October 10th, 2008

Obama's 'blind ambition' targeted

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/10/art.mccainad.cnn.jpg caption="The McCain campaign is targeting Obama's connection to Ayers in a new ad."](CNN) - John McCain is continuing his effort to associate Barack Obama with 1960's radical William Ayers, launching a national campaign ad Friday that accuses the Illinois senator of "blind ambition."

"Obama's blind ambition. When convenient, he worked with terrorist Bill Ayers. When discovered, he lied. Obama. Blind ambition. Bad judgment," the ad's narrator says.

Watch: Don't trust a 'Chicago politician' McCain says

Congressional liberals fought for risky sub-prime loans. Congressional liberals fought against more regulation," the narrator continues. "Then, the housing market collapsed costing you billions. In crisis, we need leadership, not bad judgment."

Watch: The latest McCain campaign ad targets Obama's 'bind ambition'

The spot is the latest in a series of attempts by the Arizona senator’s campaign to raise questions about Obama's past ,and portray the Democratic presidential nominee as less than candid about his political origins.

Related: Ayers and Obama crossed paths on boards, records show

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. mayah

He is a blessed man soon to be the NEXT PRESIDENT of the UNITED STATES... read the book of Job, it will tell you that no evil can destroy him...

October 10, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  2. Mike D. in San Diego

The problem for the Republicansis very simple. They've totally lost credibility. After 8 years of lies the chickens have come home to roost. The funny thing to me is how suprised they seem. They can scream "Obama is a Terrorist" (which is ludicrous...even the Republicans know it) all day long and no one will listen.

October 10, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  3. Angry Republican

If the republicans could have picked a presidential candidate who is somewhat sane and rational and a vp candidate w/ one eye and half a brain I would probably be voting Republican. I can't in good conscience vote for that ticket and feel that I made the right choice in those who will lead us for the next 4-8 years. That is why I (and a few other here at work) have made a pact to keep an eye on the speeches, interviews and the debate for the next week and every time McCain says the words "my friends", "Ayers", "who is Barak Obama" or "POW" and every time Palin says the word "maverick" I am adding them all up and donating a $1 for each instance. A couple of the guys here are going to do $5 per instance. I hope they keep it up. The more they say it... the more money goes right to Obama's campaign.

Anybody else wanna make that pledge as well? Even if it is a dime per instance... every penny helps!

4. bbarash

Almost anyone who has worked on education reform issues in Chicago has worked with Bill Ayers. This is beyond silly.

5. Norah (Boston, MA)

I am shocked that McCain is getting so negative- he has too many skeletons that he would like to keep in the closet. Beyond that I think it is horrible what they are doing to Ayers. I admit that I know very little about this man but from what I can gather Ayers was demonstrating against the VietNam war and possibly went too far. However, as far as I can see he was neither convicted or even charged with anything and yet now, 40 years later, when he is a college professor and is working with, and even honored by his community, he is being vilified by Palin/McCain and even the press. It would seem that he is living a productive, humanitarian life and he is being attacked for what may have happened 40 years ago. This is wrong. To connect Obama with the events of 40 years ago is absurd.

6. Gerald

Someone needs to inform Sen. McShame that desperation has a pointedly distasteful odor... and I am positive they can smell it as far away as Alaska.

7. Never Been Polled

Pathetic. I've always known that there is an ugly side to politics but this goes far beyond ugly. What am I supposed to say to my child (who loves Obama) when she sees this ad? I've taught her to do unto others as you would have them do unto you. I've taught her to respect her elders and if you have nothing good to say about someone, don't say it. Where are your values McCain? Shame on you. You have lost what little respect I had for you. It's time you just go away.

8. Wendy

Apparently, McCain is willing to let the entire country go to hell along with his reputation just to win this thing.

Says alot about the character of a man when he can knife you in the back at his rallies or on TV (or let his women do it for him), but not even look at you in a one-on-one debate, much less attack you personally.

Makes me wonder what he thinks about himself right now. I know what I think.

9. Obamaniac!

You ain't fooling anyone, McCain!

Obama/Biden '08

10. Leah,Texas

Now we know who the real McCain is – a man without integrity or honor.

Time for McCain and Palin to drop out of the race!

O and Joe '08

11. Mike

Democrats are willing to overlook any immoral or anti-american acts in their candidate's past, regardless of how dispicable. I guess it's ok because as soon as they get their guys in place, the mere mention of God in public, or the audacity to display an american flag will be considered a hate crime.

12. sandy

He has nothing else!!! I'm so sorry to see Sen. McCain stoop so low. At one time he was a good Senator doing good for the country, but now he seems to be going as low as any politician can go and will do and say anything to get elected. At one time, my vote was for him,but I cannot in good conscience vote for this man now. I have listened to Senator Obama, and I have watched him handle himself with dignity and I must vote for this man. I do not look at the color of his skin as that is not important. I look at the man and his ability to lead this nation and I have personally decided he is that man.

13. fish

Its seems McCain only wants to tear this country and anything good down with it. Our country is in turmoil and all McCain and Miss Piggy Palin wants to do is bring us all down to their level of ignorance. They should put a muzzel on both of them! Sick of it

14. arc, Lugano CH

John McCain is surviving because of the ignorance, isolationism, and prejudices of many within their electorate, as his campaign events are starting to resemble more and more the KKK rallies of the 1940-50s.

Senators Obama and Biden are thriving for the sake of the intelligence, global-minded perspective, and education of their electorate.

John McCain and Sarah Palin are going to get someone killed.

15. Terry from Iowa

The problem with McCain / Palin is; even if there were truth and facts in any of their current claims (which all have been debunked over and over again the last 20 months) they have no credibility left. All anyone has to do is spend some time on factcheck.org to see the lie after lie, the complete distortion of record and the personal attacks they have deployed in their attempt to win the White House.

We can listen to the hate and lies and be brain washed into believing this desperate propaganda or we can educate ourselves and learn the facts and find the truth. Even Joe Biden, who once said that Barack Obama was dangerous and wasn’t prepared, now recognizes what a great leader Obama is and what a great President he will be. It’s funny what happens when you look someone in the eye and get to know their heart.

I’m a proud American, from the great state of Iowa, who served my country. I’m a white Christian father of three teenagers. I love my country, my family and my Lord. I must do what is right for all three.

Join me in voting for Barack Obama and Joe Biden, Americans we can trust.

16. Justin Cider

Desperation is a stinky cologne...

17. Sue M

Republicans do you know what McCain and Palin are doing to your Party? Are you all going to go down because of this man and his choice of VP Palin? This is ugly, this is disgraceful, this is dishonorable, you don't want Obama, then run on the issues, McCains policies against Obama's policies, but not this trash.......I am a democrate but I have voted in the past Republican, I vote for the person I feel will represent American and the people the best and McCain/Palin have proven they are not quailified.

18. Olga

McCain is so pathetic I almost feel badly for him...VOTE OBAMA!!!

19. peggy

ERRACTIC! Means, To wander,having no fixed course,irregular,eccentric,queer erractic person.WEBSTER SAYS THAT ! And that is McCain to a T .By the way it does not mention age at all!
    peg,tenn

20. jen

McCain is a dirty man!! His tactics are desperate and flat out wrong. It WILL NOT WORK AGAIN!!!!!!!!! The economy is falling apart and this is what he is talking about....

21. Jennifer - American in Canada

Blind Ambition is what I would call Sen McCain's attempt to Smear Sen Obama with everything he can throw at him. What exactly is his goal here? Mr McCain's "Blind Ambition" is to be the next President of the USA and he is using "Bad Judgement" smears to achieve this goal.

22. Denise from Alabama

The question is: Who is Barack Obama?

The answer is: The next President of the United States.

23. John

"Ambition." You mean like you had in the book you wrote, Big J? Let's see, when an individual decides he/she wants to be President of the U.S., they are usually have a large ego and ambition to burn. Big J, start talking about issues. Oh, forgot. A campaign stated you would lose, if you took this avenue. Good thing we are used to the Neo-Con way of attempting to win elections:

Who cares about issues, simply degrade your opponent.

24. Ann

I am deeply disappointed in McCain for resorting to these tactics to win the election. I really thought he was above this kind of sleaze

The sad thing is I know people who buy into every rumor that comes along. They refuse to let facts get in the way of their opinions. These are the same people who keep the tabloids in business.

25. Ann Y

McCain, you have disgraced yourself and become a national shame with your campaign of divisive hatred and incitement. You spew smears and slurs, urge hatred and threats, and pit American against American. As you engage in your reprehensible conduct, our economy dies and we suffer. You are self-absorbed, hiding behind the cliche of "Country First." This is about YOUR ambition and how you are willing to sacrifice us all in YOUR pursuit of the White House. You are unfit for that high office, sir, Unfit.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13