October 9th, 2008

NRA endorses McCain-Palin ticket

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/07/art.macpalwave1007.gi.jpg caption="A powerful gun rights groups has announced it will endorse Sen. John McCain and Gov. Sarah Palin."]
(CNN) – The National Rifle Association said Thursday it plans to endorse Sen. John McCain and Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, citing Sen. Barack Obama's "anti-gun record."

"We will encourage gun owners, hunters and anyone who values freedom to vote McCain-Palin on November 4," Wayne LaPierre, the NRA's Executive Vice President, said in the statement.

Obama has been on poor terms with gun rights advocates, especially since his controversial remarks about rural residents of Pennsylvania were disclosed before the Pennsylvania Democratic primary. Obama lost to Sen. Hillary Clinton in that race despite investing substantial time campaigning in the battleground state.

The U.S. Supreme Court held for the first time in June of this year that the Second Amendment of the Constitution protects an individual right to own and carry a gun.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain • NRA • Sarah Palin
  1. Steve A. , New Braunfels , Texas

I am a gun toting redneck ! I will fight to the death for my right to keep arms ! I will never give up my guns ! I AM VOTING FOR OBAMA-YES OBAMA, why ? because I don't trust the republicans anymore on anything. It will be the republicans that take our guns away not the democrats and they will tell us it's "for our on good". Another reason the republicans would disarm the people is because they are afraid of us and they should be. A just goverment should not fear it's people.

October 9, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  2. Obama all the way....

WOW, what a shokcing turn of events!!!!!!!!!!!!

Palin is a gun toting, wolf shooting, polar bear clubbing, moose hunting danger to the world.

Who better to represent the NRA's values??

October 9, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  3. tedious898

I would say "No Big Deal" but what concerns me is if any of the people shouting "terrorist, kill him, treason" feel the NRA's endorsement of McCain / Palin has other opportune meaning.

I own a gun but I don't agree with calling a US Senator a terrorist and raising such issues for people that have a palpable hatred for Barack.

I hope McCain and Palin dial the hate rhetoric back a bit. Many of their supporters seem willing to result to violence rather than have Barack "Hussein" Obama become president.

If something happens to Barack, I will never forgive the Sen. from AZ nor his cheerleader from AK..... and the hatred of America

October 9, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  4. Steve in CA

This news is like the air we breath ... it's so obvious, you don't even think about it. Duh!

October 9, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  5. Biff

Jim in KC..

The only people who don't know Obama's accomplishments and his detailed plans for how the country is bein run (i.e. "change")

ARE THE PEOPLE WHO "DON'T WANT" TO KNOW.

But i give you credit for admitting you would never have voted for Obama anyway. My sense is, you would never vote for a Democrat under any circumstances.

But, I 'do' hope you are well off, financially. Because as I often state; there are only two kinds of republicans.... millionaires..... and suckers.

October 9, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  6. lbv

The only news here is that the NRA waited so long to make their annoucement. Perhaps even they had doubts about the Eratic One.

October 9, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  7. tony

Thank God–!!That's right , God !! That they have this blog for all you lunatics who believe what you preach–
    Thats why they let you yack on this sight-
    You folks are actually entertainment–

October 9, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  8. Carl from MI

Surprise!!!!

Nobody saw this coming... it's a real GAME CHANGER for the election!!

This endorsement has just tipped the scales in favor of McCain now... he will obviously win solely on this endorsement alone because the NRA has SO much power and pull that THEY now decide who does and doesn't win the Presidential Election nowadays!!

I can't wait to see the new polling numbers now that this endorsement made the front page... and the new numbers are?????

McCAIN IS STILL LOSING!!!! HOW CAN THAT BE???

WAKE UP, AMERICA!!! VOTE SMART.... NOT SENILE!!!

October 9, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  9. Raoul

Correction- let's not insult sportsmen and sportswomen who have the sense to back away from the NRA and support Obama. Didn't mean to leave female gun owners out of my original post. The Democratic tent is big and cozy- everyone is welcome!

October 9, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  10. Jeanette Amodio

The NRA is supporting McCain...now that's news! Problem is you not suppose to give guns to crazy people...like McCain, that is at least he goes thru anger management first! Check out You Tube McCain's Anger Issues...the guy's nuts! McCan doesn't smile , he snears!

October 9, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  11. Frank,MO

Well, the people in the Palin/McCain mob called for the shooting of Obama – that may have tipped the NRA over to McWar because evidently, there is a new customer base!

October 9, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  12. Kathy S. Cloughn

As Gomer Pyle used to say: "surprise, surprise, surprise!"

October 9, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  13. Texas Lady

We better enjoy that right while we've got it – the Dems are going to take away the law abiding citizen's guns and ensure that those who don't care have plenty of time to get all the illegal guns they want.

And for those of us who are alone and unprotected – yep the government is going to be able to save us from being raped, robbed and killed.

October 9, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  14. ine

No kidding? 'McCain-Palin mob' on youtube shows a recent pre-rally portion of a documentary. Now THAT is shocking.

October 9, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  15. mary ca

Plus the nra endorsed a nut with a ak47 in his hand, probably a new sport who knows

October 9, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  16. sick n tired

Dont listen to this radical right wing crap.Obama does not want to take your guns away! But he does want more stringent background checks to keep guns out of the hands of criminals! WHICH MAKES SENSE PEOPLE!!! Im a lifelong hunter by the way and i own lots of guns! Am i worried? NOT IN THE LEAST!!!!!

October 9, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  17. tony

Your blaming the wrong people-
    We have only be in trouble for less than 2 Years–Exactly since the Congress turned DEmocratic-
    Repubs are to blame too-
    Remember Bush's approval Rating is just south of 30%–
    Congress is less than 20%-Thats PELOSI and REID !!

Be careful

October 9, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  18. ANGIE

Gun nuts great that what we need for this country more nuts getting their hands on guns School shootings, church shootings, employement shootings, great! innocent people die everyday because guns end up in the wrong hands!

October 9, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  19. For OBAMA

All you Repubs repeat the same stuff over and over again, where's my violin...just like McCain/Palin...Ayers, Acorn, blah, blah. Why don't you either take this time to educate yourself or come up with better/truthful information. I hope you are no Christians ...1) Thou shall not LIE 2) LOVE one another just as I have loved YOU.

October 9, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  20. Huh?

Im a Gun owning Obama Supporter...

October 9, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  21. BM

Why wasn't my last comment posted? As I stated, I think Obama haters need to do their research on Palin and McCain. McCain and Shannon, who is currently serving time for bombing and shooting.Sure give the guns to the nuts and McCain's hand on the red button!

October 9, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  22. Vince

As the owner of 4 rifles, a shotgun and a handgun I would never join the NRA. A tunnel visioned agenda like theirs keeps them blind to the fact that they are shooting themselves in the foot on other issues (yes, pun intended).

So screw the NRA and screw McCain/Failin'

October 9, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  23. Boisepoet

No surprise here. They were calling me with lies about Obama months ago. As a gun loving and carrying Idaho Democrat I let my membership lapse a few years ago due to personal financial reasons, but after the lie-laden calls I received I will never ever reinstate it.

October 9, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  24. FJ from Atlanta

Charles Heston must be dancing in his grave. WHO CARES ABOUT THIS?

October 9, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  25. wow

and this should come as a surpise because???

October 9, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |