October 20th, 2008

Palin and McCain disagree on federal gay marriage ban

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/20/art.mccain.palin.vp.jpg caption="Palin and McCain disagree on a federal gay marriage ban."]
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (CNN) - Add one more policy item to the list of things John McCain and Sarah Palin disagree on.

Palin told CBN’s David Brody over the weekend that she supports a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, a proposal John McCain voted against in 2004. McCain believes the matter should be left to the states.

Brody asked Palin if she supports “something like” an amendment banning gay marriage.

“I am,” Palin said. “In my own, state, I have voted along with the vast majority of Alaskans who had the opportunity to vote to amend our Constitution defining marriage as between one man and one woman. I wish on a federal level that that's where we would go because I don't support gay marriage.

“I'm not going to be out there judging individuals, sitting in a seat of judgment telling what they can and can't do, should and should not do,” she said. “But I certainly can express my own opinion here and take actions that I believe would be best for traditional marriage and that's casting my votes and speaking up for traditional marriage that, that instrument that it's the foundation of our society is that strong family and that's based on that traditional definition of marriage, so I do support that.”

McCain and Palin disagree on a number of issues, including stem cell research, whether or not global warming is man-made, and drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Reserve.

In the past, McCain has joked away any policy differences between the two running mates.

“By the way, you may figure out from time to time, Sarah and I don’t agree on every issue,” McCain said at a joint town hall last month in Michigan. “What do you expect of two mavericks, to agree on everything? Eh?”

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Scared American

The Constitution should only be amended to give rights and not take them away.

Normally, I don't care about social issues because each person should be able to govern their own private lives but this possible administration scares me. Should McCain and Palin be elected they will force their ideology on America in regard to Gay Marriage and Abortion without listening to the voice of the people.

October 20, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  2. JeffRob

Woohoo! Keep it up, sister! You just go ahead and be absolutely sure to completely define yourself as an extreme right-wing-nut parrot sitting up on her perch at the intersection of Jesus and Karl Rove. That's exactly what the American people want.

Good luck, Republicans. just kidding. vote obama.

October 20, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  3. Shawn

How about a constitutional amendment preventing overly religious people from dictating what other people can and cannot do with their personal lives and bodies?

Worry about your own marriage, Caribou Barbie.

October 20, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  4. Get Real

What the heck does she mean by the following tale end of her statement
    ......traditional marriage that, that instrument that it's the foundation of our society is that strong family and that's based on that traditional definition of marriage, so I do support that.”

She is a JOKE

October 20, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  5. Can you say Hypocrite?

Didn't she tell Katie Couric she opposed Roe v Wade because these issues should be handled at the state level?

Let's just save us all a lot of trouble. Scrap the constitution and replace it with the HOLY BIBLE. That's what these nuts are really all about...

October 20, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  6. Sue in MI

So in a few days, she has alienated anyone she doesn't consider "pro-American" (which must be more than half the country now,) gays and lesbians, her running mate, strict Constitutionalists, who will never go for this, poor folks, because they will just be getting more undeserved help under Obama, Democrats, because we are the "bad guys..' she has quite a list of anti-Sarah people, huh? Sure is a uniter. Can hardly wait for the Republican primaries in 2011-12-wonder how long she'll be a viable candidate? New Hampshire? Iowa?

October 20, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  7. Texas for Obama

As a Christian, I cannot support gay marriage either, but I do NOT think the federal governement should have a right to tell people what to do.

The GOP thinks that all Christians have a duty to support them, but I would rather be more like Jesus. Tolerance, understanding and forgiveness are the best traits to have in a true Christian life. Giving people choices does not mean that you approve of their actions.

October 20, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  8. Bruce

Palin needs to understand that GAY MARRIAGE is not going to weaken TRADITIONAL Marriage. It is just a way to allow two people that have decided to devote their lives together to enjoy the same rights as other married couples. Tax breaks, and hospital visitation to name just a few.

This will also reduce the claim that Gays are promiscuous as they will be bonded together just like other couples and not running around as they are accused of doing.

October 20, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  9. Candy West Virginia

Great sarah, now you can strip away the few remaining rights bush didn't already take away. Keep talking sara, because when you do you turn off thousands more voters!
    mccain/palin = clueless pathological liars!

October 20, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  10. MurphyMorseJohnson

And in the picture that accompanies this article, there you see McCain again playing with his wedding ring!

October 20, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  11. Jack Jodell

Erratic, divisive, bad for America. Both of them.

October 20, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  12. Catholic-mom-4-OBAMA

DUH. McCain and Palin need their base to elect them! They will DO and SAY anything to get into the White House.

Palin is not qualified, polling shows that she is not 'ready' nor to THINKING Americans want another George W. Bush!

Palin has been spewing hate and division throughout our Nation, we have had enough of this for the last 8 years!

PLEASE AMERICA, REJECT THE VILE POLITICS OF THE REPUBLICANS!

OUR NATION IS BETTER THAN THIS, WE DESERVE A PRESIDENT WHO WILL UNITE US FOR THE DIFFICULT TIMES AHEAD!

October 20, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  13. Black Republican turn Obama supporter- New York, New York

This is one issue on which I see eye-to-eye with Sarah.

Unfortunately, America's problems today do not revolve around this one issue of gay marriage.

Sorry, Sarah, but John McCain gambled when he picked you, and that's not maverick; that's lack of visionary leadership on his part.

Some compare your limited executive experience with Obama's limited national political experience, but Obama had to prove himself from a field of nine Democratic contenders over a period of 19 months. That he could have beaten Hillary Clinton meant he was his own man. You have not done anything yet to prove you are your own woman.

McCain should have picked Mitt Romney and Obama would have had his work made more difficult.

October 20, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  14. dittohead with forty names

It will start with gays and then anyone else who doesnt think like them.Tell Palin and McCain to go home.

October 20, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  15. Richie

VOTE. Everyone needs to VOTE. Talk is cheap. VOTE early if you can.

October 20, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  16. JK

How can the republicans tolerate someone (i.e Palin) who has such disdain for federalism? The republican ticket really is incoherent. I used to consider myself more aligned with the republicans, but I can't even tell what that means anymore. So far, I can glean that republicans favor more big, federal government rules and more big spending. Interesting – and scary, seeing as Ms. Big Government herself wants to **expand** the power of the VP to preach – and impose – her far-from-mainstream religious views.

The democrat ticket seems like the only sensible one to support this time around – even for Joe the Plumber and everyone like him.

October 20, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  17. jsd

Note the "because" clause she offers in support of this federal ban: "I wish on a federal level that that's where we would go because I don't support gay marriage." Thanks, Governor, for that rare glimpse into your complex rationale. Forgive me, I'm having some trouble getting from the premise to the conclusion. I seem to recall some folks a while back who didn't support women's suffrage, or black suffrage, or the emancipation of slaves, and some these days who don't support the second amendment. Seems like we're missing something in-between in the inference.

October 20, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  18. Ann from MD

Reminds me of that interview Sarah did where she basically said she 'tolerates' homosexuals. Sorry, but as a proud member of the gay/lesbian community I can't tolerate a woman who is obviously homophobic and intolerant of those who are different than her. Someone should also inform her that being gay is NOT a choice. I was born this way, and I'm not going to let a bunch of extreme right-wingers tell me it's wrong to be myself.

October 20, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  19. ANGIE

Republicans cry and cry less Goverment but yet They want the Goverment to tell a woman what her personal choices should be,They want the Goverment to tell people who they can love and marry SARA PALIN IS A FAR RIGHT WING RELGIOUS NUT! LISTEN UP REPUBLICANS KEEP GOVERMENT OUT OF PEOPLES PRIVATE AND PERSONAL MATTERS, MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS STOP TRYING TO CONTROL PEOPLE THE FAR RIGHT WANT TO CONTROL THE PEOPLE!!!!!!

October 20, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  20. Georgia for Obama

My aunt live in Alaska she told me Palin is a crook and she hire her family in gov position and people are tire of her she really out for herself.......Alaskan does not think she ready for VP or President.

Alaskan are not for Palin/McCain

October 20, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  21. Ex-mod-GOP for Obama

Sorry, Gov. Palin - I fail to see how allowing two people who love each other to marry poses any threat to society. My ("traditional") marriage is, if anything, made stronger by the government not interfering in the matter.

October 20, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  22. grahame

Ya Know .There's not enough love in this world. Nobody can argue with that. So if two people want to signify their commitment to one another by taking marrage vows then I'm all for it. Palin is against it because it looks good and gets votes. Well when you go back to Alaska Sarah you can set you watch back 40 years. everywhere else in the world we welcome loveing people whatever gender they are.

October 20, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  23. D hub

it is clear that this woman is on a constant power trip. You can tell already that she thinks in her own mind that she is running for president and if ever thrown into that position she will force and push her creationist beliefs on the country. HOW COULD AMERICANS EVER VOTE FOR THIS TICKET!!!!!!!.... were the 42% of american backing mccain frozen in a cryogenic chamber for the past 8 years????? I just don't understand how this is happening. I agree with tina fey, "if mccain and palin are elected I am leaving earth!"

October 20, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  24. Jerry in Boston

What? That's EXACTLY what you're doing. You're telling them they can't get married.

If this woman had a brain cell it would be very very lonely.

October 20, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  25. W Spivey Merritt Island, FL

They can't even agree among themselves? What does she want the man to do? I know, she wants to be President.

October 20, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |