October 6th, 2008

Obama: McCain shouldn’t ‘turn the page’ on economy

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/06/art.obama.econ.gi.jpg caption="Obama says McCain is avoiding discussing the economy."]

(CNN) – Barack Obama said Monday that John McCain is intentionally trying to avoid talking about the economic crisis because it would hurt the Republican nominee’s presidential campaign.

As the stock market dropped even more on Monday afternoon and affected markets around the world, Obama criticized McCain for playing politics over talking about his plan to fix the economy.

“I have got news for the McCain campaign, the American people are losing right now,” Obama told reporters in Asheville, North Carolina. “They are losing their jobs, they are losing their healthcare, they are losing their homes, they are losing their savings, I cannot image anything more important to talk about than the economic crisis.”

Obama encouraged Congress to work on a second economic stimulus package that would provide direct relief from high gas and food prices and said Henry Paulson and Ben Bernanke need to move quickly to restore confidence in the economy.

Obama said the next steps are to work to improve the housing market and to extend unemployment insurance.

The Democratic nominee said both candidates need to address their plans for the economy during the debate in Nashville on Tuesday night.

“The notion that we would want to brush that aside and engage in the usual political shenanigans and smear tactics that have come characterize too many political campaigns, I think is not what the American people are looking for,” Obama said.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Brian G, Sugar Land, TX

Barack is right. McCain is turned into a whining, simpering, bad mouthing infant. I can not believe that America wants that kind of person at the helm.

Worse still is that snotty moose hunter from up north, who understands little of what goes on ourside of her cloistered environment.

I can hardly wait for election day to vote for Obama and be done with the Republican BS. YUCK!

October 6, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  2. Jack Six Pack

John McCain wants the public to forget that this economic mess is his and Bush's doing with the republican deregulation strategy.

John McCain is such an angry old man he about to start foaming at the mouth spewing out lies at every chance.

I wonder if he's playing to the "values voters" and if so, do you folks appreciate all that lying?

October 6, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  3. ohio

Obama knows what his talking about mccian is attacking like a little kid now. Mccain we dont care about your adds we need real solutions

October 6, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  4. KEATINGECONOMICS.COM

I want to know more about McCain's relationship with Charles Keating and how it pertains to today's economic crisis. Please do a fact check CNN. Why was McCain one fifth of The Keating Five?

October 6, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  5. Old Guy

I have news for John McCain, I have just lost 30% of my life savings in a very diversified 401K account and I'm 64 years old.

John, I don't want to hear about mud slinging crap, I want to know how your going to fix this economy -PERIOD!

October 6, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  6. WOULD YOU PUT A CONVICTED CHILD MOLESTOR IN CHARGE OF KNDERGARTEN CHILDREN? THEN WHY CONSIDER PUTTING MR “KEATING 5” IN CHARGE OF THE LARGEST ECONOMY IN THE FREE WORLD? PALIN=TROOPERGATE SO 2 CROOKS ON THE SAME TICKET?

Now, what’s her name has been relegated to the back pages of the political history book, where her only stated merit will that she freed Dan Quayle from the public humiliation he as had to endure. She is officially a bigger bobble head than he is.

The Reptilians should be proud that their campaign has been reduced to an iconic American punch line!

The Reptilians should just privately concede the election and do an honorable last month so they will live to fight another day. MAYBE they can regroup in time for 2012.

Continuing down the road the “Liar’s Express” is now traveling will only bring out the whole Keating 5 etc, and cause the Reptilians to lose any respect from middle America. Reptilians will not only be a laughing stock, but a dishonored laughing stock.

No political clout for decades.

But hey, what do I know.

October 6, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  7. michael

McCain is now a sleaze not a hero!!!!

October 6, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  8. tulsa

Once again, McCain is all bluster, fear and smear while Obama is upright, serious and in command of what is important to the American people.

Thank you Senator Obama.

Thanks, but no thanks Senator McCain.

October 6, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  9. biff

I just want the press corp to have a press conference with our vice presidential candidate, Governor Palin.

is that REALLY too much to ask? REALLY??

October 6, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  10. Ex-Republican for Obama

Update: Rasmussen Reports as follows:

"Obama now leads by seven points, 52% to 45% in Florida. A week ago the candidates were tied in the Sunshine State. Two weeks ago, McCain was up five."

McCain, your absolute moral bankruptcy looks to have cost you the election. If it turns into a landslide...you should take your sorry but out of our country, because we are ALL beginning to hate you and everything you stand for. You suck as a person, let alone a politician!

October 6, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  11. Rick

Holy cow, the more one looks into Barack Obama's past the more corruption is uncovered. There has never been a more corrupt, lying person to run for office.

October 6, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  12. California Gold

This weekend the national press covered one suicide over home foreclosure and the other in Ohio a 90-year old woman attempted suicide over foreclosure. McCain wants to "turn the page". No leadership whatsoever. Just ignore the suffering and expect us to vote for him. Listen up McCain: this year it isn't about little issues. It's the economy. Get it?

October 6, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  13. joe six pack

Memo to John McCain:

Hey Mac, I had to close my savings account because I am out of the job and without health insurance. I may lose my home too

Are you going to blame me, poor old Joe, also for the financial crisis?

October 6, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  14. Barney

McWarmonger cannot distract us from our goal of having President Barack Hussein Obama !

October 6, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  15. Republican Base Voting OBAMA

Great job (President Obama) I want to know what you have to fix this broken economy and do not care about what McCain say's or that nut job from Alaska. Move.On right now John and Sara we need Change Now

Obama/Biden 08/12

October 6, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  16. Sandy

It's easy to bad mouth somebody, not so easy to talk about how we might fix this mess the current adminstration likely allowed us to get into.
    Good job Sen Obama, stay on message. The economy, baby, economy!

October 6, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  17. Griff

Barack Obama must be reading my Comments.. The day after... Everytime the day after my comment, he uses my Comments....

October 6, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  18. voter

about time we have an adult in this election. Instead of mud slinging as the McCain campaign is doing, lets talk about the economy. Mud slinging is not paying my bills or helping me find a job.

October 6, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  19. Barney

McCain intervened to get his wife out of Felony charges in stealing drugs from her charity.

He also intervened in Keating 5. Factcheck:
    The Verdict: True. McCain did push to delay regulations that would have cracked down on savings-and-loans practices and intervened on Keating's behalf, although he was cleared of wrongdoing in the "Keating Five" case.

In both instances, his status as senator carried too much weight.

October 6, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  20. Ed from Wisconisn

Its very simple, when you’re behind in the polls, behind in Electoral College or anythng for that matter what other option does the GOP have? They have no honor for the most part, nor do they offer the country any new concrete ideas about how to fix the economy. The GOP continues to lack substance or any specifics on real issues. MC Bush/Palin still has not answered how their administration will differ from their friend George Bush. They really don’t need too, because the American public knows that you can put lipstick on a pig, and it will remain one.

God Bless America

October 6, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  21. tatanka

McCain has forgotten about everything except how am I going to defame Obama today. I hate to say this but before the election is over McCain will have Obama being the one that crusified Jesus. You just wait and see.

October 6, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  22. josbam

A great lesson of patriotism for the old angry guy ans his ignorant running mate..Yes Obama continue talking about whatreallly interest maericans:the economy and let the angry jalous old guy continue behaving lik a liar

October 6, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  23. Independent, white woman

Thank you Senator Obama! I cannot believe that at a time like this with te American/global economy on th ebrink of a depression, Mccain wants to change the subject. I care less who Obama happened to be on the same board with and I care less about Mr. Ayers to be honest with you. I care about my pocket book, my future and the country's economy. I am sick and tired of politicians who cannot handle the issues and turn to smear campaigns! Totally sick of it! I want to talk about what the candidates plan to do to get us out of this mess! Plain is running more gegative, how dare she after sounding like an idiot for the past two weeks, just because she got through a well rehearsed debate, it doesn't mean she should be running her mouth full of dirt! Plain, tell me what you will do for our economy other than extend the Bush tax cuts and follow the Bush economic startegies that have not worked!!!!!

October 6, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  24. Lifelong Republican for Obama, Columbia, TN

The economy is the top issue in this election...more so than in any election in recent history! Obama offers a concrete plan to rescue our failing economy, and the only thing that McCain and the extremist Republicans can offer are baseless lies and false attacks!

Americans, please, ignore the lies, fear, and anger that extremist conservatives are trying to distract you with.

Vote smart...vote Obama-Biden in 2008

Do not fall victim to the Rove kitchen sink strategy. These are serious times that demand serious action.

October 6, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  25. Barney

People, vote early. Then turn off the tv. Don't even listen to any more of the republican lies.

NC can vote early 16 Oct.

Obama gets my vote and the rest of my family.

October 6, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |