October 11th, 2008

Obama thanks McCain for efforts to 'tone down rhetoric'

Obama thanked McCain for his Friday comments.

Obama thanked McCain for his Friday comments.

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (CNN) - During his four-stop swing around the city of Philadelphia Saturday morning, Barack Obama acknowledged John McCain's efforts to "tone down the rhetoric" on the campaign trail.

"I appreciated his reminder that we can disagree while still being respectful of each other. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Senator McCain has served this country with honor, and he deserves our thanks for that," Obama told a north Philadelphia crowd, to a mix of heavy boos and cheers.

Earlier: 'Don't be scared' of Obama presidency, McCain tells supporters

At an event Friday in Minnesota McCain referred to Obama as a "decent person," and praised him as a "family man" after two voters expressed fear over Obama being elected.

Obama, however, quickly dispensed with polite talk Saturday, and pivoted to his main campaign trail argument: that McCain is out of touch on the economy.

"Senator McCain's campaign manager actually said that Senator McCain wasn't talking about the market because there's just not much a candidate for President can say - and they aren't sure what he'd say each day even if he did talk about it," Obama said.

"But here's the thing Philadelphia. They can run misleading ads, and pursue the politics of anything goes, they can try to change the subject. They can do that what they want to do because the American people understand what's going on - but it's not going to work. Not this time."

1. CindyN--PA

Senator Obama, you make me proud to vote for you.
    I am happy to cast my vote for you. In my opinion you are the better Candidate and the true leader in this race.
    Stay above the Frey.

Obama/Biden 2008**** We will have a great leader when you take office. Resorte this country to the America that we all believe in.

October 11, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  2. Michelle/colorado

As you can all see McCain keeps changing his mind about Barack..I don't think he knows if his coming or going anymore...Can't talk about what he's going to do for the country so now he has to speak about how great Obama is ...I guess he's finally seeing the light at the end of the road...

Go Barck/Joe (08)

October 11, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  3. Leo Hussein Smith - TX

Jessica,he had a chance but he chose the low road, and a low life.

October 11, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  4. Noel from Maryland

janie wilson i read your comments it's cruel what people will do to your grandson, don't take that crap laying down, fight for your grandson's right to fair treatment.

McCain only changed his tune because the Secret Service warned that the crazy so-called religious repubs were making more threats towards him and his family – how sick is that. We hate those who (Islamic Extremists) hate us because we are Americans and then we turn around and preach the same hatred! They continue to question Obama's intergrity and by saying "Who is the Real Barack Obama"? My God he has been campaigning for 2 years and now all they can use are smear tactics. Palin is dirty in a proven ETHICAL WAY and McCain is connected to Iran Contra but Obama has to prove that he is more AMERICAN then them? Citizens of this great country wake up – Obama is a guy who is running for President who happens to be black – come on American we should be ashamed that we see color and stop there and don't listen to the issues! Obama has proven to me that he is very Presidential – keep going Barack & Joe – I hope you win!

October 11, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  5. Republicans Have Brains

Dumocrats are just plain dumb

October 11, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  6. an EYE FOR an EYE

M. S Redmond WA October 11th, 2008 2:35 pm ET

If something bad happens to Obama, I mean a physical attack, McCain and Palin should be held criminally responsible, tried in Federal court for murder for insiting violence against Obama by encouraging the"kill him" by the crowd of psychopaths racist followers of them.

They have been pushing for violence against Obama.

McCain and Palin are desperate with nothing good to offer this country.

No man, Americans should be prepared to protect Obama by any means possible. They should also be prepared to erase the entire tribe of anyone who attempts to attack senator Obama by any means. That's what this all means.

Dr. Martin Lutter King Jr. Had a nice little holiday during which we all go home fishing or barbecueing and wait for the next work day.

And that is ok with many people. A dead heroe, celebrated all over the UNITED States, is all that this country deserves, instead of the change that MLK promised to all of us Americans, black, white, orange, or blue.

John F. KENNEDY was also crucified for us and we accepted the death penalty, the crucifiction of these decent family men, our heroes, who left children and wife, to fend for themselves, while we celebrate their holiday, without a thought to them.

we all missed them when we think about the changes they would have brought to our country. No men, this time, it is different. we the american people don't want any more dead heroes.

we want Obama alive and breading his special breed of american, right here in this Godly country of ours, the next generation of Obamas and Tom Cains, and Bill clintons. The next generations of MLKs and KennedYs, not dead ones.

Don't even try. No one should even try, because any such try will mean suicide for many in this country, if they have to die saving Obama, or claiming the soul you took from our leader into that meager existence of yours and that of anyone who incited you to act.

No this time, no golden prison for anyone who tried to take the best thing america ever gave to this world. and this I don't think many americans realize it yet. But they should have known when they saw that crowd in Germany, that this president is not going to be just an american president. The world have already adopted his leadership. and that my fellow americans, is worth dying for.

October 11, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  7. Joseph

Amount of fearmongering,incitement and hatred generated by election this year very detrimental for democracy and future of this country .Pundits need to take their responsibility for their retoric.What do they want revolution ,miseries for people ?Or they need improvement?

October 11, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  8. Barbara, NY

Thank God Sarah Palin won't have to put up with an idiot like McCain when she runs for President in 2012.

McCain refuses to take the gloves off against Obama and as a result McCain will be back in the Senate again. What a loser he is.

Meanwhile 100,000 are coming out to see Sarah Palin in Virginia on Monday. This is even bigger than the 60,000 that came out to see her in Orlando. McCain could never draw crowds like that.

October 11, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  9. Ivy NYC

What's the matter, Hank? Is "psychologist" too big a word for you? Do you just hate anyone who has far more education than you do? Are educated people scary to you, Hank? Do they know more, do they understand more of how the world works? Is it really that jarring that the world doesn't work in black-and-white?

Neo-con motto: If I don't understand it, it scares me. And when I get scared, I get angry. And when I'm angry, I hate the thing that scares me. And when I hate, I...

You fill in the rest.

October 11, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  10. Allison Branch

A panel of 10 Republicans and 4 Democrats just found that Sarah Palin abused her power. I need you to remember, that Palin said in the debate, when elected as vice president, she would seek to expand the power of the Office of Vice President of the United States.
    Does that mean change the Constitution? She is obviously a power hungry, driven, person.

October 11, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  11. Dori in AZ

Hey, Margi! You called it – a snake! All kinds of snakes out there. Some very helpful. Some dangerous to us. In Arizona, we have rattlers, and one in particular that we work to avoid: the Mojave green.

Most rattlers will go their own way, given the opportunity, but a Mojave green will make chase. Very aggressive, it is also the most venomous of the rattlers. Mojave green bites get complicated quickly. These snakes blend easily with the Arizona brush & rocks. So, you can be within striking distance of a Mojave green before realizing it, & find it difficult, if not impossible, to safely back away.

Consider McCain a Mohave green....

October 11, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  12. pam

It's really a sad day in America when two candidates for the highest offices in the United States have serious known ethics violations and hold their heads up without shame. McCain should never have been a candidate because of his Keeting meddling and evidenced through several documents and testamony. Palin definitely shouldn't have become anyone's running mate because of her investigation and now ruling of abuse of power as the Governor of Alaska. Wow, can you believe that voting Americans are willing to say that it doesn't matter. What has America come to? Are we now saying that we shouldn't obey our laws, guidelines or moral authority?

October 11, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  13. This is an ONN Special Report

NC will indeed remain red in 08

October 11, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  14. Ayanna

Obama/Biden '08

Rednecks get ready to eat your heart out

October 11, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  15. CindyN--PA

One more thing to say. For the poeple on here, saying stop the nonsense that it's getting to you. Consider that no one is forcing you to be on here reading or posting comments. If it's getting to much for you, then simply log off.
    Not real hard to accomplish, when something is bothering you.

October 11, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  16. ba-Rock says

I'm glad that Obama took the high road on this and it is about time mccain finally stood up for what is right even though he has been the author of this nonsense. As a Evangelical Christian who supports Obama I cannot stand to see the nonsense that McCain has been allowing at these neo-klan rally's. Being a Christian is not just in name bruh! it is in action. If the way Barack has been running his campaign is an indicator he is a whole lot more Christian than these Pharisee's showing up at McCain's rally's.

Obama/Biden 08

October 11, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  17. ANABA ANTHONY

Yes be respectful my friend Obama, and be careful with McCain because i believe he has a plan B for saying this. But be warn all McCain supporters and McCain, if anything crazy happen to our next President (OBAMA) God forbid, it will mean the end of our empire. So let be reasonable and not allow any thing stupid ok

October 11, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  18. PUMA 4 HILL

The truth hurts... you can run, you can deny until the cows come home...
    but the truth will prevail and linger.

Obama is a creep, a loser, a liar. It started a long time ago when he decided to teach the ACORN recruits how to "steal and cheat" to plant the seeds for his nomination in 2008.

He's simply not qualified and he's too dangerous and shady to lead this great country. His antics are not wanted in this country.. go away.

October 11, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  19. Angie

McCain is a clear racist and it is evident and an angry man who cannot digest the fact that he is not as verse on the economy as Sen. Obama is and as for Palin, she is a hugh mistake, unaware, uninformed and an abuser of pwer and those are the facts.

October 11, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  20. MaryanneAZ

Obama has both the character and integrity to lead this Nation as President of the U.S. I trust him to work hard to carry out his plans as set forth in his website. Obama has remained consistent over the entire course of this election cycle. His positions are the same as those laid out in his books written in 2006. I want consistent, reasonable, pragmatic, intelligent, articulate and grounded in my next President. Obama/Biden '08

October 11, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  21. McCain/Palin '08

Socialism - OH PLEASE, GIVE ME A BREAK! The Rethuglicans are happy to have their hands out for the BAILOUT, but they call helping people pay medical bills socialism. HA! Give me a break.....

True Colors == Rethuglicans

October 11, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  22. chris

EVERYONE GET OUT AND VOTEEEEEE...what a great man

OBAMA/BIDEN

October 11, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  23. Dan

You people are unreal. Tone down the political smears?..what..this is the most important election ever(so far). I don't consider it a smear when what your saying is true. Obama is thanking which ever god he prays too about this econmic crisis. It has taken away all attention from his corrupt and terrosit ties and his hardcore liberal stances on just about everything.

The media (including CNN) really needs to stop being lap dogs and start being watch dogs. What happened to the 4th branch of government? You can't watch any news network without immediatly knowing who they want to win. (This includes Fox people)

October 11, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  24. NMBT - Midwest

I was all for Hillary and swore up and down that I would not vote for Barack Obama if he got the nominiation. I was determined that I would vote for McCain because of his "experience" I admit that I have eaten my words. With JM choosing Sara Palin to try to get the Hillary votes was insulting. Sara Palin does not even come close to Hillary. As I have watched the ads I have become increasingly disgusted with John McCain and Sara Palin. As of yesterday I filled out my absentee ballot – I won't tell you who I voted fore, but I can tell you who I DID NOT vote for – John McCain/Sara Palin!

October 11, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  25. cecil

A HISTORIC TICKET....

Now that Sarah Palin has been found to have abused her powers, violated state ethics, and lied about it, I did a little digging and found an interesting historical footnote.

The McCain/Palin ticket is the first in American history in which both candidates were found to have violated ethics standards before a national election.

McCain, of course, was admonished by Senate Ethics Committee "for exercising 'poor judgment' for intervening" with federal regulators on behalf of Charles Keating, as part of the infamous Keating Five scandal.

And now McCain's running mate has also been found to have violated state ethics laws and abused the powers of her office, as part of the "Troopergate" scandal.

The nation has had 102 major-party tickets covering 51 presidential elections over more than two centuries. And we've never had a ticket in which both candidates on the same ticket were responsible for ethics violations before a national election. McCain/Palin is the first.

It makes the whole "reform" pitch a little more difficult, doesn't it?

October 11, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |