October 20th, 2008

Palin and McCain disagree on federal gay marriage ban

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/20/art.mccain.palin.vp.jpg caption="Palin and McCain disagree on a federal gay marriage ban."]
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (CNN) - Add one more policy item to the list of things John McCain and Sarah Palin disagree on.

Palin told CBN’s David Brody over the weekend that she supports a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, a proposal John McCain voted against in 2004. McCain believes the matter should be left to the states.

Brody asked Palin if she supports “something like” an amendment banning gay marriage.

“I am,” Palin said. “In my own, state, I have voted along with the vast majority of Alaskans who had the opportunity to vote to amend our Constitution defining marriage as between one man and one woman. I wish on a federal level that that's where we would go because I don't support gay marriage.

“I'm not going to be out there judging individuals, sitting in a seat of judgment telling what they can and can't do, should and should not do,” she said. “But I certainly can express my own opinion here and take actions that I believe would be best for traditional marriage and that's casting my votes and speaking up for traditional marriage that, that instrument that it's the foundation of our society is that strong family and that's based on that traditional definition of marriage, so I do support that.”

McCain and Palin disagree on a number of issues, including stem cell research, whether or not global warming is man-made, and drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Reserve.

In the past, McCain has joked away any policy differences between the two running mates.

“By the way, you may figure out from time to time, Sarah and I don’t agree on every issue,” McCain said at a joint town hall last month in Michigan. “What do you expect of two mavericks, to agree on everything? Eh?”

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Bob Stephens

I think Sarah should spend more time teaching her daughter about the birds and the bees, and less of it worrying about what gays do.

October 20, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  2. ConsiderThis, FL

Palin is clearly breaking ranks with the McCain campaign and trying to position herself as the Republican base's future leader/candidate. She has given all that she's going to give to McCain and is now making the transition to self (political) preservation.

October 20, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  3. Watermann

Never mind the issues. Does anybody, in his or her wildest dreams, see the picture of Sarah Palin hosting a G8 summit?

October 20, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  4. Obama 08

"I wish on a federal level that that's where we would go because I don't support gay marriage."

This idiot is a walking contradiction.

October 20, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  5. John the Electrician

I heard rumor that McCain's health condition is not so great. At age 72, can you image that anything happens to McCain, this crazy lady may become the president?

October 20, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  6. Kelli

Great.
    We are "worried" that Obama is a Socialist...
    When Palin wants to ban equal rights!!
    I understand that the Bible says marriage is btwn a man & a women.
    But we are the "land of the free" Where is the freedom for Homosexuals?
    This is just further proof what a danger SHE is to our country.

October 20, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  7. Don

At least she is taking a stand on something. It should have never even gotten to this point about gay marriages. It is wrong and the ones that support it know its wrong. You can not tell me that you were born this way and have had feelings like this all your life. Obama on the other hand will tell you what you want to hear and so will Joe.

October 20, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  8. Justin

Sarah Palin – scary and getting SCARIER!

I wish they'd let her "off the leash" weeks ago. She's a kook!

October 20, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  9. Mickie in PA

Wake up America - if Palin would amend the constitution in Alaska, she would have a field day with the Constitution of the United States since she said she wished we could do on a federal level what they did in Alaska. And believe me, she won't stop with amendments banning gay marriage. God help us if her and McCain get in and she presides over the Senate and McCain has veto power over all.

October 20, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  10. PUMBU

THEY DISAGREE ON EVERYTHING, THEIR ADMINSTRATION WQILL BE A DISASTER, TRUST ME!!!!!!!!!!!

October 20, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  11. J P from MD

I am not suprised. John McCain changes his positions so much, how can Palin keep up.

The best way for OBAMA to win is for his supporters to vote early. Then, when all the tricks come out on Election Day, we will already have our vote counted.

Don’t be stupid, vote early.
    Don’t be stupid, vote early.
    Don’t be stupid, vote early.
    Don’t be stupid, vote early.
    Don’t be stupid, vote early.

OBAMA/BIDEN 08

October 20, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  12. Dave

Way to stick together.... another example of how messed up the republican ticket is! Another example of how Closed minded this woman is! The more she opens her mouth, the deeper the hole gets for John McCain.

Obama/Biden is the only answer in 08/12!

October 20, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  13. witch

I fear for our country.....We would step back in time if they get elected. I have always said that she is a wolf in sheep's clothing. I think we need to make sure this does not happen.

October 20, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  14. haven

Dear Sarah,

Hate is not a family value.

Love,

Me.

October 20, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  15. Rob

She is a piece of work. "Marriage is between one woman and one man.."......and occasionally that man's business partners, right?

I never understood why people like her feel so threatened by the thought of two gay people getting married. Nobody would force her to get a gay marriage. What is the problem? She can't be worried that gay people would tarnish the sancity of marriage when she's been unfaithful herself.

Palin's thought processes are an understandable result of having her head buried in snow for the past 44 years.

October 20, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  16. Mickie in PA

If I were McCain and got elected, I would not drink or eat anything Palin touched. She is more power hungry than he is.

October 20, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  17. Nervous in Texas

She sounds like Amedenejah, he does not believe there are any gay people in Iran. She probably believes there are no gay people in Alaska, therefore there should be no gay people allowed in America, just like we should only allow pro-American parts of the country to speak up, and that the anti-Americans are all over congress and should be investigated and the non "real-Virgini[ans]", well they don't count either. So who's next on thier list, might as well say it, all non white christians right?

October 20, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  18. Billy

Palin's 15 minutes are almost up. It can't end too soon.

October 20, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  19. crownsy

yea, she certainly doesn't want to judge people, but she's all for arbitarly judging a large group off people.

double talk 101.

October 20, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  20. Diane

While I don't agree with much that Sen. McCain has spoke of recently, I do agree with him that there should not be an amended to the Constitution to define marriage, it should be left to the state level. This seems to be more double-speak for Palin – on one hand she decries too much government but if it is a topic on which she definitely has opinion of, then it's all for the government to take control of. Wake up America – this ticket is NO GOOD FOR AMERICANS!!!! We need to quit the divisional politics. Go Barack.

October 20, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  21. Michael L, Houston

I forgot... "COUNTRY FIRST"... that's their second to last slogan... right before "I am joe the plumber" it was Country First...

two funny. get it??/ 2? lol... nevermind.

October 20, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  22. Nancy

This woman is scary and she must be stopped! It is outrageous that her and McCain call Obama "socialist" with all that they have proposed. People who call him socialist are uninformed! Wake up! McCain and Palin support far more outrageous socialist programs? Changing our federal constitution? Are you kidding Palin?? And you say you don't judge gay people? Of course you do, hypocrite!

October 20, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  23. Mike in Fairfax

Folks. This is "scary"??? Neither Obama or Biden are for gay marreage. Neither is McCain. In other words, "There is no story here."

October 20, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  24. Lauren

She wants a federal ban on gay marriage but she will not be "going to be out there judging individuals, sitting in a seat of judgment telling what they can and can't do, should and should not do,” Isn't getting a federal ban on gay marriage telling people who they can and cannot marry and what they can or cannot do?? One more contradiction/hypocrisy coming out of her mouth!
    Obama/Biden '08

October 20, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  25. Gidget re-writes the Constitution

Whoah!
    Slow down Moose hunter.
    Put the Mic down. I repeat...PUT THE MIC DOWN! Step away from the podium and oput your hands in the air, please.

You are being deported back to the Alaska where you are free to be Emporor.

Obama 08