October 5th, 2008

Biden's mother-in-law dies

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/05/art.bidenslean1005.gi.jpg caption="Jill Biden's mother died Sunday. Sen. Biden has canceled his campaign events planned for Monday and Tuesday."]
WILMINGTON, Delaware (CNN) - Joe Biden's spokesman said the Delaware senator would be canceling campaign events Monday and Tuesday in the wake of his mother-in-law's death Sunday.

"Other details will follow, but we appreciate everyone's respect for the family's privacy during this difficult time," wrote Biden spokesman David Wade.

Bonny Jacobs, Jill Biden's mother, had been sick for a long time and was living in a hospice.

Wade announced Saturday that Sunday and Monday's events were canceled after doctors told the family to stay close by. He said the family is now together at home in Wilmington.

The death comes the same day Biden's son Beau deploys with his National Guard unit to a mobilization station in Texas before a tour in Iraq.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Popular Posts
  1. Ruby

How sad that Mrs. Jacobs will not get to see her daughter be "second" lady. My sincerest condolences to the Jacobs/Biden family.

October 5, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  2. Crystal From Alabama

Andrew, that was so rude. You are being very disrespectful. Leave it to a republican to say oh cares when someone dies. God Bless you Joe and Jill.

October 5, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  3. Robert

May God bless and comfort Sen. Joe. So glad such a sensitive, real and professional will be joining Sen. Obama as President and Vice President on Nov. 4. Your mother in law will be very proud.

October 5, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  4. Eric

Wow Andrew, you must be a true disgusting republican, it shows.

My deepest sympathy goes out to the Biden family

October 5, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  5. @ andrew

don't be a jerk

my prayers are with you Joe and Jill

October 5, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  6. Pepsi

Joe, Jill, and Family

Our hearts and prayers are with you all at this difficult time. Losing someone you love and care about is never easy. Take the time you need with your family. Time does heal eventually. I hope all will respect them at this time. We will all be waiting for your return.

OBAMA-BIDEN 2008

October 5, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  7. OBAMA THE SMART CHOICE

Said like a true republican Andrew.

October 5, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  8. yokahl

Andrew...(McCain/Palin 08)....you should be ashamed of yourself...its a these times we show sympathy not politics...you are a moron with a capital M...

October 5, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  9. denise

Rest in Peace! May the grace of God be with you!

October 5, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  10. olive

May the family find comfort through the Lord in this difficult time

October 5, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  11. Jan

Jacobs/Biden Family, Peace be with you & yours at this most difficult time in your life. My prayers are with you.

October 5, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  12. Al

Condolences. Senator Biden, proved once before he can overcome personal tragedy. I am certain he can and will overcome and find some measure of peace. I also hope your son, and all our sons and daughters, return safely from serving their country.

This is somewhat eerie though, with the rumors flying about Biden dropping out on or about the 5th of October (Hillary stepping in).

October 5, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  13. Obama/Biden

RIP Ms. Jacobs, and My condolenses are with the Biden family.

NO MCCAIN/PALIN

Obama/Biden for the change we need.

October 5, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  14. Chris

God bless.

October 5, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  15. Jamie

Dear Mr. Biden,

You have my sincerist sympathy to your family at this difficult time and may your days be bright. Your mother in law will be watching over both you and your family including your son thats going back to Iraq.

October 5, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  16. Dan J

Loss of someone close, just like the financial destruction of America, is a good reson to suspend a campaign.

October 5, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  17. TBounds

Our thoughts are with the Biden and Jacobs family at this time!

Why couldn't God take some old Republican instead?

October 5, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  18. Northern Exposure

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. God Bless.

October 5, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  19. willpen

May she rest in Peace.

October 5, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  20. RLS

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Biden family -God Bless you at your time of loss

Andrew-6:08pm commment-we're praying for you as well as your comment was very cruel and should be pulled from this blog-

October 5, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  21. BDT in New York

My prayers are with you and your family,I just lost my Dad in August.

October 5, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  22. Nee

My God be with your family through these difficult times.

October 5, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  23. JWS

I have no real beef with the family of Mr. Biden. I send condolences to his family.

I do however hope she was a Democrat because that means one less vote for that "Socialist Ticket"

October 5, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  24. Ayanna

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Senator Biden. Don't worry, I am sure Palin won't rock the country while you are gone...well, not in a way that is going to do her party any good 🙂

October 5, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  25. ANNE

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

OBAMA/BIDEN 08