October 16th, 2008

Obama camp targets McCain moment

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/16/art.obamaad.cnn.jpg caption="The Obama campaign is out with a new ad from Wednesday's debate."]

(CNN) - Barack Obama's campaign is wasting no time in targeting one of John McCain's comments during the third and final debate Wednesday night.

In a new 30-second spot set to air nationally, the Illinois senator's campaign highlights one of the McCain's most emphatic statements of the evening: "Senator Obama, I am not President Bush."

The line was among the strongest of the evening for the Arizona senator, who has long grappled with how to escape the president's shadow.

"True, but you did vote with bush 90 percent of the time." The ad's narrator says. "Tax cuts for big corporations and the wealthy, but almost nothing for the middle-class - same as Bush. Keep spending 10 billion a month in Iraq when our economy struggles? Same as Bush."

The ad also shows some of McCain's more memorable reactions from Wednesday's debates, when the Republican presidential nominee was seen rolling his eyes and sighing.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Baze

"I'm beginning to think McCain's core supporters are only supporting him because they are outright stupid."

Not true BK, most G.O.P. are just die hard loyalist. They don't care about the candidate as much as they do an ideology. You could put a ham sandwich up on stage and they'd vote for him as long as he was wearing that Repub elephant.

October 16, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  2. jules

Does Obama get a "do over" in 4 years when nothing has been fixed and he begs you to give him more time? I say if a president can't get anything done in the first 4 years he doesn't deserve a second chance. The first 4 years should be the most productive. If it doesn't happen then, folks, it ain't going to.

October 16, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  3. NC = blue in '08

I saw this ad early this morning, and it was a very good, effective ad. We are gonna turn NC blue this year!!

OBAMA/BIDEN

October 16, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  4. Uncle Sam

Sen. Obama voted 96% of the time with the Reid-Pelosi Congress.

🙁

October 16, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  5. Denise

No you are not Bush but; two small minded people who think alike 90% of the time.War,oil,greed. Turn in your ticket McCain cheating on a landslide is not an option... Give me a break!!!

October 16, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  6. FrankSmith

Philip J. Berg esq and Obama.

Do NOT waste your time on this nonsense. These issues have been discussed and debated. No, the FBI background check would never have allowed any candidate to get this far and close to the Presidency. Spend your time on another topic.

But here is the real catch: you are being asked to CONTRIBUTE your hard-earned dollars to file a legal brief on the matter. Where will your money go? Well, do not come back screaming and .... You are being fooled again, and again and you never wake up!

October 16, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  7. Let there be Light

There are stark difference in the two personas...as we've witnessed in the debates and on the trail...and my overall impression is that Obama is more inclusive of ALL Americans, not just a select few.

October 16, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  8. Jason

Barack Obama was born in Hawaii in 1961, two years after it became a state. Interestingly, John McCain was born on a U.S. military base in Panama, so if anyone would be ineligible to run (though neither of them are), it would be him.

This garbage spread by "Know the truth" and others on the internet is exactly why we have to fight every single baseless smear with truth. Their attempts are not "pro-USA"; in fact, they are the exact opposite, slanderous lies that attempt to discredit an American patriot and drag the entire country down.

October 16, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  9. Iraq veteran for Obama

If you were to look up the word "Angry" in the dictionary, you'll find a picture of McCain right next to the meaning. LOL..Priceless.

October 16, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  10. Will the Real Maverick Please Stand Up?

Well I guess even McLame can get one thing right. It's just a pity this was the only one. There must have been a moment of clarity in his confused mind. He might not be Bush but he is Bush's sidekick– Little John.

October 16, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  11. stephanie

I have been waiting for the infamous Phillip Berg case; frankly as I watch my 401 k dwindle to nothing while McCain has numerous homes and ridiculous number of automobiles sits on TV in what is to be the most important election ever rolling his eyes and showing such
    obvious childish behaviour; it doesnt surprise me that, in all of what we as a country are experiencing now ;that Phillip Bergs case should be the very next thing to be placed of my agenda.

Pro US post!!!!!!
    Get a dictionary and look up Pro.

October 16, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  12. Robert

During the debate, I was most struck by the glaring absence of McCains Lapel Pin ? According to some reporters I've watched on Fox, not wearing a lapel pin indicates a lack of patriotism. Does McCains missing lapel pin mean he is unpatriotic ... or just less patriotic than Obama ?

October 16, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  13. Republican for OBAMA

"Senator Obama, I am not President Bush"

Ya, Got that Right, John! You're possibly worse!

Know the truth? Everyone should Rolling Stone's article on McCain called "Make Believe Maverick".

The angry, eye rolling, "thanks for asking you little jerk"..... That's the REAL John McCain...AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN.

Read the article and you'll know why John is SO DESPERATE he'll do or say anything to get elected.

COUNTRY FIRST? What a joke. This man has always put his ambition ahead of his country...

I"ve lost ALL respect for you John McCain.

OBAMA/BIDEN 08/12

October 16, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  14. Nelson Colorado Springs Co

Good debate for Sen McCain but he looked upset about something. I know he mad when everytime he looked at Sen Obama he was smile at him I could see the Steam from his head.Nothing new on both parts same old stuff again glad it 's over. Go Obama/Biden

October 16, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  15. Ralph

Your right John McSame, you’re not president Bush, you’re the guy that lost to Governor Bush in the GOP 2000 primary. Sorry, the man you have become is not the man I supported in the 2000 primary. You have become a poor copy of incompetent president and you want the decent hard work Americans to drink GOP Cool-Aid, like you did. Sorry but the more fact checking I do the more it becomes clear you are a desperate man running a despite campaign.

October 16, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  16. jules

Obama wouldn't say anything about Palin's qualifications because she has more than him as far as executive.

October 16, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  17. FrankSmith

Someone out there is wasting our precious time again by posting:
    Philip J. Berg esq and Obama.

October 16, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  18. Dennis

First rule of sales in business and politics. Ask for the order. Ask for the vote. Obama asked specifically for my vote in closing last night. McCain did not.

Obama gets my vote.

October 16, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  19. Marie Budhan

Obama, should have said, You are right you are not Pres.Bush you are his replica or clone. McCain thanks for fighting for our country but there is no way you can understand anyone's pain when you can afford to pay 7 house hold bills easily until you don't keep up with what you own.

October 16, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  20. james

Once again smooth talker Obama mustered his finest acting skills to appear presidential, and once again their was no real substance in his attempt to outline a real platform. This is due to the fact that his only "message" is clearly to get elected. He will most likely be the "victor" on November 11th which will undoubtedly create extreme liberal mania in Washington. I just hope that America is not the "victim" when the tax and spend train takes to the rails.

October 16, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  21. He isn't Bush

McCain-Feingold
    McCain-Kennedy
    McCain-Lieberman

Very similar to President Bush's positions? I think not. McCain and Bush have also been at odds (as reported by the press, including CNN) during the past 7 years. Strange how that footage hasn't appeared recently...

October 16, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  22. Andrew - Sioux Falls, SD

I am one of the few Obama supporters in SD but after watching the way the candidates handled themselves last night, I was only more inclined to support Obama. McCain time and time again rolled his eyes or interupted Obama. Did you see Barack do that? Of course not. He knows how to handle himself in the public eye unlike McCain. McCain is a pathetic excuse for a republican, a human and an American. He and caribou barbie might as well throw in the towel.

Obama/Biden '08 & '12

October 16, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  23. John Doe

I am sick of Obama saying the same thing over and over again like a broken record!"The $10 billion a month spent in Iraq...that could be spent on health care"...Health care will cost ALOT more than $10 billion a month.He will not rest until we lose the war then say "See I told you so,I told you so!"...If you really support our troops give them what they need to win the war!No more defense cuts as Clinton was infamous for among other things.
    And news flash Obama...McCain is not Bush

October 16, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  24. Hip Hop Producers for Obama/Biden

To "Mike in IL". DUDE...GROW UP AND STOP WHINING ABOUT THE PAST LOSER! Did your wife leave you? I despise idiots like you that have no other reason to cry except for, "Obama took my cookie"! You're one of those rednecks that simply were not going to vote for an African American ANYWAY!

October 16, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  25. Marie Budhan

If you partonize me ( the american people one more time, I might get as angry as you are until I have to take your deep breaths.

October 16, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |