October 11th, 2008

Obama thanks McCain for efforts to 'tone down rhetoric'

Obama thanked McCain for his Friday comments.

Obama thanked McCain for his Friday comments.

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (CNN) - During his four-stop swing around the city of Philadelphia Saturday morning, Barack Obama acknowledged John McCain's efforts to "tone down the rhetoric" on the campaign trail.

"I appreciated his reminder that we can disagree while still being respectful of each other. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Senator McCain has served this country with honor, and he deserves our thanks for that," Obama told a north Philadelphia crowd, to a mix of heavy boos and cheers.

Earlier: 'Don't be scared' of Obama presidency, McCain tells supporters

At an event Friday in Minnesota McCain referred to Obama as a "decent person," and praised him as a "family man" after two voters expressed fear over Obama being elected.

Obama, however, quickly dispensed with polite talk Saturday, and pivoted to his main campaign trail argument: that McCain is out of touch on the economy.

"Senator McCain's campaign manager actually said that Senator McCain wasn't talking about the market because there's just not much a candidate for President can say - and they aren't sure what he'd say each day even if he did talk about it," Obama said.

"But here's the thing Philadelphia. They can run misleading ads, and pursue the politics of anything goes, they can try to change the subject. They can do that what they want to do because the American people understand what's going on - but it's not going to work. Not this time."

1. Ohioan

I suppose all politicians are ambitious, but–more than most–Palin is willing to use slander, libel, emotional manipulation, and hate-speech to energize the base. What a contrast to Sen. Obama, who has remained respectful and even generous toward McCain / Palin, even as as they spew their nonsense.

Ambition and rank desperation do not become you, Gov. Barracuda.

October 11, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  2. K-Kid

Senator is a great man! Senator Obama is a patriot! Senator Obama cares about all Americans and will work hard on their behalf! FDR came long when the country needed him. JFK gave the country the vision and desire to do better. Jimmy Carter made peace in the Middle East. Bill Clinton was able to put the economy and government spending on the right track. And Barack Obama will also steer this country to greatness!!!

October 11, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  3. Simmy

NOT THIS TIME. A NEW DAY. A NEW CENTURY. A NEW AMERICA. A HOPEFUL AMERICA. A READY FOR CHANGE AMERICA!
    THERE IS NO MODERATION NEEDED FOR THIS COMMENT.

October 11, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  4. susie

Did Obama's camp plant these hateful people at McCain's rally?

October 11, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  5. Isabel

I hope you have a very large family because my entire family is voting for McCain. Just because Obama supporters are more vocal does not mean there are more of them.

October 11, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  6. Isiah - LB, CA

"My 14 year old granddaughter told me that 'I couldn't trust Obama'.. She has that feeling 'in her gut'. (I won't repeat the poster's name)

Taking advice from a 14 yo? Are you kidding me?? I have a 14yo!!

Unfortunately too many Americans use instincts like this in their decision on who to vote for on November 4th. This election is too important, our country and fellow American are too precious and our economy is sinking for your vote to be based on the gut feeling of a 14 yo, etc ....

October 11, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  7. McCain is grasping

My goodness he changes his mood as frequently as his policies. I think the Secret Service told him to button up the hate mongering.. it is just too evil for words and makes their jobs hell.
    McCain is in a bottomless pit and is grasping at anything to get out.. good luck gramps.. you shot yourself in the foot on this one!!

October 11, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  8. TexasVet

Hey Dorothy,

You or whomever your grand daughter is being exposed to have put that GUT feeling in your grand daughter. Bias, and prejudice are LEARNED behaviors. You must be so proud!

Obama/Biden 08

October 11, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  9. trying to be reasonable in West Virginia

Enough with ANYTHING even resembling hate!! . . . Live by the sword, die by the sword.

McCain and Palin had better be very careful. And for two reasons:
    1) The immediate (and increasingly likely) risk is that they will alienate reasonable persons, those undecided and/or independents they cannot win without . . .
    2) If they actually DO win the election, they will experience an ENORMOUS backlash from an even-more polarized opposition. Governing will be extremely difficult, and this precisely at the time we need good government more than ever.

One might well say that Obama can afford to be (mostly!) gracious. Perhaps, but beside the point. One thing is for sure, it isn't Obama who's pushing the negativity button more than his opponents.

October 11, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  10. Charla

I want to thank Senator McCain. He ads made me do my on research
    Frankly I still have more question than answers about Senator Obama.
    Senator Obama statements keep changing and have for the last 2yrs.
    I have still not come to the conclusion of what I believe. There is one
    issue I find concerning Senator Obama did not stop his ear marks
    until he decided to run for President? He has never (that I can find) stated or shown any positive contribution that he changed as a community organizer. So I guess you would say I still do not know
    who I will vote for???????

October 11, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  11. Bea

Both of – Sen.McCain and Sen. Obama should take their energy to what's good for America and it's People. Don't bring in old potatoes of the past. I was born in Germany (makes me closer to Sen. McCain) during World War II. Can you (any of you) blame me for what the sorry governmet did? I do not think so.

October 11, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  12. Craig

What is with you people? There is nothing wrong with people respecting each other. Americans need to concentrate on the issues that Obama has put on the table for us. Not giving him a bad wrap for giving someone else a little credit. It's behavior like this that makes me wonder if we are becoming like other nations that behave like animals. You can give respect and still address the negatives regarding McCain.

October 11, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  13. Obama Now More Than NEVER

Enough said

October 11, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  14. Jr

CNN PLEASE STOP PUT ON ME HOLDING MODERATION THANKS..

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    Obama is REAL leadership in the world, London WANT Obama to win in the white house

That One nation

October 11, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  15. aliou FL John Mckeating five

Senator,

Keating five doctrine of intimidation, deregulation followed to date by mcain and bill gramm put us into this mess. when are you going to talk about that in no uncertain terms?

October 11, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  16. Jimmy

Go Obama, go! You have enough american support to send you and your family to the white house where you will have a chance to make the changes America needs to move forward. We all love you an support you 100%.

Keep the fight. It;s past time on having a democrat run the country.

October 11, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  17. David Buther

Given the financial distress will Barack Obama have to wait to implement his reparations plan?

October 11, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  18. Obama for me

Obama gets my vote because he always takes the high road. McCain offers nothing but cheap shots.
    McCain is out of
    TIMES
    IDEAS
    TOUCH
    HONOR
    We need to move forward with a new direction into this complex world.
    Obama/Biden 08 12

October 11, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  19. George

John McCain could not bring himself to say that Obama is an American. He could not say that Obama is a christian.

Is it so difficult to say ?

Is it any more difficult to say those words than it is to say "decent person" ?

There is nothing to thank or praise McCain for. He is weak of character and lacking in ethics.

October 11, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  20. Mark Louisiana

Why are LIBERALS like OBAMA so hateful and racist?

October 11, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  21. joel halpern

Bless any effort to bring peace to this world. No matter where it comes from.

October 11, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  22. Amy

Perhaps McCain is beginning to realize how sick and twisted his campaign has become, and now he has a change in heart. I believe that he knows deep down inside he has lost this election, and in order to save face he is trying to calm his lynch-mob supporters down before a racial riot starts and he is personally held responsible for it. Although I strongly disagree with McCain's political views, I do believe he is a good man who got severely misguided by his campaign contributors, who all happen to be idiots!

McCain also made a very bad choice for his VP, and I believe deep down inside he now knows this. Sarah cannot keep her mouth shut! She's the one who instigated the racial tensions, the terrorists comments, the hate-filled rallies, not McCain. Not to mention the fact that she absolutely knows NOTHING about being the VP, or worse yet, the President of the United States! McCain will lose this election because of Sarah Palin, no doubt about it!

I'm also glad that Obama is showing the maturity and grace and is stopping some of the mudslinging as well. He will be a wonderful President!

Obama/ Biden 2008!!!

October 11, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  23. PK

You Obama voters are going to get change alright if he is elected. It is going to be interesting listening to the aftermath of the Obama voters down the road.

October 11, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  24. 1405081

yeah boy

October 11, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  25. Patrick, Fairfield, CA

It is good to see that there is some resemblance of decency in McCain’s body. He should be applauded for calming the angry crowd at his rally in Minnesota. Barack did well to acknowledge McCain’s efforts. That, I would say, was very presidential.

October 11, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |