October 9th, 2008

NRA endorses McCain-Palin ticket

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/07/art.macpalwave1007.gi.jpg caption="A powerful gun rights groups has announced it will endorse Sen. John McCain and Gov. Sarah Palin."]
(CNN) – The National Rifle Association said Thursday it plans to endorse Sen. John McCain and Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, citing Sen. Barack Obama's "anti-gun record."

"We will encourage gun owners, hunters and anyone who values freedom to vote McCain-Palin on November 4," Wayne LaPierre, the NRA's Executive Vice President, said in the statement.

Obama has been on poor terms with gun rights advocates, especially since his controversial remarks about rural residents of Pennsylvania were disclosed before the Pennsylvania Democratic primary. Obama lost to Sen. Hillary Clinton in that race despite investing substantial time campaigning in the battleground state.

The U.S. Supreme Court held for the first time in June of this year that the Second Amendment of the Constitution protects an individual right to own and carry a gun.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain • NRA • Sarah Palin
  1. Nan

The only question is why did they take so long to do it? Answer is even they aren't sure Palin (one of their members) is qualified

October 9, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  2. Gadissa

NRA. What a looser. All the members of NRA is not only GOP. You can not represent all the members.

October 9, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  3. Southern view

Butter, not guns.

October 9, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  4. Jim Schimmer

McSame will try whatever he can to win! HaHa!!

HOW PATHETIC!!

October 9, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  5. Lucy

Doesn't matter if I own a gun, the only one who is not displaying hatred and trying to get somone killed (MC/Palin), is OBAMA. I always go for integrity, personally.
    Remember last summer when Cheney and Huckabee were stumping at a rally for McShameful Loser and what Huckabee told all the members to do?? This is truly appalling.

October 9, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  6. Linda

Funny...we own close to 10 guns (mostly inherited, my father was a duck hunter) including shotguns, rifles, and a pistol. We never use them, and never intend to do so. It's also funny that no democrat has ever tried to come take them away from us.

Why do conservative gun owners have such a persecution complex? Why are they so paranoid?? NOBODY IS GOING TO TAKE YOUR GUNS AWAY!!

October 9, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  7. Brian

Joe Biden is a staunch supporter of gun rights. Obama isn't going to touch Biden's guns, and Biden would never let Obama touch my guns.

But is that really what we should be worrying about, in this time of severe economic crisis? Obama will help keep my family members employed with the right tax policies and the right stimulus plans to keep the economy humming. That's all I care about right now.

October 9, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  8. Georgia Gal

Well did we really expect them to endorse Obama-Biden?

October 9, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  9. James in Hawaii

Not a surprise when you consider their membership pool, track record and historical origins.

October 9, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  10. Shell Shocked from the O'Bama lies

LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE! Your idiotic comment is full of B.S.... you automatically believe everything O'Bama's cronies tells you.

Boisepoet October 9th, 2008 1:32 pm ET

No surprise here. They were calling me with lies about Obama months ago. As a gun loving and carrying Idaho Democrat I let my membership lapse a few years ago due to personal financial reasons, but after the lie-laden calls I received I will never ever reinstate it.

October 9, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  11. Corey Gabriel

I'm a gun owner, but the NRA is a bunch of nut jobs. Of course they will endorse their fellow lunatics, McCain & Palin. Did we expect any less?

October 9, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  12. Kentucky

Brenda, you're willing to vote for McCain just because he wants and allows guns?! You're willing to put the economy, my son in Iraq, and millions of American's at risk just so you can have your gun? Just goes to show you just how shallow some people are. For the most part, they are all McCain supporters. I'm sorry, but my son, the economy, the future of my grandchildren and millions of American's would prefer not to have a gun if it meant giving up the important things I just mentioned. Grow up!

October 9, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  13. Shocked Voter

Wow, I'm shocked! Never saw this coming!!

Just like I never saw Donald Trump endorsing McCain...does CNN not think we're smart enough to figure some of this out on our own?

October 9, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  14. Lorna, NY

Gee, I am shocked!

October 9, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  15. Big Mike

There is no doubt that the McCain camp is posting on CNN to take away from the message Obama is spreading so well.Ours eye's are wide open McCain camp and we do see what you guys are trying to do.....It won't work.You are behind in the polls and are going to lose no matter what kind of trickery you pull,try or say. Your man if you can still call him that is a lost cause.Face the facts and enjoy the ride.

October 9, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  16. Living in the USA

I can see Tina Fey with a rifle and a six pack of beer. I wanna discuss the real gangsters and thugs of AIG and Lehman about how they robbed from the poor and gave to the rich.

October 9, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  17. Sweetie

If the Chicago Thugs take over the White House we will be more then “Clinging to our guns!”

With a Weak Economy and a Weak President, those of us living near our borders will be shooting at our enemies who smell our blood and come on in for the final kill.

If I thought this wasn't actually a True possibility I'd LOL!

October 9, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  18. Willa-Pa

My son is an avid hunter...and like me...voting for Obama/Biden.

Obama/Biden 08/12

October 9, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  19. Alex

As a Republican and supporter of SOME of the legislation put forth by the NRA, I'm actually extremely pleased to see some NRA members voting their conscience even though I'm no Obama supporter. McCain says "country first", but double talk (instead of straight talk), hypocrisy and lack of integrity is what I'm seeing coming out of him and his people lately.

October 9, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  20. Paula, Los Angeles CA

I am sure everyone is surprised by this endorsement... "who woulda thunk it?!?"....Please...

Obama/Biden '08!

October 9, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  21. James, Philadelphia

With the economy in shambles and people losing their homes and jobs this shouldn't even be an issue. Unfortunately, for millions of people I'm sure it is. McCain had their support the second he picked his moose-killing running mate though so I don't see how this changes the race. If anything, it might help Barack with Independent women.

October 9, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  22. ine

Who cares? The NRA endorsement is probably the ONLY action the McCain ticket has received in the past several months. AND it is just an NRA endorsement. McCain just bow out gracefully, if you have it in you.

The documentary "The McCain-Palin Mob", about pre-rally goings on before a McCain rally recently is a REAL eye-opener. It tells you a great deal about the remaining hardcore McCain hangers on.

October 9, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  23. Tony

Why is this news?

The NRA never endorses anyone other than the Republican candidate.

Must be a slooooooooooooooooooooow day at CNN.

October 9, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  24. Phil in KC

Big whoop. There's a surprise.

October 9, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  25. Robert

If the NRA supports McCain...Shame on them. This time they would be voting for someone who doesn't have a clue on how to fix this countries Economy. That is unAmerican!

I will hereafter vote against any of the NRA gun policies.

October 9, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |