October 20th, 2008

Palin and McCain disagree on federal gay marriage ban

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/20/art.mccain.palin.vp.jpg caption="Palin and McCain disagree on a federal gay marriage ban."]
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (CNN) - Add one more policy item to the list of things John McCain and Sarah Palin disagree on.

Palin told CBN’s David Brody over the weekend that she supports a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, a proposal John McCain voted against in 2004. McCain believes the matter should be left to the states.

Brody asked Palin if she supports “something like” an amendment banning gay marriage.

“I am,” Palin said. “In my own, state, I have voted along with the vast majority of Alaskans who had the opportunity to vote to amend our Constitution defining marriage as between one man and one woman. I wish on a federal level that that's where we would go because I don't support gay marriage.

“I'm not going to be out there judging individuals, sitting in a seat of judgment telling what they can and can't do, should and should not do,” she said. “But I certainly can express my own opinion here and take actions that I believe would be best for traditional marriage and that's casting my votes and speaking up for traditional marriage that, that instrument that it's the foundation of our society is that strong family and that's based on that traditional definition of marriage, so I do support that.”

McCain and Palin disagree on a number of issues, including stem cell research, whether or not global warming is man-made, and drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Reserve.

In the past, McCain has joked away any policy differences between the two running mates.

“By the way, you may figure out from time to time, Sarah and I don’t agree on every issue,” McCain said at a joint town hall last month in Michigan. “What do you expect of two mavericks, to agree on everything? Eh?”

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Linda32

Sounds like Palin's preparing for her next gig because she knows they aren't going to win.

October 20, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  2. Fritz

Palin and McCain are playing the game of "we don't agree with each other on this so you agree with one of us so vote for us" on many of these issues and even on robocalls. They really want it both ways – they want to engage in disgusting politics but then say "I didn't wanna have to". Sounds like McCain with his "I would not have ran such a nasty campaign if Obama had agreed to the town halls." If this is how McCain and Palin are behaving now, just imagine how awful they will be running the country.

October 20, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  3. JACKED-UP-POLITICS, FLORIDA

THere will be a lot that they disagree on and unfortunately she will not be in a position to really challenge him.

October 20, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  4. RIF

Reading quotes from Palin makes my head hurt. I have to read them 3 or 4 times before I can even begin to understand what it is she is trying to say. I would advise the media to just give us a summary of what she says instead of making our heads explode tryinng to read direct quotes. This lady is dangerous.

October 20, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  5. NoMccain

Umm... should it be... a Palin/Mccain ticket?
    Sounds like dissension among the ranks to me.

October 20, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  6. Elizabeth - Texas - Former Republican

What do they agree on? It looks like McCain is always under the Straight Talk Express.

October 20, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  7. Neal

This woman is so clearly not ready to govern.
    What does she mean she's not going to be judging people, just stating her opinion?
    When you're a political leader your opinion becomes law, which becomes institutionalized judgment.
    American cannot afford another vapid politician in the White House.

October 20, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  8. Thomas

She wants to amend the Constitution to exclude those whom she feels don't fit her narrow contruct of a "good American". This gives me a shudder! Can we tolerate opening this door? Who else then would be excluded? This in an ominous warning about who this woman really is. She has no grasp of what she is saying. She is a dangerous loose cannon.

October 20, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  9. This one is for That One

McCain is going to burn and crash.....again....but instead of a POW camp.......He'll be sitting poolside sipping beer. VOTE OBAMA/BIDEN

October 20, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  10. Phantastek

Ummm.. all those "that's", were they said like that or that the way that she said that so many times that you put that where that was said by that I mean .... that's allot of that's!

Me thinks Palin is not all THAT!!!

October 20, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  11. jm for sc

Palin is actually running for president rather than vp. She is working hard because she like many other americans thinks McCain's health will fail and she will become the president. Why else would this lady, who claim to be so religious, forget that lying is a sin.

Obama/Biden 08

October 20, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  12. Guido from Bangkok

I wonder what all the Gay's & Lesbian are thinking ?
    What comes next ?
    This woman gets more scary by the day and still, so many people like her !

Would be intersting what's going on in their mind

October 20, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  13. Chris from STL

Sarah ... Sarah .... please stay away from our constitution.

October 20, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  14. JohnLee

So in the debate you made it appear you were cozy with gays and now you're saying you think they are less than humans? Which is it Palin? Are you just as erratic as your running mate? I so hope the voters of this country see through you and your running mate because if not, this country will be unrecognizable.

October 20, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  15. Luis, Seattle, WA

Very interesting on one side of her mouth she says she does not want to seat in judgement and tell people what to do; however, on the other hand she supports and FEDERAL constitutional ammendment to make sure that people are told by law who not not marry. Hiprocritical at best.
    I thought a true republican wants less intrusion on the Federal Goverment in our daily lives...is that is not an intrusion then what?

October 20, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  16. Republican Supporters in the Dark

This is one of two things that I actually agree with Sarah Palin on (agree & Sarah Palin in one sentence – WOW!) The other is abortion. However, as a reformed Republican supporter (I no longer support them), I believe that they have been using both these issues as a wedge and to get out the value voters & evangelicals. Some are genuine but they are mostly hypocrites and they are very hateful, bigotted, intolerant and do more harm than good by causing division in this country. There are ways of going about expressing your views or standing up for what you believe in without being judgmental and downright hateful. That is not Christ-like. And as a Christian I really cannot continue to align myself with people who at times are so filled will anger and bitterness and even racism. That to me is what the Republican party has come to represent, and that is really sad.

October 20, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  17. Amy

Let me get this straight...

She says, "I'm not going to be out there judging individuals, sitting in a seat of judgment telling what they can and can't do, should and should not do," but she does support changing our constitution to ban these individuals from marrying?

She is too small minded, too judgmental, too divisive for our country.

Obama/Biden 08 for all!

October 20, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  18. Concerned Voter

A house divided can't stand, and definitely can't run the country.

October 20, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  19. Marie

she is totally setting her self up to try and run in 8 years.....she also disageed with MCSAME on the Robo Calls.............She has not agreed with him on many things..............That just shows he did not properly VET her...........She is derailling his campaign without any help from DEMS............I know she wanted to do the Rap on SNL but was told not too.........that was too bad................because she was stiff and acted like she did not want to be there....................

October 20, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  20. Tony

THIS FOOL IS THE ONLY PERSON WHO CAN USE THE WORD "THAT" 9 TIMES IN ONE SENTENCE AND MAKE ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE WHATSOEVER!

TAKE THAT PALIN!

October 20, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  21. Stephen

I can't wait to read the Log Cabin's (the national group of Gay Repuplicans) response to this news. I am constantly amazed how some people want to put their head in the sand and pretend that the Republican Party welcomes diversity. GET REAL!!!!!!

It's 2008, and with all the information available exposing the Republican Party's homophobia, inciting racial tension at their political rallys (using code words) and outright discrimination against people who don't look like them, tolerance is just not going to happen anytime soon since the Republican Party has been taken over by the Religious Right, bigots and the "holier than thou" fanatics.

October 20, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  22. carol

I don't really know if Sarah Palin knows which side she is supposed to be on......it seems to me that McCain and her are pulling in different directions....so much for McCain knowing SO much about her.
    The McCain campaign has been all over the map anyway.....I don't think either of them really know what is going on anymore and are just floundering and making speeches without knowing what the other one really feels about it.
    Well,it will soon be coming to an end and thank goodness for that... this has been the most disgusting campaign from the McCain camp and neither McCain or Palin can come away from it feeling proud of how they have conducted themselves

October 20, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  23. R in Maine

She claims to be patriotic and pro-American, but only if you agree with her.

October 20, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  24. brian

If she could put together just one logical sentence, I'd be more inclined to not throw up every time I hear her. She is worse than Bush because she hasn't figured out that the public loathes her...yet.

October 20, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  25. Mark in Omaha

She's just another intolerant, divisive hate-monger hiding behind a faux smile and a wink. She keeps accusing Obama of being a Socialist, but her views very much tread on Fascist.

October 20, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |