October 21st, 2008

Protesters try to disrupt Palin motorcade

(CNN) - Several protesters tried to block the motorcade of Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin in Grand Junction, Colorado on Monday afternoon, but police dragged them out of the way in a dramatic encounter.

The incident - just feet from the car carrying Palin - was captured on video by CNN affiliate KKCO-TV.

Eight to 10 protesters broke away from a larger group of demonstrators and darted into the street in front of Palin's car just after the first police motorcycles in her motorcade had passed, said Acting Chief Troy Smith of the Grand Junction Police Department.

Wearing bandanas and with faces covered, they blocked the path and held up a large banner. Officers in the motorcade stopped their motorcycles, and grabbed protesters, dragging several out of the path of the oncoming motorcade.

At least two demonstrators were tackled and forced to the ground before being pulled away. One officer fell backwards into the path of an approaching vehicle but he was able to get out of the way in time.

Palin's vehicle passed without a problem as other protesters chanted on the sidewalk, about a block from a site where Palin had addressed a rally.

Smith said officers saved the protesters from injury because "the motorcade likely would not have stopped" for them. He said "we don't know what their intentions were" in trying to block Palin's motorcade.

Investigators in Grand Junction are reviewing videotapes to try to identify suspects in an "active criminal investigation," Smith said. The Secret Service is not involved in the investigation, he said.

The protesters were members of a group called "Red Pill," Smith said. A Web site that carried an announcement of the group's planned protest urged supporters to show Palin "that we as a community say no to war, no to corporate cronyism, and no to four more years of Bush-style leadership." It
encouraged people to bring "drums, noise makers, and your strength."

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Renee

This Palin is dividing our country.Mccain/Palin is stirring up hate and encouraging people dark side to surface. Palin is dangerous to our country.

October 21, 2008 03:32 am at 3:32 am |
  2. Dave

Perhaps Sarah Palin ought to take a hint and leave Colorado for good and stay out of all other swing states; Obama and Biden are going to win them anyway. Maybe she can get a full time job on SNL after she gets impeached from her Governor position. Lord knows she can do a lot less damage to this country working for NBC, although the network will no doubt fall into the toilet with her presence.

October 21, 2008 03:42 am at 3:42 am |
  3. Ryan, Florida

These reactions, as stupid they are, don’t surprise me at all given the divisive, hate mongering nature of Sarah Palin.

October 21, 2008 03:43 am at 3:43 am |
  4. Candia

Now I agree with the general sentiment of the protesters, but that was a dumb stunt! Not only dangerous for themselves, but also for innocent bystanders like the police officer that was almost overrolled.

October 21, 2008 03:44 am at 3:44 am |
  5. Dave

CNN, please post my previous comment. My last 10+ blogs have remained in a perpetual "Your comment is awaiting moderation" phase. Enough is enough already.

October 21, 2008 03:45 am at 3:45 am |
  6. jaye

That Colorado is even considered a swing state this year is astounding. I would think that the democrats would win Colorado in a landslide.
    We shall see.

October 21, 2008 03:48 am at 3:48 am |
  7. Geolink

I agree to above. McCain is a leader all right. A leader of the dark side of the force. Darth Vader anyone?
    His actions have been dangerous for Obama and America as a whole.

October 21, 2008 03:49 am at 3:49 am |
  8. canuck

why is it always the left that does these stupid things? stupid as stupid does. btw i would not have slowed down.

October 21, 2008 03:54 am at 3:54 am |
  9. patrick

Its about time somebody started protesting her nomination and stances on issues.

Obama/Biden 2008

October 21, 2008 03:56 am at 3:56 am |
  10. johny

she came from Alaska with divisiveness, neo-nazi sentiments, we against them, pro-America and anti-American, she should just go back to Alaska and take Rush Limbaugh, Fox news and the whole hate radio with her

October 21, 2008 04:00 am at 4:00 am |
  11. vote

I suppose Palin won't count this city as pro-American any more...

October 21, 2008 04:02 am at 4:02 am |
  12. Carlos

I'm not really in favour of violence but i believe wat happened @ grand junction was a vote of no confidence 4 d McCain/Palin ticket in colorado...

October 21, 2008 04:04 am at 4:04 am |
  13. trmasonic

Good for them. Palin needs to know that the kind of divisive politics that she supports will no longer be tolerated by the people of this country. Sarah, we ain't in Alaska no more. Go hunt a moose you backwoods barbie doll.

October 21, 2008 04:04 am at 4:04 am |
  14. Patrick for Obama/Biden '08

Am a jobless man writing from Kenya. I've been following your election countdown since late last year. I always carry my laptop with me so as to keep abreast of the latest developments. And i must say lol God Bless America. You are proving that you are not only a super power in economic and military terms, but also when it comes to democracy. You lead the rest of the world follows. And now you are about to make world history again. What a model example to the rest of the world. God will surely keep on blessing your great Nation.

October 21, 2008 04:05 am at 4:05 am |
  15. Walt

Renee

You are so right. McCain had several honorable female republican senators he could have chosen. His selection of Palin is offensive on many, many levels.

One has to wonder about the mindset of anyone that thinks she should be anywhere near the white house.

October 21, 2008 04:07 am at 4:07 am |
  16. Dmitriy

Obama/Biden contribute to this sort of behaviour and instigate racial divide. But what do you expect from the candidate who encourages this sort of thing by telling his thugs to 'argue with them and get in their face'. Now that's hope you can believe in.

October 21, 2008 04:08 am at 4:08 am |
  17. mekazee

MCcaine/Palin ticket has nothing, but divisiveness to offer the country. Politcs of yesterday which they come with has been rejected and will be soundly rejected again on November 4. The noise from MCcain/Palin represents the last kicks of a dying bull. Obama/Biden ticket is on the message: change is coming.

October 21, 2008 04:10 am at 4:10 am |
  18. Lana

Sarah Palin can not articuate a thought without reading a teleprompter.In the debate, she had a high tech ear device in her ear and was fed the info needed to muddle through the debate.She has thrown rocks and hid her racist hands . I have NOOOOOO respect her.She and john are running a nasty campaign.If they manage to cheat their way to the top , I would never acknowledged them.
    They need to be very careful or our country will regress and not be as unified in the ream of unity.

October 21, 2008 04:11 am at 4:11 am |
  19. Annette

Where is Jack? I hope CNN didn't push him aside because of his candid comments that were insightful and honest. Where is Jack?
    Bring him back!

October 21, 2008 04:11 am at 4:11 am |
  20. Dmitriy

The 'Red Pill' are the likes of Weather Underground. They take responsibility for vandalizing military recruiting stations. Hmm. More terrorists for Obama?

October 21, 2008 04:15 am at 4:15 am |
  21. dinny

too bad i wasn't there! I wouldn't call Palin any names or be nasty but I'd still want to show that I oppose her candidacy and her views in general.

October 21, 2008 04:19 am at 4:19 am |
  22. Betty, Virginia

I believe people should be able to protest however, they should not be allowed do things like step in front of motorcades. Nothing should be allowed that could put any of our candidates into danger. There was no way to know the intent of someone stepping in front of a car. We really need to get a grip. We have real problems in this country.

That being said I have absolutely no love or even respect for Sarah Palin. I am concerned (and I believe Palin started it all with her palling around with terrorist comments) that the anger that is growing in our country is dangerous. I personally believe that the republican party has decided that the only way to win this is to appeal to hate and racism.

I won't be voting for a republican anytime soon if ever again. I'm very disappointed in my former party. I think history will talk about the horrible things said and done by the McCain/Palin ticket. This of course is my opinion which I know doesn't matter to their ticket since I live in Northern Virginia which is not "pro-American" or "real" Virginia. However, I will be doing my pro-american part in this election with a real vote!

October 21, 2008 04:30 am at 4:30 am |
  23. Aslan

The only people I know that covers their faces are those that intend to do something bad so they won't be identified. This kind of confontational tactics is bothering. It's my opinion, people who resolve to lack of restraint are those who have low intelligence and can't reason enough against their opponent so they resolve to using intimidation and violence.

October 21, 2008 04:38 am at 4:38 am |
  24. obama4president

This election is getting really scary! Rather its McCain/Palin or Obama/Biden.....America will never be the same!

October 21, 2008 04:39 am at 4:39 am |
  25. Brian

Nice job protesting, but stupid move blocking the motorcade.

You can make your point in better ways.

October 21, 2008 04:41 am at 4:41 am |