October 15th, 2008

CNN POLL: Obama making gains in red states

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/14/art.colorado.gi.jpg caption="Obama is making gains in several states President Bush won twice."]HEMPSTEAD, New York (CNN) - As the two major party presidential candidates get ready to face off in person one last time, new polls in some crucial states that could decide the race for the White House suggest John McCain is having to defend himself in areas that once were reliably Republican.

A new CNN/Time Magazine/Opinion Research Corporation survey in Virginia released Wednesday indicates that Barack Obama holds a 10 point lead over McCain, 53 percent to 43 percent among likely voters. President Bush won Virginia by 9 points over Senator John Kerry in 2004 and the state hasn't voted for a Democrat in a presidential election since 1964.

"Obama is winning men and women in Virginia, and is doing well across the state east of the Blue Ridge Mountains," said CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.

It's a similar story in Colorado, a state that hasn't voted for a Democrat in the race for the White House in 16 years. The new poll indicates Senator Obama, D-Illinois, holds a 4 point edge over McCain, 51 percent to 47 percent.

And in Georgia, a state that President Bush won by 17 points over Kerry 4 years ago and that hasn't voted for the Democrats in a presidential contest in 16 years, the poll suggests a much narrower single digit lead for Senator McCain, R-Arizona, 53 percent to 45 percent.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Kelby from Houston, TX

I would like to take this time to reiterate the fact that YOUR POLLS MEAN NOTHING! It is not an accurate reflection of the amount of support that I see that my candidate has.
    Even though I do enjoy hearing good news about my candidate I realize, just as every other supporter of Obama realizes, WE MUST NOT BECOME COMPLACENT OR COMFORTABLE.
    WE HAVE NOT WON, YET!
    We must continue our work in what ever role we find ourselves playing in this campaign. It's personal campaign. Do you believe?
    I DO!

BTW, I love my fellow supporters, y'all give me hope for the future!

VOTE FOR DEMOCRATS
    VOTE FOR OBAMA
    THAT 1 '08

October 15, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  2. al in memphis

Keep going door to door until you message is clear. People are tired of the same old politics and only hearing from politicans when it election time.
    On the night of Nov 4th, I still want to see Obama going door to door.

October 15, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  3. DJ VA

I am glad to see the poll numbers consider that they called me for this poll and I helped show my support for Obama. It isnt over yet and we need to get out and vote. Remember you can early vote as well!

October 15, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  4. Doug

Hey LIP...
    Just remember that the Keating Four are joined at McCain's other hip...making it the Keating 5. But this is not an election about charactor . It's about the economy .. ...Advantage Obama. It is also about cool under fire...and in this election....advantage Obama. The war...advantage Obama...health care...advantage Obama....alternative energy...advantage Obama. Vice presidential candidates....HUGE advantage ...Obama. 2nd place beauty contest winners...advantage McCain.

October 15, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  5. Catholic-mom-4-OBAMA

@ JOE KILOZ:

I know that the far-right does not listen. You people, only listen to the AM radio-lie-and-fear-mongers. Here are the facts:

1. Ayers: Ayers & Sen. Obama met while serving on the board of the ANNENBERG foundation for EDUCATION. THE ANNENBERG FOUNDATION IS WALTER ANNENBERG a REPUBLICAN. ALONG with Ayers and Sen. Obama MANY REPUBLICANS!

2. Mr. Ayers, was not found GUILTY OF ANYTHING, was NOT prosecuted!

3. Ayers had a COFFEE for Sen. Obama at his house to introduce him to other Chicago politicians and citizens.

THAT'S HARDLY ILLEGAL! THAT'S HARDLY 'PALLING AROUND WITH TERRORIST" AS PALIN & MCCAIN & OTHER HATE-MONGERS HAVE SAID.

ALL THE FAR-RIGHT PEOPLE ON THESE BLOGS ACCUSING AND SLANDERING SEN. OBAMA HAVE TO DO IS GO TO:

FAQCHECK.ORG TO READ THE TRUTH FOR THEMSELVES.

October 15, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  6. david Armendale, SF, CA

Jesse Jackson can be a real moron sometimes. Obama said what he had to say about Jackson not speaking for his campaign. Time to move on.

October 15, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  7. KofTX

Only a few more weeks to go....

Obama/Biden '08

October 15, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  8. Brian NYC

Wow.. someone really said ACORN is helping him out. I'm not starting to see the Rebulicans are easily swayed with ignorance. It's a shame. I know some people are more ignorant than others but wow.. Its not even a fine line. Its not ACORN its the American people wanting something better for themselves and realizing Obama is the man to do it. Let Palin keep bashing into your heads the uncertainty when she herself bring up many questions and can't even defend her own position.

October 15, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  9. Just Me In WV

Just signed up to do some volunteering for Sen Obama's campaign here in Charleston WV...boy are the folks hyped up! And to borrow a signature:

AMERICA 08

October 15, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  10. TJ

You know, this political season has been the most exciting in the last 12 years. That was the first time I took advantage of my right to vote, and proudly cast my vote for Clinton. Now, my hair is grayer, I have two major illnesses that I deal with on a daily basis, and for the first time in a long time, I have hope. Hope for a better tomorrow. In all my years, I never dreamed I would ever see an African American candidate captivate the country and the world as Obama is doing right now. I can't tell if it's due to Obama's greatness as a candidate or McBush's ineptitude. I wanted McBush to tell me anything that wojuld give me a reason to vote for him. He did not. Caribou Barbie doesn't impress me that much, either. Obama has personally inspired me to see just how far I can go, illness or not. Regardless of the outcome, Obama's campaign has made a believer out of me.

October 15, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  11. SoCal

When CNN and other MSM will start providing real "information" rather than each and every distraction McCain/Palin throw in the campaign?

McCain/Palin talk about ACORN as "voter fraud". I've seen many reports from CNN and each of them fails to report the fact as they are.
    If the name on a Voter Registration Form reads "Mickey Mouse" it's rather difficult to think that anyon will ever be able to use that registration to cast a ballot and commit "Voter Fraud".

The whole ACORN is about "Voter Registration Fraud", not "Voter Fraud" as McCain/Palin are saying. And ACORN was actually the victim of the fraud: as they pay their workers based on the number of registrations they complete, it's clear that some of those workers simply generated a bunch of bogus registrations forms, with bogus names and information (with no effect whatsoever on any actual vote!).

McCain/Palin are just using this story to attack Obama, create yet again some kind of distraction (so they don't have to talk about the economy), and forcing official to watch suspiciously each and every new registration form (which may actually result in the suppression of some legitimate voter registration form).

It's time CNN and the media tell the story for what it is.

October 15, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  12. Linda, Michigan

McCain has nothing concreate to debate about. He's a total disgrace.

Jesse wants to feel important, but he has no part in Obama's policy. Whatever Jesse says, doesn't mean anything to me.

Michigan GO BLUE!!!

October 15, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  13. Anoma - CANADA

LETS MAKE AMERICA BLUE!!!! for tranquility and prosperity of the World as a whole!!!!

October 15, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  14. Anonymous

Sarah Palin has kept him in the race so far. You get more publicity and more talking from Palin than from Mc Cain. It scared me to death just imagining Palin taking over the presidential role if Mc Cain dies. Obama and Biden are definitely more than ready to lead.Palin is just right down annoying with her "gosh darn" and "Joe six pack". Putting her in office is like taking a store manager and making him into a corporate CEO. This makes no buisness sense, as it does not make any political and leadership sense in putting her as vice president.

October 15, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  15. Laura

Why isn't CNN reporting on Timmons, one of McCain's top aides that has been proven to have helped lobbyist working for Saddam Huessein?
    Is this true? Did McCain's aide woeked as a lobbyist for Saddam Huessein? And if this is true why hasn't CNN reported on it?

I have the same question!!!

October 15, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  16. Jeff, North Dakota

North Dakota is going blue, and not just because of the temperature.

October 15, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  17. California Voter

Obama has said and will say whatever he needs to in order to win this election. Look what happened to Rev. Wright who was his surrogate father . . . under the truck he went when he became a liability. Obama promised to use federal funding for his campaign until that became a liability. Is there a pattern here? Be careful about what Obama is promising the voters because you know he will CHANGE.

October 15, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  18. Bob Indianapolis IN

"Purple Haze in my brain!
    Lately things just don't seem the same..."

Maybe it's the economy.
    Maybe it's the death of fascism in America.
    Maybe it's hope for a better tomorrow....

October 15, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  19. Jeanette

Close dosen't count – and if you want Senator Obama elected you better get everyone to the polls on election day. The republicans are resorting to dirty tricks to mar this election before the voting has even begun. And I fully believe McCain is behind the Acorn mess.

October 15, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  20. Dave In SE MA

C'mon Georgia! We'd love to have you on the Blue Side! Show the country that the Civil War is over and that you guys stand for science, reason, and progress! Just say no to right-wing crazies like Palin! You guys are better than that!

October 15, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  21. facts are facts

The facts are most intelligent and respectable Republicans are abandoning ship and supporting Obama. The trolls on these blogs are paid supporters of the GOP the same as they paid college students to protest.

Anyone with a basic knowledge of what is going on in these elections could not with any consceince vote for the Palin/McCain ticket. How can you support ignorance and irrational behaviour over calm and intelligent?

October 15, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  22. Ted

This race is over!

October 15, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  23. Kim

I agree with Ian and anyone else who says it....TIMMONS?!?!

I am a CNN junkie, but heard about Timmons on an independent radio podcast. Where are you CNN??

October 15, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  24. Chelle in Fla

let it also be stated that Jesse Jackson who claimes to suport Obama, is also very jealous of him! Jesse needs to sit his tail somewhere, he is sooo off!

October 15, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  25. hometowndemocrat

Right on North Dakota!!!!

October 15, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |