October 6th, 2008

CNN Poll: Obama advantage grows

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/06/art.obama.lead.gi.jpg caption="A new national poll suggests Barack Obama is taking the lead."]

Likely voters nationwide:

Obama: 53 percent
McCain: 45 percent

NASHVILLE, Tennessee (CNN) - A new national poll suggests Barack Obama is widening his edge over John McCain in the race for the White House.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll out Monday afternoon suggests that the country's financial crisis, record low approval ratings for President Bush, and a drop in the public's perception of Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin all appear to be contributing factors in Obama’s gains among voters.

Fifty-three percent of likely voters questioned in the poll say they are backing Obama for president, with 45 percent supporting McCain. That 8 point edge is double the 4 point margin Obama held in the last CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll, taken in mid-September.

Low approval numbers for the current commander-in-chief may be part of the reason Obama’s fortunes are rising in the latest survey: Only 24 percent of those polled approve of President Bush's job performance, an all-time low for a CNN survey.

"Bush has now tied Richard Nixon's worst rating ever, taken in a poll just before he resigned in 1974, and is only 2 points higher than the worst presidential approval rating in history, Harry Truman's 22 percent mark in February 1952," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.

Full story

Filed under: CNN Polls
  1. Susie in Bandon, Oregon

Obama

Keep your campaign clean, clear on subject matter, professional, and honest and

You will be the next president of the United States!

Let McCain bury himself and take the loud mouth with him!

October 6, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  2. Abby

Yes We Can! We are more afraid of our 401k becoming worthless than the fear-mongering culture war. It won’t work this time. We have real issues to worry about and we want the Harvard guy to fix it. Obama 08!

October 6, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  3. no fear

this is encouraging news, truly. hope the trend continues. hope, hope, hope.

October 6, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  4. Donald, Canton,NC

Enough of this negativity from McCain/Palin.

Its time to nuke McCain directly with his connection to the Keating Five
    and Sarah Palin's "successionist" husband.

What has John McCain done for American? Who is the real John McCain? Enough of this "My Friends...", and his belicose remarks I've heard all day.

My advice is for them to shut the hell up and offer specific, concrete, achieveable actions. I'm tired of hearing these two moroons on TV.

October 6, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  5. Mark

I hope the "chad" issue won't elect John McCain in Florida . Hopefully, that tactic will be taken care of this election.

October 6, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  6. Ben

Gosh I hope Obama's lead keeps growing...the American people are starting to see the lies and slime that are at the foundation of McCain's campaign. I am so sick of his dirty politics and hope he gets creamed come November 4th!!! Keep it up Barack!!!

October 6, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  7. AJ

I do make over $250,000 and I DO support Obama. I am far more willing to pay a little more and have a government I can trust, than to pay less and have 4 mores years of Bush.

McCain and his sidekick are out of touch and out of time.

Obama/Biden '08, 12

October 6, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  8. jfs Memhis, Tn

I Think McCain's Campaign needs to stop going negative and offer recommendations and solutions. If he doesn't the polls will get EVEN uglier within the next week.

October 6, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  9. Subramanian Venkatraman

. I have always been telling that I put my country first before myself. That is exactly what I did

October 6, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  10. Scott NYC Independent

In spite of McGrumpies lies

October 6, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  11. FLewis

Bye bye McSane and take the babydoll Palin with you.

October 6, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  12. yeah!

that's what i'm talking about!

October 6, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  13. Debbie

Sarah Palin is burying McCain–

October 6, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  14. Pat, Pa.

What a pathetic pair McCain and Palin are. Lie, lie, lie ! I just heard McCain down in New Mexico and I couldn't believe how he continues to just tell the same old lies. It seems as though he had the audience with him and that is really sad because these people will really suffer if they elect him. I guess with todays news about the stock market they still don't get it. I sure hope that they do soon.

October 6, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  15. ConcernedTN

No, you can't! This race has already been bought and paid for.

October 6, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  16. Led

Peep this McCain !

October 6, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  17. Edwin K C

Time is up for 3 people

1.President Bush
    2. Sen J MaCcain
    3. Gov. S Pallin

Obama/ Biden and Democratic Party

October 6, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  18. Allison

If you don't know the answer or don't have a clue as to solve the problem, sling the mud. McCain and Palin are slinging mud as fast as they can shovel it to the public.

October 6, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  19. Ian

I find it weird that people think Obama would be the better candidate at addressing the economy since he voted to bail out wall street.

October 6, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  20. Abby

Oh oh,..i wander what Erratic McCain will try in light of this news?

October 6, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  21. Peter Dunn, CO

. . .The lies aren't working.

October 6, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  22. AJ

Obama makes me want to puke...

October 6, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  23. Chris

Duh, what do people expect when McCain is offering up no solutions to the economic problems America is facing? McCain would rather start attacking Obama.

Note to McCain and company we don't want to hear that any more give up some solutions to the PROBLEMS!!!
    Old man an youg lady stuck in a time warp!!!

October 6, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  24. David Orbach, New York, NY

Obama's lead is widening, I think. From what I am reading . . .

October 6, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  25. Shari, NY

McCain and Palin are unwittingly sabotaging their own campain. As another poster said: "I am feeling sorry for them" – but not too fast, they are so tricky that I will wait with baited breath until Nov. 5.

October 6, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |