October 10th, 2008

Obama's 'blind ambition' targeted

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/10/art.mccainad.cnn.jpg caption="The McCain campaign is targeting Obama's connection to Ayers in a new ad."](CNN) - John McCain is continuing his effort to associate Barack Obama with 1960's radical William Ayers, launching a national campaign ad Friday that accuses the Illinois senator of "blind ambition."

"Obama's blind ambition. When convenient, he worked with terrorist Bill Ayers. When discovered, he lied. Obama. Blind ambition. Bad judgment," the ad's narrator says.

Watch: Don't trust a 'Chicago politician' McCain says

Congressional liberals fought for risky sub-prime loans. Congressional liberals fought against more regulation," the narrator continues. "Then, the housing market collapsed costing you billions. In crisis, we need leadership, not bad judgment."

Watch: The latest McCain campaign ad targets Obama's 'bind ambition'

The spot is the latest in a series of attempts by the Arizona senator’s campaign to raise questions about Obama's past ,and portray the Democratic presidential nominee as less than candid about his political origins.

Related: Ayers and Obama crossed paths on boards, records show

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Frank Alabama

When it comes to Obama it looks like the ACORN, actually a number of them, did not fall far from the tree.

October 10, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  2. PA voter

McCain should be careful using the word "ambition". McCain has a blind ambition to be President:

"I didn't decide to run for president to start a national crusade for the political forms I believed in or to run a campaign as if it were some grand act of patriotism. In truth, I wanted to be president because it had become my ambition to be president. I was sixty two years old when I made the decision, and I thought it was my one shot at the prize."

If McCain becomes President, his job will be done and he'll either be taking lots of naps or may possibly take more vacations than his buddy George W. Bush. So much "for the people"...

3. MJ

I am tired of Obamas free ride through this whole vetting process.
    Why should we not know about his hard drug use, why shouldn't we know about his record at school, what about how he paid for his drugs when he didn't have money. These are the things that need to be looked at before he is given the keys to the white house. What about his friendship with Ayers, they had to have had conversations and evidently Obama agreed with them. Answer any of these questions and you will know what kind of man Obama is.

4. LS, Austin, Texas

Ugh . . . can't wait for this election to be over with. I am sick of hearing about McUgly and his cold, degrading-dark self.

McCain is so negative, and ugly that just reading something McCain does could bring the worst out of somebody. Which tells me that McCain is just a horrid, cold, insensitive person – McCain is just a rotten old piece of meat walking around.

5. bill

THIS IS JUST ANOTHER MCBUSH SICK AD CAINT TALK ABOUT ECONOMY IN TANK SICK OLD MAN WITH BARBIE DOLL IN SHEEPS CLOTHING

6. jfs Memhis, Tn

What would you call McCain with his desparate NEGATIVE ADS ????In actualiity his ambition and desire would seem MUCH stronger than Obama's . To the point that McCain is eratic and losing focus on what we the voters need.

7. Mikey

Does McCain have a moral obligation to try to reign in his supporters a little or at least not to incite them? At recent rallies, people has shouted "terrorist", "off with his head", "kill him", and even turned on a camera man and shouted racial slurs.

This is the guy who promised a high minded campaign? This is the guy who said in 2000, that campaigns rely on personal attacks when the do not have any ideas for our country? Is his campaign honorable? Can he be considered honorable any longer? Why would anyone vote for a ticket that behaved in this manner?

8. Brennan, Seattle WA

Don't know why it won't allow comments, but it is amazing in the story just before this one. McCain finally came up with a policy that made a little sense. Suspending the 70 1/2 forced withdrawl would be good and I think that President Obama should consider this(I am sure he will). It only took J Mc the entire campaign to come up with this. If you throw enough erratic ideas around eventually one makes sense. Congrats John, but that is not steady leadership.

Obama 08'

9. Mary

Desperate McCain will do anything to win. Putting country last

10. B. H. Atlanta, GA

Talking about calling the kettle black...
    John McCain friends to David Dukes(KKK), Strom Thrumond (Racist), and others in politics, and adulterer. American Hero.....Yeah Right
    Palin – Adulterer, abuser, unplanned pregnancy; 3 months before she got married, mildly educated (MILDLY).

Obama 08

11. AMERICAN

JOHN MCCAIN: "My friends I'm an insane old man with not much to offer the american people but more of the same as my buddy...ugh as George Bush...and my running mate is an empty headed pageant queen.....

SARAH PALIN: "Hey say it aint so Joe...uh John, Im a hockey mom"!

JOHN MCCAIN: "Look my friends we got nothing going on here...please listen to the nonsense and hatred we are spewing and vote for me".

SARAH PALIN: "Yea cause we're just two joe six pack Mavericks"!

12. Guy Kasweka from Toronto

Bye McCain

13. Throw Dirt & Mud From Behind a Skirt - Face-to Face ur as timid as a Flirt

McCain is ridiculous. Is he tryin to imply that sub-prime loans to minorities is what crashed this nation is garbage.The majority of Americans are not ethnic minorities..lol. Liberals are all of a sudden being blamed for deregulation – This comes after he just this year stated that he is for more de-regulation and his record in the senate is evidence of his stance.
    Over the last few days of the McCain scampaign we have seen them stir the pot of HATRED and ANGER. They seem oblivious to the potentially dangerous ramifications of their approach. When members of their audience are shouting 'kill him' and calling him a 'Terrorist' is just sad.The fact that McCain condones this shows that he has no HONOR nor INTEGRITY.

Americans don't forget.. McCain"s Lobbyists aren't paid to lobby him on any issue that benefits you. Some of them are even paid by foreign countries/enterprise and their appointment represents a conflict of interest.
    OBAMA aka 'That One' is our Lobbyist..Our Representative

Obama for Americans

14. rick

the republican "party" is over. let's move forward and govern like we are one country all Americans. we need smart "new" leadership. YES WE CAN !!!

Obama / Biden 08

15. KP

So let me get this, because someone I know now at 26, committed despicable acts when I was 8, somehow makes me an accomplice to their actions. At 8 – when Ayers did his dirt Obama was trying to find his way as a young boy in Hawaii. Fast forward 35+ years Ayers is now a professor at one of the BEST schools in America! If the University of Chicago and 95% of the nation can move forward why is McCain & Palin trying to make something out of nothing.

I will tell you why – THEY ARE SCARED OF THE REALITY. Obama WILL be the next president of the United States and they will do anything in they power to stop it, which sadly has become LYING, MISREPRESENTATION, and UTTER SWIFBOATING!!! SHAME ON YOU MCSAME & (pa)LYING, and ALL republicans out there who would rather LIE to win the White House than speak truthfully. TWICE BUSH LIED AND THE LAST 8 YEARS HAVE BEEN HELL – WAKE UP AMERICA!!!

16. Pete from OH

that spot is the dumbest so far: and what has Ayers to do with sub-prime loans and regulation anyway??? Mr McCain, it is truly time to go to the doctor and get your head examined!

October 10, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  17. King

When will McSenile understand that americans are tired and fed up of their fear tactics?? OBAMA 08

October 10, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  18. Dave

Obama said he didn't know Ayers initially. Then he says they met at a party, but the terrorist attacks occurred when Obama was 8 years old. Now we find out that Obama and Ayers worked together for extended periods of time (even though Ayers is an unrepentant terrorist), and that Obama wrote the preface for one of Ayers books. Facts speak louder that words, Senator Obama. (By the way, the liberal policies you have supported in the past are far different than what you are proposing currently).

October 10, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  19. AHMIowa

Gee – all I've seen from McCain lately is blind ambition – without any shred of dignity or honor, or consistency of viewpoint. He had his chance in 2000, and he was a different man then.

Sorry, sir, but your time is up. Go home! Or to one of your homes.

October 10, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  20. Dealt

Dear... The man is getting nuclear. McCain is really showing himself as a despicable character... Is this an old trait or just... blind ambition?

October 10, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  21. Rich from Philly

No policies, no ideas, no nothing except nasty venom–On the bright side, little Johnnie throwing his own slime–not being led around by the nose by Cindy

October 10, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  22. Judi in Minnesota

McCain/Palin-running scared
    Their strategy - try to discredit Obama...never mind if it's true or not.
    Run up one "idea" after another to make it look like they really know what to do ... never mind if it will work or not.

This strategy will not work. We are smarter than that.

October 10, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  23. DB

This is really a waste of time and money. No one is listening to this crap except for McCain's base. I'm 56 years old and I will be lucky if I can ever retire after what has happened in the market. Do you think I care about this kind of nonsense??? I will vote Democrat and so will everyone I know. We want and need change!

October 10, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  24. Sunni

Wow! How low the McCain/Palin ticket must stoop to win over voters with this nonsense! As a voter, I care about the issues concerning me, my family and our future....not this petty back and forth foolishness about something Ayers did some 40 years ago before I was even born! I care about the HERE and NOW....The future is what's at stake here...not the past!

October 10, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  25. roger

I am a Obama supporter but I sure see McCain & the republican party for what they really are....this election & remembering the last election with the swift boat ordeal against Kerry has open my eyes. The republican party is made up of a bunch of hypocrites, back stabbing, racist, who remind me of the American version of the Taliban.

October 10, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |