October 11th, 2008

Obama thanks McCain for efforts to 'tone down rhetoric'

Obama thanked McCain for his Friday comments.

Obama thanked McCain for his Friday comments.

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (CNN) - During his four-stop swing around the city of Philadelphia Saturday morning, Barack Obama acknowledged John McCain's efforts to "tone down the rhetoric" on the campaign trail.

"I appreciated his reminder that we can disagree while still being respectful of each other. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Senator McCain has served this country with honor, and he deserves our thanks for that," Obama told a north Philadelphia crowd, to a mix of heavy boos and cheers.

Earlier: 'Don't be scared' of Obama presidency, McCain tells supporters

At an event Friday in Minnesota McCain referred to Obama as a "decent person," and praised him as a "family man" after two voters expressed fear over Obama being elected.

Obama, however, quickly dispensed with polite talk Saturday, and pivoted to his main campaign trail argument: that McCain is out of touch on the economy.

"Senator McCain's campaign manager actually said that Senator McCain wasn't talking about the market because there's just not much a candidate for President can say - and they aren't sure what he'd say each day even if he did talk about it," Obama said.

"But here's the thing Philadelphia. They can run misleading ads, and pursue the politics of anything goes, they can try to change the subject. They can do that what they want to do because the American people understand what's going on - but it's not going to work. Not this time."

1. jn

PK...We will be jumping for joy!!!!!!!

October 11, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  2. Johanna

Day after day I appreciate Sen. Obama even more.

October 11, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  3. Vic

Early voting is the way to go.

Registered Republican voted Obama/Biden 08

October 11, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  4. Christine V.

The boat is sinking! the old method is nolonger working!
    You cannot stop the future nor can you stop progress. That progress is Obama. Many of you expressed rage and fear….please …You neocons are so set in your ways that you cant even recognized that its those OLD ways thats leading this country to destruction. Step aside and let the rational people lead this country for a better future! GET OVER IT MCCAIN WILL LOSE!

October 11, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  5. Nathaniel

I think that someone neds to speak to Palin. She needs to be brought under control. To hear the kind of hate she whips up is scary and she is behaving most un-american.

October 11, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  6. bob

Odd, I saw Obama deliver that line this morning and didn't hear even one boo...they were very obvious at McCain's town hall last night....

Another case of the media distorting the story greatly by trying for balance....

October 11, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  7. White Christian Mother for Obama

Although I am voting for Obama.. and this MAY or May NOT be just a ploy of McCains... I do RESPECT the fact that he Actually said something about it and kept his Stand on it. It makes me RESPECT McCain more than I have. I used to have SOME respect for him until his campaign and how he ran it and all the lies. But now that he has Told his Supporters we must Respect the other guy regardless of our Fundamental Differences and that is the way a Campaign is supposed to run... I have GAINED some of that LOSS RESPECT for HIM.

October 11, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  8. Magic

Obama explain your involvement with Acorn?

October 11, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  9. Linda, NC

Sarah Palin is not qualified to hold any high office. She is even not worthy of going back to her Governer role either.
    For Republicans it is now not just the policies but the quality of leader that they are going to entrust the future of America. Even if there is one ounce of patriotism in people still supporting McCain/Palin they need to think again.

October 11, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  10. Fart

Lord, the hot air stinks in here!

October 11, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  11. aliou FL John Mckeating five

Let's make this short people. McBush, It's over. when are you going to concede? and don't come asking us to pay for your debts. because you knew it was over since you started going negative. IF you have to sell your soul to win an election, then, you know deep down of you, if you have any guts, that it's over men.

Throw in the towel big mac. When you selected paling knowing full well that todd palin was the governor, a high school drop out, in a state as populated as one little side of manhattan, you knew you have put you first, not country first.

When Obama chose Joe Biden, rather than Tom Cain or other smart men/women, that the democratic and republican or independents abound, I knew he had put country first.

Let me put to you the difference between these two VP clearly.

Palin governs by proxy. SHe can't take a decision without consulting Todd, because he is the half brian between them. but the best of the two. That;s still a high school drop out brain.

He sits in governor meetings without being officially appointed. And I don't know about you but I would have allowed anyone to sit in while I am having a meeting with a governor if I knew this person is not elected or appointed or even employed officially to be there.

So not only couldn't she be trusted to say the things that her husband told her to say, he didn't trust her to make a judgement of a situation herself, in a meeting and say the appropriate thing. that is what we have seen on the campaign trail: a not so worthy huckey mum thrown out into the professional league, to be player, judge, referee, and coach at the same time to Mccain. That is why she find herself defending not big mac, but herself all the time, and doing it very poorly.

I would have felt sorry for her, but she chose to accept the position knowing that Todd, not her, was the governor.

October 11, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  12. clarence jonesville

dorothy people like you and palin has gotten mccain in the shape he's in with his campain.He was doing find until he got that no brainer palin on board and people like you encouraging him to do this degrading politics which has back fired on him.Now he will be remembered as a dirty old senator,all his past accomplishments will not be remembered because of people like you and palin,(small shallow minded people)

October 11, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  13. M. S Redmond WA

If something bad happens to Obama, I mean a physical attack, McCain and Palin should be held criminally responsible, tried in Federal court for murder for insiting violence against Obama by encouraging the"kill him" by the crowd of psychopaths racist followers of them.

They have been pushing for violence against Obama.

McCain and Palin are desperate with nothing good to offer this country.

October 11, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  14. Truth 08

McCain has no plan for the future of America, so when you have no plan you rely on fear and smut.. only smoke and mirrors..diversions... kinda like if your trying to save your house from a fire someone saying....

" Do you realize how high you water bill is going to be!?!?! ?"

I'll pray for you McCain...

That one/Biden 08

October 11, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  15. Tom

For Once I would just Like obama to tell us what he will do to fix something instead of all the empty rhetoric of how out of touch everyone else is. if he has the magic formula he is certanily keeping it secret and to me that is not the CHANGE that America needs.

October 11, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  16. Obama Presidency=World Terrorist Party

I'll bring the berr.

October 11, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  17. Tim

Go Obama, we are countime on you

October 11, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  18. Mark, B'ham., Al.

Obama is nice to you in your face, but he is from Chicago Politics where his pals will stab you in the back and twist the knife while they are at it. To all you Obama fans if you think European Socialism/a Wefare State is the answer for America, than go to Europe or Venezula. I want to keep my hard earned money, my religion, my guns, take care of my family, and take responsiblity for my actions as our fore fathers dreamed of for this nation.

October 11, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  19. Loosing it

Guys I was just watching CNN today in reviewing the week. I saw Gov Sarah's rally...She said Bill Ayers about 4 times....Who is Bill Ayers? I know william Ayers in Chicago University. I need everyone to go and look at the video on cnn " Bill Ayers" if you trying to make a negative comment get it right.

October 11, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  20. Mary San Diego

Too little too late, John Mcshame! He has no honor and dignity left. All he has is a whole bunch of racist uneducated white people voting for him. It makes me sick in the guts to know there are a lot of those people out there in the US.

Please everyone, we gotta vote for Obama and send a message to those racist mcshame/palin supporters that their votes will not be enough to drown out the votes of the people who are disgusted by their behaviors.

October 11, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  21. imani Gridiron

Since the beginning of this campaign, the media has been referring to Senator Obama as the first African American candidate, when he is really the first bi-ethnic candidate. It seems like many are trying to emphasize his African heritage and play down his European heritage?

October 11, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  22. Connie

Go, Barack! You are our last best hope!

October 11, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  23. Patrick, Fairfield, CA

There are those from the right who will chastise my comments, but it is clear, by all accounts, that this country is getting ready for an Obama Administration. Don't draw a conclusion based on what you read in this forum or other CNN media venues. Look at Real-Clear-Politics, POTUS, politico, MSNBC, even FOX.

Listen to John McCain himself. He knows that his task is daunting right now. Obama is beating him at his own game with regards to foreign policy and is dominating him on the economy.

The only Bradley Effect that is in play is the fact that Obama does not have a 20 point lead in the polls.

Obama supporters will remain humble, but the Democratic candidate I believe has cleared the last hurdle in his surge towards the White House and McCain knows it.

October 11, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  24. Diana Ewing NJ

I don't know why McCain tried to tone down and quiet his following.... but this is the John McCain I remember. This was the man I could have voted for in 2000. I hope he remains the rest of the campaign, he will pick up votes if he does.

October 11, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  25. Jason

Agreed. This campaign has gotten out of control. McCain rallies are looking more and more like Hitler rallies. I'm glad he FINALLY stepped in to control the crowd. It only took him 3 days. If he wants to win he should win the way Obama is winnning. By relating to the people and talking about the issues. However, to this point McCain has not brought forward any real ideas to fix our country. That's why he's losing.

October 11, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |