shame, for shame, for shame.

God bless you again, Biden Family! God bless you - and may you never, ever, hear or read such words during this time.

CNN MODERATOR - PLEASE REMOVE ANDREW'S OFFENSIVE COMMENT!

October 5, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  18. Yousuf-NYC

I am sorry for your lost, may peace be with mrs Jacobs.

October 5, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  19. Tina - SF

My sincerest condolence to Jill and Joe.

Obama/Biden '08

October 5, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  20. Lily

Our thoughts and prayers with you and your family

October 5, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  21. mk

So sorry for your loss.

October 5, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  22. Shirley-Ohio

My god bless you and your family senator Biden and keep you in his prayers.

October 5, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  23. Gambi

To the Biden Family
    May God Bless your family and may you always have fond and loving memories of your dear mother, mother in law and grandmother.

October 5, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  24. Diana New Jersey

To the Biden Family,

Please except my deepest sympathies. May she rest in peace.
    God be you. I wish you all the best at this time

October 5, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  25. Marlene

My heartfelt sympathies to the Biden family.
    Know that God's love and a mother's love never dies.

Peace to you all. Marlene