October 5th, 2008

Biden's mother-in-law dies

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/05/art.bidenslean1005.gi.jpg caption="Jill Biden's mother died Sunday. Sen. Biden has canceled his campaign events planned for Monday and Tuesday."]
WILMINGTON, Delaware (CNN) - Joe Biden's spokesman said the Delaware senator would be canceling campaign events Monday and Tuesday in the wake of his mother-in-law's death Sunday.

"Other details will follow, but we appreciate everyone's respect for the family's privacy during this difficult time," wrote Biden spokesman David Wade.

Bonny Jacobs, Jill Biden's mother, had been sick for a long time and was living in a hospice.

Wade announced Saturday that Sunday and Monday's events were canceled after doctors told the family to stay close by. He said the family is now together at home in Wilmington.

The death comes the same day Biden's son Beau deploys with his National Guard unit to a mobilization station in Texas before a tour in Iraq.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Popular Posts
  1. Veteran for change

Jill Biden was my teacher for one semester at Deltech. She is a fine woman and I have the upmost admiration for her. Her family is in our thoughts.

October 5, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  2. Mike O'Brien

Sorry.., Joe, for your family loss. Do whatever , you have to do for your family. Joe.., the best thing for the Democratic Party is Sarah Palin. You just.., take care of business. Mike in Montana

October 5, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  3. Joe Biden--Get Back on the Trail

Hey Joe-we need you stumping out there for Obama so let's see you out there tomorrow--we have no time to lose as we have to beat McCain--be a team player Joe-

Obama 08'

October 5, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  4. wow

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Biden family today. May God bless and keep you and I hope you stay strong.

October 5, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  5. Leslie from Garden Grove, CA

Senator Biden and family, I am terribly sorry for your loss. May God be with you all...

October 5, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  6. JC

Joe and Jill have my deepest sympathy.

October 5, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  7. Just Human

Senator Biden. Thank you for your service to our country. I want you to know we appreciate you and your family. May God bless you in your time of sorrow. BH

October 5, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  8. Frank B. Cascio

I'm sure the whole country shares the grief that Jill Biden is experiencing. Thank God she will always have the memories and thank God she has such a wonderful and caring husband.

October 5, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  9. James in NYC

My best wishes through these tough times Mr. future VP.

October 5, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  10. dee

God bless you and your family, Senator Biden.

October 5, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  11. Julie

My heart goes out to Joe & Jill and their family.

October 5, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  12. Obama Supporter

My condolences to you and your family on your loss. I hope God gives you the strength and fortitude to bear this loss.

October 5, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  13. USHA

Joe Biden has a Big Heart, he treats the family and his country in the same level.

October 5, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  14. Alice Hurst

My sympathy and loving thoughts are with Mrs. Biden and her family, during this time of grief. You have given wonderful support to Sen. Biden. I pray for your strength during this very busy and difficult time.

Also, I pray for Senator Biden's good health and strength to do what needs to be done in the next few weeks. He gets an A+ in the debate.
    I was very proud of him. He has such good sense and can communicate beautifully.

Keep on, keeping on.
    Oct. 5, 2008

October 5, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  15. Lisa

Very sorry for the BIden family, I hope everyone is respectful at this very difficult time. God bless you all!!!

October 5, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  16. SF, Carrollton

God Speed, Senator Biden and family.

October 5, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  17. Utah mom for Obama

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Senator Biden, you are an inspiration to many, please know that we are behind you 100%.

October 5, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  18. Peter (CA)

All our prayers are with the Biden family. It is events like this that give the whole campaign some perspective.

October 5, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  19. Margaret, New Hampshire

Joe-it's not about you, it's about Obama, so drop everything and get back to the campaign-

Obama 08'

October 5, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  20. hopeful in hawaii

May God Bless and keep you and your lovely wife during this difficult time, Joe. We love you!
    And PS–you creamed shriekin' sarah the other night!

October 5, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  21. BBB

No matter what your political beliefs, the loss of a family member is a cause for sadness. So sorry for your family's loss Senator Biden.

October 5, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  22. JohnLee

Our thoughts and prayers are with you Senator Biden and your wife and family. I know it isn't easy to lose a mother. May you be comforted greatly during this time.

October 5, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  23. tinkeraw

We are sorry to hear of Sen. Biden's family loss. It is never easy to lose someone you love even if that person has been ill and the death is expected.

October 5, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  24. Lifelong Republican for Obama, Columbia, TN

This is a terrible thing to have happen. My deepest thoughts and most sincere prayers are with Joe and Jill and their family during this time of grief.

October 5, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  25. Nikhil

Joe we all give u are best wishes and best of luck, if the republicans dare attack u during this time i am definately not votin republican

October 5, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |