October 11th, 2008

Obama ad: 'Smears are all McCain has left'

Obama released a tough new response ad Friday.

Obama released a tough new response ad Friday.

Barack Obama’s campaign released a new ad late Friday in response to a hard-hitting spot from the Republican National Committee’s independent expenditure unit that focused on his relationships with Chicago figures like William Ayers and Bill Daley; the script follows. The campaign has not announced where the spot will be airing.

NARRATOR: John McCain admits if the election’s about the economy, he’s going to lose.

Now, as Americans lose their jobs and savings, McCain’s resorting to smears and false attacks

Barack Obama launched his first campaign here (a picture of a hotel flashes on screen), not in anyone’s living room

And Bill Daley? He was confirmed as Commerce Secretary and praised for his great work by none other than John McCain (a picture of the two men together appears.)

It’s clear, with no plan to fix our economy, smears are all McCain has left.

(Republicans have alleged that Obama launched his first campaign in Ayers’ living room – a charge the Illinois senator has denied.)

1. Tracy-Oakley

Those are the facts...i have yet to hear McCain present a coherent plan on the economy. McCain having to correct people at his rallies and talk them down from what his campaign has been saying about Obama reflects McCains lack of leadership. McCain is not running his campaign – the campaign is running him and that's how a McCain presidency would be ran; many different unconnected narratives with no true leadership in the White House.

October 11, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  2. Ken in NC

I sure would like to see their (our) money spent on more constructive things like the economy and our troops coming home. I have herd more than enough negative ads.

October 11, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  3. Joe Ikunna

As an independent, I am trully appalled by the tone of the McCain/Palin campaign. It shows that they have no intention of a united America which is what is required if we are to get ourselves out of this economic mess.

McCain's judgement is very questionable on a number of issues, moreso in his choice of sarah Palin as his running mate; and his intent to incite hate among radical GOP members. He had better centre his campaign on the issues, otherwise he will not only lose this election, but what is left of his already damaged integrity.

Obama on the other hand is clearly more focused on the issues and has proposed reasonably good and realistic economic policies. If he runs the country with the discipline and organised structure in which he has surprisngly run his campaign, making the right decisions; and reacting swiftly when required. His choice of Joe Biden could not have been better. It's not surprising these guys have a double digit lead in the polls, according to the last two gallup poll surveys. If they stick to the issues they are most likely to win by a landslide.

October 11, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  4. shawn - ga

I do not see smears, i see them trying to shine a light on the dark corners of Obama's past. The pst he has tried so hard to hide from the American people.

October 11, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  5. bibek

I am an ex-republican and I approve that message.

October 11, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  6. AZ Senior

Did I detect a glimpse of the old Sen. McCain yesterday, when he told his ranting constituants that Sen. Obama was a good man?
    How refreshing.

October 11, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  7. Independent: NOW FOR BARACK AND JOE

Republicans have gone too far. Not only are they responsible for this financial mess and the war, but they want to smear the other guy!

October 11, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  8. Rob

John McSame ought to be ashamed of himself. He is no longer the man he used to be. This campaign has changed him. As a former Republican, I am sorry to see this.

October 11, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  9. North Atlanta GA

The idea that John McCain has inherently bad judgment use to be more of a coincidence than anything else. But over the course of these last 3-4 weeks, I would say, without question, that John McCain has proven to be lacking in the judgment department. His inability to process, correctly, concerns me. His VP pick is one of many examples. His erratic behavior. He grandstands to score political points at any cost while insisting he puts country first. The lists go on and on. I used to mock him. But I have run out of bad things to say. Maybe the POW experience is catching up with him.

A concern citizen

October 11, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  10. Kurt

When McCain looks in the mirror,
    he sees the picture of Dorian Grey.

October 11, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  11. The Bu

And Senator Obama is totally, unequivocally correct in this fact. That's why I hope and pray that the American people can see beyond Senator McCain's idiotic attacks that have abosolutely NOTHING to do with what me, my friends, my family or my co-workers are dealing with.

October 11, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  12. A NC Voter for Obama

McCain - slams Obama one day, defends him the next - erratic behavior - ya think?

Palin - GUILTY as charged - sounds like the current Administration to me.

It's time for a change! Obama for America!

October 11, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  13. morning calm

Sen.Obama acts as Presential as I would and I only have a high school GED., which I received when I was 51 years old, which was in 1980!!!!!!!! THe disrepect he shows SenMcCain is BOLD and Brazen.

October 11, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  14. james

Um, isn't this a smear ad? Just saying...

October 11, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  15. Shannon

It true Mccain only has smears... Its sad really I used to have lots of respect for him because he was different. Not anymore. Hes just like Bush now!! Respecting other canidates was Mccains thing and he sure has thrownthat out and hurled some crap at Obama and it not going to stick. Americans aren't going to be fooled this time. I just saw some crazy white people on youtube at these Mccain Palin rallys. There not rallies there hate fests. Its sad, and sooo not american. These people need a talking to and Mccain should say this isn't why I fought for this great country. It was for equallity for all. I am just sickened by these people. Just sick. Oh by the way I am a white married mother of two, walmart mom voting for Obama. We need him for President. He will unity our country!
    Obama/Biden 08

October 11, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  16. deborah, WV

Way to fight back Obama!!!

If Obama/Biden run our country as well as they have ran this campaign, then we have a good chance of changing this economy and regaining our standing in the world!!

October 11, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  17. kent

With all their mudslinging, John and Sarah starting to look a little dirty themselves.

October 11, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  18. independent

GOOD JOB!

October 11, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  19. senja

Very apparent. Now we may have not only an ignorant V.P. , but a crooked ignorant VP. This election is a smear to our country.

October 11, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  20. Aaron from Ohio

Senator McCain's campaign is hurting. His rallies are looking like they are on the verge of becoming lynch mobs. They are full of angry people furious that he is losing to Senator Obama. When your supporters are shouting "Kill him", "Off with his head", Terrorist" and other incitements to violence when Obama's name is mentioned, it shows people out of control and irrational. It is the undecided voters who are looking at this and seeing the people who are for McCain acting crazy. This does not help John. His supporters need to realize that they are hurting his cause and whatever small chance he has left of turning his campaign around.

October 11, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  21. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Every time McCain puts out a round of smears, Obama gains a point in the polls.

Keep smearing Grumpy, and by all means get Caribou Barbie to step up the attacks before she goes to jail!

October 11, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  22. Megan

You're darn right all he has left is smears.

McCain and his supporters scare me. It's gone beyond anger, and into hate and racism.

Yeah, I said it. Racism. Don't believe me? Think I am playing the race card? I'm a 25 year old white woman. The second I heard a McCain supporter refer Obama as an 'Arab', I knew that things had officially turned the ugliest it could get.

Shame on you, McCain and Palin, for letting it get this far. Your supporters are so angry now, no amount of calling Obama 'decent' will calm them down.

I'm so disappointed in what you've become, Mr. McCain and Ms. Palin. Let's look at hope – and, ahem, ethics.

October 11, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  23. Molly

I lost my job yesterday. I was not alone. Now I am scrambling, trying to figure out what to do. The McCain/Palin campaign is an insult to me and other Americans like me, thinking that we would even care about these pathetic smears. Their hate mongering is bordering on dangerous, and is terribly irresponsible. Obama, all the way – the only SANE choice.

October 11, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  24. Liz

For many of us the financial security we have worked so hard for has evaporated in the last few months. McCain does not have to instill fear in us–the economy has already done that. If a politician runs a dishonest and unethical campaign we have a pretty good idea of how he will govern. Thanks, but no thanks to McCain/Palin.

October 11, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  25. go away mongers- Ventura,CA

Considering McSAME's views on the policies, that's all he had froom the beginning.

October 11, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |