October 13th, 2008

McCain aide: 'Turnaround' starts today

Sen. John McCain is expected to deliver a speech on the state of the election and the economy, an aide says.

(CNN) - Sen. John McCain on Monday is delivering a new speech that a senior aide says he thinks "will begin a turnaround for the campaign" as Election Day approaches.

"Sen. McCain will offer a frank assessment of the state of the election and the state of affairs for our country.

"The theme is the new direction that Sen. McCain will take the country through his specific plans for creating jobs, helping those nearing retirement, keeping people in their homes and curbing spending," the aide said.

McCain's speech comes the same day that Democratic candidate Barack Obama is laying out his economic rescue plan for the middle class.

The Republican presidential candidate will "speak directly to people's fears and worries about the state of our economy and the other challenges we face," the aide said.

McCain will also lay out what he sees as the differences between himself and Obama on experience, judgment and courage in the face of a national crisis, according to the aide.

McCain surrogate Lindsey Graham said Sunday that the Republican nominee would unveil new proposals to "jump-start the nation's economy" over the final weeks of the presidential campaign, but the aide said there would be no new proposals on Monday.

McCain has events scheduled in Virginia Beach, Virginia, and Wilmington, North Carolina, on Monday.

There are just 22 days left until the election, and according to CNN's most recent poll of polls, Obama leads McCain by 8 percentage points, 49 to 41 percent.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Musicpromo Ca

You have been running for over a year and your gonna turn it around with 3 weeks to go?

1st your running mate get Booed off the ice what start

Buy the way WAY TO GO FLYERS FANS! You didn't fall for the charade from the Flyers owner Ed Snyder that she is just a hockey mom. This was an open campaign stop, staged by a guy who is actively supporting the McCain/MILF 08 ticket.

Whatever he does in his private life is fine, and to be comended, but to force her on the paying fans was a disgrace.

And, a side note, this was I believe the first actual non-scripted appearance that she has made. Quite a different reaction when it isn't a packed home crowd.

This story got national recognition. I did read in another publication that Palin's handlers knew it might turn out bad for her, so they decided to have Willow and Piper come along. Surely, Philadelphia sports fans wouldn't boo their mom infront of her little girls, right? Another McCain miscalculation.

October 13, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  2. Mccain 08

Obama is a show, in my opinion he only wants in the white house to make history. It would be a big step up...dont beleive it then why does have the big celebs like Oprah backing him? Its a show and he wants to be in charge so he will get all the praise from the african american community. He is half white though 🙂

October 13, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  3. Darryl

I contacted over 200 American Legion members to over the weekend and I spoke on average 5 to 15 minutes what I found out only 8% says that they are planing to vote for McCain. The other 92% said that they feel that Senator Obama supported the troops in good time and bad.. However, McCain have not really supported the Vets nor the Active duty personnel.

Why don't Senator McCain Support our troops?

October 13, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  4. JohnGalt

McCain's turnaround will happen at McDonald's as Palin takes the first bite from the new McMaverick Burger made up of those unknown meats 70% of Americans won't eat.

October 13, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  5. John McCain HAS LOST ALL HONOR

It's about time. I guess John McCain is starting to get the message the "Old politics of the late 50s and 60s are NOT as effective today.
    Which points to another example of how John McCain is OUT OF TOUCH. John McCain WAS once a man that honored and repected NOW I am disgusted with him. This man is no "Maverick". Maverick always take the "high" road and beat their opponent "fair and square" not "dirty, under-handedly, dis-honestly. John McCain should be ashamed of himself.

October 13, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  6. Greg Pottstown, Pa.

Still no mention of acorn or voter fraud in OH. If people only knew!!!!!!

October 13, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  7. Marylou

A wise person once told me.."you can NOT TALK your way out of a situation you have ACTED yourself into."..in other words, ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS..and McCain-Palin are acting erratic, confused and almost to the point of hysterical. The American people are too smart to believe that SUDDENLY they have seen the light, and now have a plan for America's future.

October 13, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  8. You Can Run But You Can Not Hide!

"The Cosmos & MCCAIN Rocks!!" I have a white hood in the boot of my car, I guess you'll need it!

October 13, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  9. John in Ohio

This just in: McCain pledges to turn his campaign around 360 degrees and get back on the right track!

October 13, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  10. LT for Obama

I am still trying to figure out where he gets the impression that Obama thinks he has this thing in the bag, that he is measuring the drapes in the white house. As I see it, Obama still treats this like he is the underdog and those of us that support him need to do the same.

Phantom of the Oprah – If you seriously think that racism has not reared its ugly head, then you really need to check the media coverage of some of McCain's rallies, especially of those in line waiting to get in who have called Obama all kinds of racial slurs. One guy over the weekend showed up with a monkey that had an Obama sticker on it and he made some horrible comments about Obama. I would suggest you wake up and realize what is really going on.

October 13, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  11. pat C.

mccains only hope is to send his pig with lipstick home to alaska and start over. watching her speech yesterday and then watching hillary and joe was sad to me. poor mccain has a 5th grader speaking about good guys vrses bad guys and they are the two that know the difference while hillary and joe spoke of our future and what obama was going to do to get our nation back on her feet. palins was sickning and hillary and joes made tears come to my eyes. they were almost spiritual.
    mccain should step aside for the sake of the american people. it's over johnny boy yes sir re!!

October 13, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  12. Allen in Hartwell, GA

"The Republican presidential candidate will "speak directly to people's fears""

Now that's an understatement. He's been playing on people's fears since he started.

October 13, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  13. AmeriKa the beautiful for Obamanation

John... you have the same problem that Hillary had- you can NOT attack the half black candidate in any way or you will be accused of racism.

HE, on the other hand can be guilty of fraud, deception, flip-flops, dubious connections and can even race-bait freely without any criticism of his tactics.

The media is not being objective. Hillary was mocked, heckeled, jeered and trashed and no one said anything. Palin is being trashed and no one denounces it.

But Obama can not be criticized nor lampooned nor caricatured or it will be denounced as hateful divisive racism.

Welcome to the NEW world. The Amerika we have been waiting for.

October 13, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  14. Thebe

It's too late, baby, now it's too late!

October 13, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  15. chuck

I have my absentee ballot right in front of me now.

Thanks, Mr. McCain, for convincing me to mark the "Obama" bubble!

October 13, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  16. lil

Mccain and palin scares me I dont think the have America's best
    interest at heart but their own interest. From what I have seen and heard from them it all about deviding this country not uniting it.
    To much nasty campaigning now I just dont want to hear anything
    else from them and I dont want to see another one of their sicken
    commerical.
    I dont trust either one of these people and I want vote for them either.
    No way no how!!!!

October 13, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  17. mitch

in the words of any teenagers, "whatever".

October 13, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  18. Lu

Yes, McCain's turnaround starts today, right after Obama outlines his new economic plan. The McCain can steal it and say it is is own....what a joke....

Obama '08

October 13, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  19. Jorge

How does McCain expect to whip Barack's donkey this time around when he has already failed miserably in the previous two outings?

Didn't he say much the same thing last time around when he said the gloves were coming off?

October 13, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  20. Andy

So I understand that Senator McCain knows the following:

1. He knows how to win a war.
    2. He knows how to fix the economy.
    3. He knows where Bin Laden is.
    4. He knows how to get Bin Laden.

There have been others, but they escape me right now.

He seems to "know" how to do all of these things and yet hasn't done a one of them while he was in Washington for the eternity that he has been there. It would seem to me that if he was a "Maverick" then he would have stood up and accomplished the above. I would almost think it is worse that he has done nothing but push for war, war, and more war.

He's old and tired. I guess we can forgive him for being tired and not thinking clearly. Come on John McCain, if you really want to do what's best for the country, step aside. Oh, and take the biggest mistake of your life (Sarah Palin) with you and let her slide back to Alaska where she can keep an eye on Russia.

Oh, one more thing, I am not "your friend" Mr. McCain.

October 13, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  21. Eric Cooper

Senator McCain, I thought that you WERE running the campaign that you wanted to run. You know the whole "Country First" as long as you belong to the Republican party and or willing to vote for me, put Sarah Palin on the stump to stir up the uneducated, backwoods folks to stoke the flames of racism and divide, and show no respect whatsoever to your opponent...you know that platform...what happened?

Nearly two years ago, Barack Obama launched a campaign where the platform was "Change". Nearly two years later, the platform is the same, the message is the SAME. "My friends" to the "right" will disagree, and that's fine, but there's something to be said and respected about a steady and consistent leader and message.

Obama/Biden '08

October 13, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  22. TOO OLD to LEAD

John McCain IS the one who started all this negative, devisive campagaining now – he wants to flip/flop and turn it around. Well I guess Obama is not a terriorist this week, or maybe this week he might not be a pal of Bill Ayers. "MY FRIENDS" John McCain is too erratic and un-stable. He changes his message and attacks every day. This man is not of sound mind and thought.

October 13, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |