October 10th, 2008

Bush: U.S. government will work to resolve crisis

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/10/art.bush.cnn.jpg caption="President Bush worked to calm American's fears Friday."]
WASHINGTON (CNN) - President Bush said Friday that the U.S. government will continue to work to resolve the economic crisis, which he said is being made worse by anxiety and fear.

Watch: Anxiety worses crisis, Pres. Bush says

"Over the past few days, we have witnessed a startling drop in the stock market," he said in the Rose Garden. "Much of it is driven by uncertainty and fear."

He added, "We will continue to act and resolve this crisis."

Filed under: President Bush
  1. LET THE MARKET FALL

MORE BULLSH@T FROM THE 2% THAT CONTROL 80% OF THE MONEY

October 10, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  2. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

Call Bill Clinton's advisors. And Mr Bush – SHUT UP

October 10, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  3. Don

He essentially said nothing. Did nothing. We need a leader right now and Mr. Bush is not it.

October 10, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  4. Noah

Liberals actually think it is a good idea to elect someone who will raise taxes on small business owners, who are the economic engine of our country, and who will restrict free trade. You guys are brilliant. True economists. You cannot get past your hatred of George Bush so you want to punish the country by voting for Obama, who will severely hurt the economy much more.

October 10, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  5. TONY

BUSH'S TIME IS UP!

NO ONE CARE WHAT HE HAS TO SAY OR WAHT HE THINKS.

THE END OR THE REPUBLICAN DICTATORSHIP IS OVER JUST LIKE BUSH'S FAILED PRESIDENCY.

BUSH AND CHENEY HAVE DONE MORE DAMAGE TO AMERICA THAN ANY TERRORIST EVER COULD!

October 10, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  6. tulsa

There are some people in these posts that are really spewing hate. To ME, Scott L, etc... (and some left wing posters too)
    What are you doing? Are you proud of yourselves for being destructive? Don't you think that if you have a real problem with someone it might be better to talk rationally and with facts than to call names, wish death to a fellow human being and countryman? John McCain has given an awfull lot to this country and deserves respect. Barack Obama is the embodiment of what the American dream is all about and he deserves respect too.

We all need to take a step back from the edge and speak to one another with conviction tempered by respect.

October 10, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  7. I'm left holding the bag

I did nothing wrong- paid my conventional mortgage, did not flip homes, did not buy more house than I can afford, contribute to a 401 K because I do not have an employer provided pension plan-– and I have lost more than 50% of my life's savings.

MOST of my retirement money that I worked hard to save over the past 25 years- gone up in smoke- evaporated.

WHO is going to help ME fund my own retirement?

WHO is going to give me back my retirement account that they stole from me?

WHO is going to replace my retirement account?

October 10, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  8. Hayes

How about adding incompetence (in the White House and Congress and both political parties) to the list of reasons for the economic crisis?

Obama/Biden in 2008!

October 10, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  9. kc Colorado

I feel much better now that he says we know how to fix everything. He has done such a great job up until now.

October 10, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  10. Robert The Man

This just shows that if McCain is elected it'll tank our economy even more!!! Wake up republicans!!! McBush!!!!

Obama/Biden '08 Don't playa hate!

October 10, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  11. Kate Fergus

Well look for the markets to tumble even more if McCain is elected. I am sure that an Obama presidency will help to reduce anxiety not only in this country but also around the world.

Bush is a negative influence as are McCain and Palin with their outrageous behaviour and ineffective policy platforms.

October 10, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  12. Laura, WI

America should have a national day of celebration on the day Bush leaves office..and on that date every year thereafter!!

Worst president in History!!

October 10, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  13. c

Economic Treason!
    The Bush administration has accomplished what Bin Ladin has failed to do, devastate the economy of our once strong and proud nation.

October 10, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  14. elm

Every time Bush speaks the market drops. It is now down another 300 points. . Just SHUT UP you idiot!

October 10, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  15. RW

We're at 2000ft altitude and the ground is comming up fast; time to pull the ripcord, vote OBAMA. End the freefall!

October 10, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  16. Thieves

Give me back my retirement account- I worked hard for it, scrimped to save it, and lived below my means to save it.

There was no one else to fund my retirement but myself and my hard work.

Now that retirement money is gone- my entire 3 decades worth of preparing to provide for myself in my retirement- gone.

GIVE it back.

October 10, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  17. Tom Menczel

There was such a rush to get this palan through congress, and yet much of what has been done with the $700 billion has been rhetoric. When will there be some action to asuage this economic crisis?

October 10, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  18. BJGT

Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,

October 10, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  19. Chris from STL

that was very unpresidential.. Mr. President. Did you know, the market dropped as you spoke. I wish you had not spoken.

October 10, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  20. david

right after Obama is elected president

October 10, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  21. cm

We are a strong nation, we will overcome this, we need a new leader a new direction but we will do it.
    Let's think about how we can help our country to clean the mess.
    If we live stuck in the past and fear about the future we can not think clearly. God help us to get the new leader for this country.

October 10, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  22. Nelson Colorado Springs Co

The stock market should drop to 6500 then go up. the market is fake money anyway the value was to high. The people are investing on a promise to make money not to lose money. Give the people the money they will spend it. Go Obama/Biden

October 10, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  23. elm

Make that 350 points down...another 50 in just 2 minutes.

Bush is the worst President in history.

McCain is a delusional old man who shouldn't be anywhere near the White House (or even the Senate).

October 10, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  24. Robert The Man

Please Dem's elect obama. When you keep getting what you ask for and watch this country fall apart due to him i'm sure you'll then blame it on the republicans somehow. You are all fools. I think McCain should drop out right now, just to give you what you want, then when the USA becomes the USSA and you have your basic rights stripped away from you, you can go thank yourself

October 10, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  25. Greg M.

Hide your face in a hole in the ground. Take Palin, McCain and the other REPUBLICANS and put their heads in a hole, a hole.

OBAMA 08..............................................................................................

October 10, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |