October 5th, 2008

Biden's mother-in-law dies

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/05/art.bidenslean1005.gi.jpg caption="Jill Biden's mother died Sunday. Sen. Biden has canceled his campaign events planned for Monday and Tuesday."]
WILMINGTON, Delaware (CNN) - Joe Biden's spokesman said the Delaware senator would be canceling campaign events Monday and Tuesday in the wake of his mother-in-law's death Sunday.

"Other details will follow, but we appreciate everyone's respect for the family's privacy during this difficult time," wrote Biden spokesman David Wade.

Bonny Jacobs, Jill Biden's mother, had been sick for a long time and was living in a hospice.

Wade announced Saturday that Sunday and Monday's events were canceled after doctors told the family to stay close by. He said the family is now together at home in Wilmington.

The death comes the same day Biden's son Beau deploys with his National Guard unit to a mobilization station in Texas before a tour in Iraq.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Popular Posts
  1. Karl Clark

Dear J Biden,

We pray that you and your family remain strong in this time of lost. You have demonstrated the ultimate love of family and my family truly appreciate and respect you. Your son recently left for the Middle East. My family pray that he remain strong. I know that you experienced so much recently. Again, stay strong. So many people are behind you and beside you. I respectfully believe that God has reunited a few friends.

October 5, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  2. Mike O

Condolence to the family.

October 5, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  3. tishoogle

Our prayers and thoughts are with the Biden Family!

October 5, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  4. wyoming dem

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Joe

October 5, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  5. Glenn; North Carolina

Our prayers go out to you and your wife during this difficult time Sen. Biden.

October 5, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  6. Ray from CA

Truly sorry, Sen. Biden
    God Bless you and your family.

This is not good-bye only see you later

October 5, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  7. ohiojimmy

god bless the family

October 5, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  8. Steve California

Joe and family, I'm sorry for your loss.

God Bless

October 5, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  9. james

With Biden out Obama has no back up. Biden has never received the press coverage given to Palin, It is as though Obama is fighting a two angainst one fight. Give Biden equal time as Palin.

October 5, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  10. F - SC

We send our condolences to Joe Biden and his family at this sad time
    for them.

October 5, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  11. A CANUCK

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this very sad time. God bless.

October 5, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  12. BILLY

Our hearts go out to the Biden family my God Bless them in this
    time of their loss

October 5, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  13. Danielle

Prayers & condolences to Sen. Joe Biden and his family.

October 5, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  14. Minnesotan for Dems

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Biden Family in this difficult time.. Am very sorry for your loss... May God bless and protect your son while deployed... And God Speed him home fast..

October 5, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  15. Nancy

This is a sign from God himself. He doesn't want Barrak Hussein Osama in the white house.

MCCAIN/PALIN 08!

October 5, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  16. J, FL

My condolences to Jill Biden and the Biden family. May you find strength and courage in knowing that regardless of party affiliation, we are human and are thinking about and praying for you in this difficult time.

October 5, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  17. sharon walker

Dear Friends:
    My condolences to Senator Biden and his family!
    This is from my entire family! God be with her.

October 5, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  18. obama4pres

My thoughts and prayers are with the Biden family.

R.I.P.

October 5, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  19. Pamila Shields

My prayers go out to the Biden Family.

October 5, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  20. Rod

Senator Biden I would like to send you and your wife Jill My condolences. You and your family will be in my prayers.

October 5, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  21. Peachbird

May the Creator guide and protect you and your family through these sad days, Sen. Biden. Walk in Beauty and Balance on the Earth Mother.

October 5, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  22. Hutch

We are deeply sorry for Jill and Joe Biden.

October 5, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  23. Riama

Americans who value the importance of family can do no less that to respond with sympathy and understanding, unlike the response of Sarh Palin during her insensitive posturing during her debate with Gentleman Biden. With deepest sympathy and hope for added strength.

October 5, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  24. Terri

My condolences to the family.

October 5, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  25. APS in Hawaii

Deepest sympathy and best wishes. It is always hard to lose a loved one.

October 5, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |