October 9th, 2008

NRA endorses McCain-Palin ticket

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/07/art.macpalwave1007.gi.jpg caption="A powerful gun rights groups has announced it will endorse Sen. John McCain and Gov. Sarah Palin."]
(CNN) – The National Rifle Association said Thursday it plans to endorse Sen. John McCain and Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, citing Sen. Barack Obama's "anti-gun record."

"We will encourage gun owners, hunters and anyone who values freedom to vote McCain-Palin on November 4," Wayne LaPierre, the NRA's Executive Vice President, said in the statement.

Obama has been on poor terms with gun rights advocates, especially since his controversial remarks about rural residents of Pennsylvania were disclosed before the Pennsylvania Democratic primary. Obama lost to Sen. Hillary Clinton in that race despite investing substantial time campaigning in the battleground state.

The U.S. Supreme Court held for the first time in June of this year that the Second Amendment of the Constitution protects an individual right to own and carry a gun.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain • NRA • Sarah Palin
  1. BM

Of course the NRA endoses McCain?Palin. Guns only end up in the Black neighborhoods and known crimminals.

October 9, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  2. Jerome

NRA should have the heads examined for endorsing a person who is clueless and a person who has no clue (dumb and dumber). They should be thinking of the country and McCain and Palin are definately wrong for the country.

October 9, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  3. Biff

BREAKING NEWS:
    NRA ENDORSES MCCAIN/PALIN

BREAKING NEWS:
    NAACP ENDORSES OBAMA

geez... was this REALLY news?

October 9, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  4. Roger

hahahahahahahaha....who is the guy on the previous post bragging about having a master's degree in communications......hahahahaha......it took you 6 years to learn how to communicate.

hahahahaha....the whole football team at my school were communications majors....that should tell you all you need to know about bragging about that.

hahahahahaha]

what a joke

October 9, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  5. Kevin

I'm going to be a gun owner and I will never join the NRA.

October 9, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  6. Canuck

Great. All those with guns, git on the plane to Iraq. Go shoot som'n

Is that not what your votin fer. Go join the young men and women who have to live the reality. See ya. McCain will pay the airfare.!!!!

October 9, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  7. Rudy NYC

Why does Camp McCain allow people to shout ugly stuff about Obama? "Kill Him!", for example.

What happens is someone from one of these rallies goes forth and actually tries to shoot Obama?

Would Camp McCain be liable, or part of a conspiracy?

October 9, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  8. Biff

what would REALLY be news is if the NRA "ever" endorsed a Democrat. PERIOD.

October 9, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  9. michael

Who cares if the NRA supports John McSame,they are just backing a loser.Plus Obama is not going to take you guns rednecks..

October 9, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  10. zach

Hahaha, not surprising. I wonder how significant this endorsement will be in Colorado and Virginia...I know they're red states, but I'd have to imagine that Columbine way back when and Virginia Tech just a few years ago have had to have had some sort of pro-regulatory effect...

October 9, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  11. Lifelong Republican for Obama, Columbia, TN

Of course...

Who cares what the NRA thinks. I support the right to own a gun, but let's see...gun vs. putting food on the table now that you're laid off...I think the choice is obvious and the person to elect to make the obvious better is OBAMA!

October 9, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  12. tony

People in the know –realize–OBAMA is a JOKE !!
    He knows nothing–
    His community ORgainizers ( ACORN ) are responsible for this fraudulent election but I'm sure just like REV. Wright, Tony Resko, Bill Ayers and FR. Flager - he will have an excuse for this too -" I was taken out of context "
    Michelle Obama is nowhere to be found - This "strong" woman may be more overbearing than the his campaign would like-

October 9, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  13. Nadim Salomon

What a surprise! My friends, patriot McCain knows how to catch Bin Laden and he knows how to fix the economy but he will not tell us and he will keep us "prisoners" until we elect him president so Sarah Palin can subsequently become President and now the NRA is providing Palin/McCain the guns to keep us "prisoners". Seems perfectly consistent

October 9, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  14. senior for obama

this just in.....the sky is blue!

October 9, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  15. brenda

not a member of nra, dont have agun and dont like that criminals have guns, and especially teens that buy them off the streets. i do, however, believe in the right to buy one and use it to protect myself if i ever feel the need. got no problem with people having guns for the same reasons. i want to know that i can benefit from this right if i have to so my vote goes to mccain because he believes in constitutional rights where obama does not.

October 9, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  16. Raoul

No surprise, but let's not insult those who are gun owners and sportsmen who have the sense to back away from the NRA and support Obama. It's a big tent and we need to welcome people who want in.

October 9, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  17. I Have Thought About It

Dear Scott L,

I have thought about it, and Barack is my choice. Why? He wants to make a difference by changing the Bush policies. We have had 8 miserable years, and now it's time to throw the bum out and not invite another bum (McCain) back.

Obama is my choice, Obama is my choice. I can't wait to vote on November 4th. The day could not get here sooner.

Oh, by the way.
    Barack sat in a church that preached the gospel. I grew up in a black church and sometimes they were politically incorrect, but so are white churches.

October 9, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  18. s.positive

Makes no difference as NRA and the lot will not save these losers...

October 9, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  19. Stacy from Loudoun County VA

Wow, this news flash is like saying "All the Oceans are filled with water".

October 9, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  20. repulican for obama

this just in...the sky is blue!!!

October 9, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  21. Gadissa

Country first I'm voting for Obama/Biden. I don't want Palin's views she wants to change jews to charistian. What is she talking about? Who put this theory in her mind? Cheny and his advirs may be. Alaska and Arizona is going B-B-B L- L -U-E too.

October 9, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  22. Linda

Gun nuts always vote against their own interests. John King had showed this in a graphic after the last debate on CNN. There's a county in Northern Ohio (Ashland?) in which most people vote republican (based on guns and abortion). In the past 4 years, a factory closed laying off 4,000 people. Now they're voting for Obama.

Thomas Frank wrote about this in "What's The Matter With Kansas?" People will vote against their own economic interest based on single issues or because they want to have a beer with a candidate. They deserve no sympathy when they lose their jobs.

Wake up people!! Did Clinton take away your guns during his 8 years??

October 9, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  23. USAF Staff Sergeant

Gun owning U.S. Airman for Obama!

October 9, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  24. D-MI

I am a Democrat and I will vote for Obama, BUT...

When our founding fathers called for a "well regulated malitia", they were speaking of an armed nation that could be called upon (or simply take up arms) AGAINST a authoritarian state that would seek to relieve us of our liberties. "Armed" AT THAT TIME ment a musket: the same weapon that was used both for hunting & warfare.

We as American's SHOULD be asking questions as to WHY, IF WE ARE SANE, LAW ABIDING CITIZENS, we should not be afforded the same right to arm ourselves as the people who are "supposed to be" enforcing laws (police) and protecting us (the military). The left likes to talk about facisim and authoritarian regemes. Do you REALLY want to be unarmed of and when the police decide WE are the problem? Have you SEEN what the police carry these days: the same hardware as the Marines, people...

I do not hunt. I do not carry a gun. I AM a community organizer, and I HATE the Bush administration.

THAT'S WHY I HAVE A GUN.

October 9, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  25. Ken from VA

I value freedom. That is why I am voting for Obama.
    If John McCain will not allow us to talk with our enemys, we are not free. By the way. Obama only wants to get machine guns out of our cities. Any American would know that makes sense.

October 9, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |