October 5th, 2008

Biden's mother-in-law dies

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/05/art.bidenslean1005.gi.jpg caption="Jill Biden's mother died Sunday. Sen. Biden has canceled his campaign events planned for Monday and Tuesday."]
WILMINGTON, Delaware (CNN) - Joe Biden's spokesman said the Delaware senator would be canceling campaign events Monday and Tuesday in the wake of his mother-in-law's death Sunday.

"Other details will follow, but we appreciate everyone's respect for the family's privacy during this difficult time," wrote Biden spokesman David Wade.

Bonny Jacobs, Jill Biden's mother, had been sick for a long time and was living in a hospice.

Wade announced Saturday that Sunday and Monday's events were canceled after doctors told the family to stay close by. He said the family is now together at home in Wilmington.

The death comes the same day Biden's son Beau deploys with his National Guard unit to a mobilization station in Texas before a tour in Iraq.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Popular Posts
  1. This is Crazy

Why is this open to comments, so some ignorant right wing fool (Andrew) can say something ignorant. This does not belong on the ticker.

October 5, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  2. Renza Parker

My deepest simpathies to the Jacobs and Biden family.

October 5, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  3. Tim

It's always sad to lose a parent. May God bless Mrs. Biden and the rest of the family.

October 5, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  4. CMG

God bless all of you at this difficult time....

October 5, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  5. Black and White for Obama

May she rest in peace and give you all the power to bear your losses. God Bless you. Come back soon we need you to attack Mccain with his lies.

Watch parents, your 8 years old may be tie to torrorist. Mccain want to tie or link kids to torrorist even though the kids are in school miles away from where crime was commited or don't know what is torrorist.

That is true by John Mccain standard. pitty that Mccain is very patiotic, by smearing his fello american.

Yeah to be patriotic by Mccain standard u have to smear your own country man or kill their soul. None sense Mccain u are dumb and doom.

October 5, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  6. Michelle Marietta Ga

The Biden family is in our thoughts and prayers. This is very private time for the family, God Bless them all.

October 5, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  7. NC Women for Obama/Biden!

Love and Prayers from My Family to You and Yours!

October 5, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  8. Marina

Sincere condolences from my family to the Jacobs/Biden family.

October 5, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  9. VA Woman for Obama!!!

My deepest and heartfelt sympathies to Joe Biden and his family.

October 5, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  10. Restofworld

Dear America,

Please do the right thing and vote Obama in. 8 years of Bush is enough for us too.

Best regards

The Rest of the World

October 5, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  11. Debbie

Our deepest sympathies to you Senator Biden and your entire family, we are so sorry for your loss. We hold each of you and in our hearts and in our prayers.

October 5, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  12. Dr. J

To the Biden Family – I am sorry for your lost. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

October 5, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  13. Gino

Andrew "who cares?" you are one sick puppy.

October 5, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  14. sallu deen

joe my prayer go to you and your family, may your mither in law rest in peace. i pray that you are alway happywith your family , amen obama biden

October 5, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  15. maria

My deepest sympathies to Jill and to the family. I recently lost my Mom and I know the heartache it brings. God Bless you all.

October 5, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  16. Amy

My sympathies.

McCain/Palin 2008

October 5, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  17. Christina Wenger

Senator and Mrs Biden,

please accept my heartfelt sympathy. My thoughts are with you and your family.

CW
    Arizona

October 5, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  18. Ty of Bay St Louis, MS

To Andrew,

You sir, are an insensitive rightwing punk. Go back to the Free Republic forums where you belong.

My deepest condolences to the Bidens.

October 5, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  19. Crazy Cat Lady

May a multitude of happy memories comfort you in your grief.

October 5, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  20. ML - California

You have many supporters that think you are the best. My condolences are with you and Biden family.

October 5, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  21. Estevezzz

Our deepest condolescence.

October 5, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  22. CANADIAN CLUB

ANDREW, YOU ARE A COMPLETE AND UTTER MORON... THAT ASIDE, I WOULD LIKE TO EXTEND MY DEEPEST SYMPATHIES TO THE BIDEN FAMILY.

October 5, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  23. Cathy Green

My deepest sympathy to the Biden family.

Obama/Biden '08

October 5, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  24. Louise

We respect your privacy at this difficult time. Our thoughts are with you, your wife, and your children. Millions of people are supporting you because you are a decent, good person.

October 5, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  25. matt in boston

Andrew, you are a coward and a shining example of everything everyone hates about the GOP... soulless.

October 5, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |