October 8th, 2008

Age, health questions continue for McCain

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/HEALTH/10/08/ftl.mccain.health/art.ftl.mccain.health.jpg caption="Republican presidential nominee Sen. John McCain and wife Cindy greet supporters Monday in New Mexico."]
(CNN) - Meghan McCain was on the talk-show couch, being grilled by the hosts of "The View." Does it bother her to hear jokes about her father's age? Megan, 23, started chuckling, and allowed, "He IS old!" Tension was replaced by laughter. But that was summer. These days, for Republican Sen. John McCain, age is no laughing matter.

Watch: Is McCain fit to be president?

Age as political issue has become a reality the McCain campaign does indeed have to face. McCain turned 72 in August, which would make him the oldest man to begin a first term as president - three years older than Ronald Reagan.

Clips of McCain making supposed age-related gaffes circulate on the Internet. Last month, Sen. Claire McCaskill, a Missouri Democrat and a supporter of Democratic candidate Sen. Barack Obama, said McCain's age and skin cancer history were fair game as a campaign issue. "We're talking about a reality here that we have to face."

All this skates over the fact that McCain already allowed reporters a peek at eight years worth of health records, dating back to 2000, while Obama has released a one-page summary from his doctor. McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds said it's a double standard. "The arbiters of this election are not demanding the same level of disclosure about Sen. Obama. He's essentially running on a doctor's note. I had a harder time getting out of high school math class."

Full story

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Brian

McCain moves around like my grandpa. He seems grumpy like him too. Seriously, not trying to make any jokes about it. Its like both of them know their best days are behind them.

October 8, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  2. Sujith, NE

How mean and racist can McCain get? I dont think anyone would like to be addressed" that one" !! I DONT !
    Again, taking a part from what the bailout plan offers{buying out bad mortgages} and selling it as his plan – PATHETIC. I come from a country where we treat/see older people with high respect.But you, McCain will never get that from me ! You are pathetic.

Time to donate some of my hard earned money to the true, sane leader !

O8ama !

October 8, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  3. Lee from FL

im going to agree with Ronda, last night McOld age really did show.

October 8, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  4. William B Moore

I think Obama did a much better job than McCain in the debate last night. McCain is getting desparate with all of the negative comments and accusations. McCain is doing too much flip flopping on what he would do for the country. I watched him on the news saying he would follow Bush's blue print for the country.

October 8, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  5. Tony Hasnain

Game os Over!!!!Please welcome our 44th President Mr. Barak H. Obama!!!!!!!!!!!

October 8, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  6. Typical White Person

Yeah, to a 23 year old anyone over 40 is "old". The think is, someone who has lived longer has more life experience to all upon when making judgement calls. You know, decisions like, "should I kick off my career in the living room of a terrorist?" Or, "should I marry a raving racist and take my children to the church of a raving racist?"

October 8, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  7. Christine Independent for Obama

I think the jokes about hair plugs, comments about Reagan, and Tip O'Neill, show McCain's age. Not that there's anything wrong with being an elder statesman- but age is one thing, and being out of touch is another.

October 8, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  8. Veteran in Kansas

I am getting there, but John McCain is a bitter old man who is living in the past. He remains firm on old failed ideas and policies that have failed over the past 30 years and thinks they are bew and creative. No they are just failed and forgotten.

October 8, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  9. Cuban-mami-4-OBAMA

McCain was clearly, nervous, anxious last night. Did anyone notice that his voice quivered and cracked?

Did anyone notice that McCain was nervously pacing?

Thing is we, have EYES, and we see two men who are the OPPOSITES ON STAGE.

We listened carefully.

BY THE WAY HOW DOES MCCAIN BUY 'MORTGAGES TO BOOST THE HOUSING MARKET' ? WHEN ........THIS......IS........ALREADY.......PART OF THE BAIL OUT BILL?

October 8, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  10. Joe PA

I am waiting for McCain to be at a rally or during the next debate to look up and have this confused look on his face Then say who are you people where am I.

October 8, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  11. Dave g, Minneapolis

Certainly, their differences are too small to matter–on the big issues like the bailout, they both voted for it. This uncontrolled spending and bigger government is what the Democrats and Republicans are all about now.

Only the Libertarian party and Bob Barr are against growing the government.

The two can ramble on about tax cuts or spending freezes, but it's all smoke and mirrors. McBama will not make government smaller. Only Bob Barr will.

October 8, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  12. Ted van Tol

Some people on these blogs are wondering way only democrats and independents react.
    I knlow the answer: there are no republicans left who believe in the policy, campaign ore person of John McCain enymore.
    With a vote for McCain America is heading for the past.
    With a vote for Obama America is heading to the future.

October 8, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  13. JL

Did you SEE him shuffling around during last night's debate?

Seriously, he looked like one of those zombie characters in a movie.

October 8, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  14. ADG

No he is not fit to be presidant, he was breathing hard last night like he couldn't catch his breath , hes a tired old man who needs to retire

October 8, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  15. Bill NY

All this talk about McCain's health and age mean absolutely nothing. McCain could announce that he is changing his sex and has six months to live and he will still win. Despite claims to the contrary this country is not ready to elect a non-white to the office of president. As soon as most whites get into that voting booth they will pull the lever for the white candidate pure and simple no matter how qualified the other candidate is. People will not care that this country is headed for disaster if we stay the course we are on. They would rather starve and die than elect a black man.

October 8, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  16. Tony

McCain looked much older and more frail than I have ever seen him in last evening's debte.

He seemd to be angry, but unfortunately his anger seemd directed at Obama rather than at the issues.

Definitely NOT what we need in the next president.

If anyone is still "undecided" (something I will never understand, as I feel the self-proclaimed undecideds are just people unable to make a commitment and stick by it. They will wait until after the election so taht they can say they voted for the winner, or will wait to see how he/she does and if a good job, will claim they voted for them, and if a bad job, will say they voted against them) all you need do is look for the post right here on this site where Palin spoke with reporters yesterday on her campaign plane. Read the qurstions and ask yourselves if you really want Palin one breath away from the presidency.

October 8, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  17. Mike in Columbus

"McCain already allowed reporters a peek at eight years worth of health records"

A "peek" is right... to an approved group of doctors, for 3 hours on the Friday of Memorial day weekend...

October 8, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  18. joe schmoe

Senator McCain's age and health would be less of an issue if he had released his medical records; instead his staff set out 12,000 pages, unumbered, in a room full of (mostly) non-medical reporters, and gave them a time limit. He has had multiple bouts of melanoma. That in and of itself is serious, for anyone of any age. All I ask for is tranparency. Don't talk to me or treat me like I'm stupid, I'm not. Just be honest. Why is that asking too much?

October 8, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  19. Republican from Minnesota

Saying a 72 year old and a 44 year old should both have their health as an equal issue is like saying Minnesota and Tennessee should have equal snow removal budgets. We don't need the same level of disclosure concerning health from Barack Obama because he's 28 years younger, has never had cancer, and has a VP who is capable of replacing him should the unthinkable happen. I normally lean republican, but the ridiculousness of the McCain campaign has driven me straight to Obama/Biden.

October 8, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  20. Democrat in Red State

Just watching him shuffling across the floor last night, had me worried for him. Looks like he is ready for a walker.

Age aside, he has yet to explain anything that he plans to do or how he plans to do it. Too many lies, too condescending, too stupid on his choice of a running mate and let’s face it…can you say CLUELESS?

October 8, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  21. Phil Newton Murphy, Oregon

McCain is Penguin redux.

THAT ONE for ALL
    ALL for THAT ONE

October 8, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  22. bobbi

with his age and his RACIST running mate, i think he should just concede.

October 8, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  23. Alice

I am sure Obama would be happy to release any additional medical records, The fact is, he HAS no medical history. He is a healthy 44-year-old.

Hardly comparable to a 72-y.o. cancer patient/torture survivor.

October 8, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  24. Bob Stephens

McSame looked like the grumpy old man that used to live in my neighborhood when I was a kid, and that everyone hated. He would swear at the other kids, even if they played in the street near his house, but if the kids walked by with their parents, he would smile and wave like he was friendly. Just like McSame, with his " My friends" expression repeated and repeated over and over again , interlaced with "Maverick"....

October 8, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  25. sabuc for Obama

McCain is old. Not only did he act old he sounded old in the debates.

October 8, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |