October 20th, 2008

Palin and McCain disagree on federal gay marriage ban

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/20/art.mccain.palin.vp.jpg caption="Palin and McCain disagree on a federal gay marriage ban."]
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (CNN) - Add one more policy item to the list of things John McCain and Sarah Palin disagree on.

Palin told CBN’s David Brody over the weekend that she supports a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, a proposal John McCain voted against in 2004. McCain believes the matter should be left to the states.

Brody asked Palin if she supports “something like” an amendment banning gay marriage.

“I am,” Palin said. “In my own, state, I have voted along with the vast majority of Alaskans who had the opportunity to vote to amend our Constitution defining marriage as between one man and one woman. I wish on a federal level that that's where we would go because I don't support gay marriage.

“I'm not going to be out there judging individuals, sitting in a seat of judgment telling what they can and can't do, should and should not do,” she said. “But I certainly can express my own opinion here and take actions that I believe would be best for traditional marriage and that's casting my votes and speaking up for traditional marriage that, that instrument that it's the foundation of our society is that strong family and that's based on that traditional definition of marriage, so I do support that.”

McCain and Palin disagree on a number of issues, including stem cell research, whether or not global warming is man-made, and drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Reserve.

In the past, McCain has joked away any policy differences between the two running mates.

“By the way, you may figure out from time to time, Sarah and I don’t agree on every issue,” McCain said at a joint town hall last month in Michigan. “What do you expect of two mavericks, to agree on everything? Eh?”

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Monica

Let's try to diagram her sentences, if that is possible.

October 20, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  2. Moe, NY

The McCain/Palin campaign are even divided among themselves, how do they ever think they could put this country back together again? God forbid this lady gets anywhere near the White House, I can just see her amending the constitution as we know it. I am sure if she has her way, we will not even be allowed to read the books we want. Do us all a favor Palin and go back to Alaska.

October 20, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  3. PLJones

There she goes again...

Mccain as my mother use to say

"You made your bed, now you must lie in it"

I guess you should've picked someone you knew a lot better, and with some experience to know better....

October 20, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  4. ltd1974- Ohio for Obama

America PLEASE WAKE UP. Don't you see how this Administration will perform if the shameless are elected.

Obama/Biden '08

October 20, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  5. ELF

You know, I understand not agreeing on everything, but when you are running mates, you should at least agree on most things. More times than not, she has come out and made a statement that disagrees or contradicts what John says. Should that ticket win, we will have one fighting stance while John is President and then a different one should something happen to him and she becomes President. Heaven help us!

I once heard that a two-headed snake if good for nothing but a circus. Oh, pardon me, this is a circus!

October 20, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  6. fixthebroken

You do not - I repeat do not - put amendments like this in the federal constitution. Our founding fathers would despise such a thing. At the very worst, it is a state issue.

Sarah Palin is very extreme and, honestly, a bit dangerous.

October 20, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  7. CHRISTIE

Is it just me or does anyone else have a hard time reading and understanding Palin when she is quoted exactly by the press?

October 20, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  8. Oregon Calling

Gov Palin,
    Are you trying to loose this election for your party? I always thought that the Republicans wanted "less" gov't. Oh yeah, we've had Pres Bush in office for the past 7+ years.

Our Constitution is our foundation, it began flawed but has gotten better over the years. This is NOT something that we should include in it. I am not gay but I do believe that consenting adults should have the right to be with another consenting adult of their choosing.

Vote smart – Obama / Biden 08

October 20, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  9. Dawn

Everyone has their rights, Gay and Lesbians are probably the most caring people I know. I have friends that are Gay. I am proud to call them my friends. I am not, but that does not mean that they should have their own rights taken away. Call me a Liberal I really don't care. Listen to her people, she wants to take your rights away, Our rights to get an Abortion, Gay marriages, our rights to read books that we like to read, I say to anyone, IF you read between the lines this is Socialism at it's best. Remember Hitler burning books!

Obama/Biden08/12

October 20, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  10. go vote

did she really say THAT Nine times in one run on sentence?

I believe that "tradiitonal marraige" is a man and a woman... However, I believe that people of the same sex that chose to form a legal bond and commit to spend their lives together come what may should be able to do so in a free and democratic society.

Call it whatever you want, marraige, civil union, whatever...

Furthermore, how can she believe that abortion rights should be decided at the state level but marraige rights should be decided at the federal level? This woman is in complete contradiction with Herself .. never mind JMcCain.

I diverse.. .doesn't matter I never get posted anymore anyway.

my two cents

October 20, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  11. values

SHE IS SPEAKING UP BECAUSE ALL IS LOST. NOW SHE IS TRYING TO STAND ON HER OWN AFTER BEING A PUPPET.

October 20, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  12. Christy

In other words Sarah "wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah". I'd rather listen to the grown ups in the Charlie Brown cartoons.

In other words Sarah, "Homosexual couples with children are not strong families". Everytime you open your mouth you put your foot in it.

I am so anxious for Nov. 5th to get here so that Sarah can go get tucked away again in her own little country of Alaaaaaaaaaaska.

October 20, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  13. Sarah

So they can win both sides!

McCain is a good man but he made a very stupid decision...
    Sarah Palin is extremist more than Bush...She will never become a president

October 20, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  14. Tony

Wake up people. Get on the web and see what Palin's stance on gay issues, including gay marriage, really are. This imbecile has been anti-gay her whole political career.

The lies fromn ehr are never ending!

October 20, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  15. Bridgette-PA

And the list goes on.......Obama and Biden don't agree on everything either, however, Biden WOULD NOT go against MAJOR OBAMA policies while being interviewed!

OBAMA/BIDEN-08!

October 20, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  16. Jeff, OR

Funny how Palin is throwing McCain under the bus so much these days. It looks like with their candidate so far behind, the Republican Party is already grooming his successor for election in 2012.

What a horrifying thought. I know some people love her, but she's far right, polarizing, and divisive. I also think she needs experience outside of Alaska to understand national (let alone global) issues.

October 20, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  17. GG NYC

I can't wait until November 4th, when we will never have to look at these two full-of-crap "Mavericks" or hear that term used with respect to this ill-suited duo. Its disgusting and they are disgraceful. I hope for McCain's sake that he drags himself out of the muck and ends his campaign (and likely his political career) gracefully, as the happy warrior he seems to enjoy being most.

That said, no way, no how, no McCain-Palin! We are almost there!!!

October 20, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  18. Texans for Change

Awesome, she wants to write discrimination into the constitution

October 20, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  19. rich

Fortunately, she would not have the chance to ban anything...no books..no gay marriage...nothing..nada. The country is printing her one way ticket back to Alaska as we speak. Bye Sarah. Nice meeting ya.

October 20, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  20. Michael L, Houston

one of the reasons they are losing this thing... thank god.. or whoever you pray to... is that they've NEVER had a consistent message.

we've gone from fearless war hero... to EXPERIENCE and ready to lead on foreign policy... to CHANGE (that was funny) to Maverick reformers.. who think the economy is great... to Mav reformers who think its in trouble.. to Joe the Plumbers (who really only makes 40k.. works for the company he wants to buy and thinks he can maybe make 250k.. and is back on his taxes.. lol)

only 2 weeks to go... wonder what he's gonna be this week. Erratic I think. An angry Erratic old man... like in the debate.

October 20, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  21. Alan

That-a-girl Sarah – you just keep hitting those ridiculous hot-button social issues to get the right wing wackos out to vote. If "Joe the plumber" or "Joe Sixpack" actually voted for what's in their own best interest, there's no way the Republicans would have a snowball's chance. Their only hope is to distract average ordinary Americans with red herrings like gay marriage, abortion, and lies about Obama taxing "hard working" Americans.

By the way, if you actually look at Obama's plan, he's not going to be taxing "average hard working Americans". He'll be taxing those blood sucking corporate CEOs who make millions of dollars while their companies go belly up and beg for handouts from the US taxpayers.

What would you rather have? Your money go to pay for child care for a single mom so she can get a decent job (or go to school and get some training) or to go AIG to pay for managers to have spa treatments at a retreat?

October 20, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  22. PHIL TEXAS

THATS WHAT MAKES THEM SO GREAT

October 20, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  23. Will the Real Maverick Please Stand Up?

Golly! She still can't get the message right. Gosh darn it! Maybe John needs to sit next to her to answer her questions for her? *wink* You betcha! They're just a couple 'mavericky' people–lying, cheating, their way along.

Country first? Which part? The 'pro-American' parts? Wher are the 'pro-American' parts? We need to know!

October 20, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  24. Beverly, NYC

Denying the right of fellow human beings. And she calls herself a christian. What else don't we know about her "views". I'm glad she feel so free to speak with 16 days to go hopefully she will put both feet in that big mouth and destroy any chance at a run for the first chair in 2012. Proper vetting might have brought these disagreements to light, rather than choosing the anatomically correct running mate.

October 20, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  25. Joan , Ontario

She's obviously campaigning for 2012. By the way, the Democratic colour is blue and the Obama/Biden signs are blue. The Republican party is defined by red. Why aren't the official McCain/Palin signs red? Just wondering.

October 20, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |