October 16th, 2008

Obama camp targets McCain moment

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/16/art.obamaad.cnn.jpg caption="The Obama campaign is out with a new ad from Wednesday's debate."]

(CNN) - Barack Obama's campaign is wasting no time in targeting one of John McCain's comments during the third and final debate Wednesday night.

In a new 30-second spot set to air nationally, the Illinois senator's campaign highlights one of the McCain's most emphatic statements of the evening: "Senator Obama, I am not President Bush."

The line was among the strongest of the evening for the Arizona senator, who has long grappled with how to escape the president's shadow.

"True, but you did vote with bush 90 percent of the time." The ad's narrator says. "Tax cuts for big corporations and the wealthy, but almost nothing for the middle-class - same as Bush. Keep spending 10 billion a month in Iraq when our economy struggles? Same as Bush."

The ad also shows some of McCain's more memorable reactions from Wednesday's debates, when the Republican presidential nominee was seen rolling his eyes and sighing.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Scott L

JOHN KERRY WON ALL HIS DEBATES TOO!

October 16, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  2. Farrell, Houston, Tx

If you didn't see a split screen of both candidates you really missed out on the faces McCain was making while Obama was talking. Something is wrong with McCain and he can't control it. I'm with those 2,700 plus doctors that are requesting all of McCain's medical records be released for review.

October 16, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  3. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

"Senator Obama, I am not President Bush."–but you walked in Bush's shadow–instead of casting your own.

October 16, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  4. Jim

I really thought McCain was going to explode last night. Disappointed he didn't. 🙁

October 16, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  5. joe-6-pack

Mccain was not born in the united states of america

October 16, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  6. Mike Canada

Well, can you imagine Putin sitting across from McCain, and McCain offering up one of those wide-eyed expressions after some "serious" discussion? Can you say Poker Face? Not only was Senator McCain angry, bitter, confused and wrong (on so many points), he clearly looked like the less presidential candidate. Scolding Senator Obama about Free Trade, is hardly the way to have a discussion. My way or the highway is not the leadership that Americans need at this crucial time.
    Near the end of the debate, McCain changed the subject so many times it was difficult to know what points he wanted to get across. In sales, they call that spraying and praying, you just hope that your customer finds something to resonate with. It is not very effective and it is used by sales people that are unable to build a relationship with their customers. They don't last very long in the sales game.

I was completely confused when McCain refered to "Joe the plumber" as RICH. Where was that coming from? Obama had completely defended his tax plan for small businesses and McCain had nowhere to go. To bring up the subject again, in this fashion, was desperation at its finest.

Read Fact-Check on ACORN, figure this out people. If there truly was something unworthy of Obama there, it would have been played out more that it has been. There's nothing in it.

We just had our federal election, and met another minority government. Good thing, as the Conservative / Republican policies can not run unchecked for another term. Not the result I hoped for, but I am still crossing my fingers for an Obama/Biden result in the US of A.
    Canada so closely follows your economic path, and we need change too!

October 16, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  7. Marge

Gee if obama thinks he can "qualify" to be president even my cat could be vice president don't you think.

October 16, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  8. PA Law

Good one! The Obama campaign was more than ready for McCain's debate antics....all of which will come back to bite him in the rear end.
    This campaign is not sleeping and will not sit by and allow a repeat of the 2000 and 2004 elections!

"Know the Truth", I know about Phil Berg. His "firm" is his residence in Lafayette Hill. (That's just outside Philadelphia.) I'm also in the defense counsel circle...Berg is seen a nutcase and the court is not happy with this baseless suit clogging up it's already overloaded civil docket. It's likely to get dismissed via a defense summary judgment motion. Thus far, there are no issues of fact for a jury to decide...just baseless and unsubstantiated allegations.

October 16, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  9. The media is the enemy

it's a diservice to Bush to be compared to McBlinky, Bush is not nearly as mean and angry as McPalin. Bad judgement, bad temper, bad character, inferior intellect, arrogant under achiever who would substitute gimmicks and gut calls for real policy and diplomacy. And then there's Palin... 'nuff said!

October 16, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  10. Matt

Personally, I'd want someone who behaved like McCain did last night to stay on his own side of the aisle.

Funny how Obama doesn't even need to cross...PEOPLE CROSS TO HIM.

October 16, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  11. CR in WI

welcome to the age of instant response.

Good move for Obama to take what may have been McCain's best "set piece" and debunk it straight away.

McCain's been all over the map these past few weeks, and I will only get worried if he is able to focus on something for longer than a news cycle.
    Barack was tepid last night, but apparently 'won' in many people's eyes. I personally thought McCain did really well, but then again I am a junkie. Political junkie, not the other kind . . .

BO08

October 16, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  12. Francheska

McCain came off as just plain angry. I guess he still figures he is OWED the White House. ;-(

October 16, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  13. Sam

Three reasons for McCain not to be president:
    1. Health care – That was McCain's Exhibit A – that he is out of touch. I can tell from experience, a person with pre-existing conditions, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get coverage for any amount, let alone for $5000 per family. What planet is he on?
    2. His body language during debate when he does not like something. If he can't carry on a civil debate with a fellow colleague and an American, how is he going to deal with world leaders? McCain should not be anywhere near a button that lights up weapons.
    3. Last, but not least, his VP pick.

I wonder many times, how many of those uninsured or unemployed/uninsured people are Republicans? How many stayed Republicans, after a period, when things got tougher and their government did not come to their aid?

October 16, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  14. Frank

McCain looked like he had a mess in his pants during the whole debate. I have never seen someone look so uncomfortable.

October 16, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  15. Deborah

John McCain was so unprofessional...rolling his eyes, smirky looks....NOT Presidential material! The world leaders do not act like this...a spolied child!!! This was as bad as Palin's winking!!!!!

October 16, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  16. Army Guy

It seems that McCain's cronies have been waiting for him to use that line. Now that he did, he's opened himself up, again.

I hope the "Joe the Plumbers" out there don't fall for the McCain BS. McCain is always talking "Country First", well then why don't you ask "Joe" to be country first too, after all he will be making over $250K/year which is 4x what I make for putting country first, and Joe's complaining?

October 16, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  17. Tony

It's unfortunate that the one independent news networks has been overrun by liberal bias. The CNN analysis scoring the debate showed a win for McCain, yet CNN and their website are reporting the results of non-scientific polls instead. It's a real disgrace, their integrity is pretty much shot as far as I'm concerned.

BTW, I'd put this in the appropriate article, but CNN's Ticker moderators like to censor the blogs and shut off comments early.

October 16, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  18. John McCain

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

October 16, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  19. Dannette

If the American people want a president who looks uncomfortable dealing with people and speaking about issues, then McCain is your guy. Obama, is respectable at all times and knows how to get his point across wthout appearing aggitated and angry. Obama gives clear answers. Obama 08!!

October 16, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  20. Johanna

McCain is not Bush but he certainly acts the same way. Enough is enough.

October 16, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  21. well... if the shoe fits

kicked his "you know what..."

Poll numbers Higher?

I didn't appreciate McCain's attitude. He does not carry himself like a president.

His catch phrase should be " I Liiike Monay "

I think Obama hit the nail on the head when he said he would not mind paying a little more in taxes for the greater good of the country in the long term. I have said before that I would not mind either.

I am a white mid 30's female ... I make more than the average 30something female but still less than my Male peers that I have to work harder and longer to prove myself equal to. I don't appreciate McCain's dismissive position towards women's rights of any kind.

It's not a partisan thing... It's just a matter of common sense.

October 16, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  22. JL

I'm glad election season is almost over. I'm tired of republicans trying to scare me away from voting for Obama using irrelevant information and I'm tired of democrats comparing McCain to Bush. As an independent, none of this matters to me. It's the economy, victims of natural disasters that we ignore, the war my son is fighting, the lack of care for veterans, the abuse of power by the current administration, etc., that really matters. Not this.

I really hope everyone gets out there and votes. Early voting is open in my state. I'm going today and then tuning out for the rest of the season.

October 16, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  23. Nuff Said....

We truly cannot afford to take the 10% chance on McCain's brand of change....for the evidence points in another direction. I don't know about you, but that "trickle-down thingy" has not worked so well in my personal economy.

October 16, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  24. Republican For Obama

McCain didn't answer any questions. When he was asked specific questions, he attacked Obama on a completely unrelated subject. When Obama answered a question, McCain's rebuttal was an attack on a different subject. John McCain, Sarah Palin and their backers cannot give one solitary reason to vote for them, thus, they will continue to tell us why we shouldn't vote for Obama. "THAT" is the truth.

October 16, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  25. obama/biden supporter

who wants a president that rolls his eyes when others are talking, laughs while others are talking, or cant even keep his mouth shut and refrain from interjecting while others are talking? NO – ONE! If so we would have picked a teenager off the street to be our president.

i have lost any and all respect for john mccain

October 16, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |