October 5th, 2008

Biden's mother-in-law dies

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/05/art.bidenslean1005.gi.jpg caption="Jill Biden's mother died Sunday. Sen. Biden has canceled his campaign events planned for Monday and Tuesday."]
WILMINGTON, Delaware (CNN) - Joe Biden's spokesman said the Delaware senator would be canceling campaign events Monday and Tuesday in the wake of his mother-in-law's death Sunday.

"Other details will follow, but we appreciate everyone's respect for the family's privacy during this difficult time," wrote Biden spokesman David Wade.

Bonny Jacobs, Jill Biden's mother, had been sick for a long time and was living in a hospice.

Wade announced Saturday that Sunday and Monday's events were canceled after doctors told the family to stay close by. He said the family is now together at home in Wilmington.

The death comes the same day Biden's son Beau deploys with his National Guard unit to a mobilization station in Texas before a tour in Iraq.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Popular Posts
  1. Vic

To Senator Joe Biden and his wife Jill, and all his family, we send our condolences upon the death of your Mother and member of your family. Like the rest of the country, we have great respect and sincere empathy in your loss. As for the political side, we have a difference, but this does not lessen our care and sympathy for you in this time for you.

October 5, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  2. cindy

We love you Joe Biden! I will pray for your family ... especially for the safety of your son.

Cindy
    Kentucky

October 5, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  3. s

I send my sincere condolences to the Biden family. You will be in my prayers.

October 5, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  4. Matt

Deepest condolences to the Biden family. I'm sorry for your loss.

October 5, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  5. Slomo

And how would CNN be framing this story if it was a close relative of McCain or Palin ? "Will they pull out of the race because of this" or "If they have to take time off from the campaign this means they can not multi-task and are therefore worthless hacks". CNN will use this to bolster their support for the Democrat Party ticket.

October 5, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  6. ANDREW

That just sucks. That is the best words I can use to express the death of Sen. Bien's mother-in-law. Best wishes and deepsest sympathies to his family.

October 5, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  7. The Red Man

My condolences to you, Senator Biden.

October 5, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  8. Matt from Ohio

I am very sorry to hear that, Senator Biden, I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

October 5, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  9. Elizabeth in Dallas

-Thoughts and prayers to the Biden family– we support you.

October 5, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  10. kefa

May her Soul rest in Peace! I just wish she lived to see her son inlaw elected vice-president!

October 5, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  11. lorenzo

were hanging in there for the biden family.. stay strong, stay positive. shell be looking down from heaven and see that you will be apart of AMERICAN history.

October 5, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  12. Loretta

I'm am so sorry. God be with you and your family at this very painful time.

October 5, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  13. Rhea

Mr. and Mrs. Biden you are in my prayers.

October 5, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  14. sacto joe

May God rest her soul. Senator, you're the salt of the earth. Keep being yourself.

What a contrast to that phony VP the Republicans have put up!

October 5, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  15. Some Things Never Change

God bless you and your family Senator Biden. I am so sorry for your loss, please accept my condolences and know that I pray for you and your family in this time of sorrow and loss.

May the Lord bless you and keep you.
    May the Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you.
    May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace.

October 5, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  16. Robthesecond in Dallas

My prayers and the prayers of the nation are with you and your family Senator Biden. God Bless you and yours in this time of need. I would hope there are no ignorant comments in this thread by anyone republican , democrat, or independent. Rob

October 5, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  17. jkl

R.I.P

October 5, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  18. RT

In our thoughts, Senator.

October 5, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  19. Faiza

May the soul rest in peace. and give courage to loved ones to bear this loss

October 5, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  20. Tina Seltzer

I am so sorry to hear of Bidin's loss. My sympathy to the family.
    TS

October 5, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  21. Alex, Athens, OH

My sincere condolences to Sen Biden during this time of harships. Maybe he should take off more time than Monday and Tuesday to mourn the loss.

October 5, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  22. Erika

we are very sorry for your loss senator, our thoughts are with you

October 5, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  23. keesa from new orleans

MY SYMPATHY GOES OUT TO BIDEN AN HIS WFE
    SAD NEWS MY GOD BLESS THIS WOMEN SOUL
    STAY STRONG THE BIDENS FAMILY IN MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL

WE LOVE YOU BIDEN FAMILY

October 5, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  24. arlene, CA

Heartfelt sympathy & understanding to Joe & Jill Biden & their family.

October 5, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  25. Neal

Tough day for the Biden's.

October 5, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |