October 21st, 2008

Protesters try to disrupt Palin motorcade

(CNN) - Several protesters tried to block the motorcade of Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin in Grand Junction, Colorado on Monday afternoon, but police dragged them out of the way in a dramatic encounter.

The incident - just feet from the car carrying Palin - was captured on video by CNN affiliate KKCO-TV.

Eight to 10 protesters broke away from a larger group of demonstrators and darted into the street in front of Palin's car just after the first police motorcycles in her motorcade had passed, said Acting Chief Troy Smith of the Grand Junction Police Department.

Wearing bandanas and with faces covered, they blocked the path and held up a large banner. Officers in the motorcade stopped their motorcycles, and grabbed protesters, dragging several out of the path of the oncoming motorcade.

At least two demonstrators were tackled and forced to the ground before being pulled away. One officer fell backwards into the path of an approaching vehicle but he was able to get out of the way in time.

Palin's vehicle passed without a problem as other protesters chanted on the sidewalk, about a block from a site where Palin had addressed a rally.

Smith said officers saved the protesters from injury because "the motorcade likely would not have stopped" for them. He said "we don't know what their intentions were" in trying to block Palin's motorcade.

Investigators in Grand Junction are reviewing videotapes to try to identify suspects in an "active criminal investigation," Smith said. The Secret Service is not involved in the investigation, he said.

The protesters were members of a group called "Red Pill," Smith said. A Web site that carried an announcement of the group's planned protest urged supporters to show Palin "that we as a community say no to war, no to corporate cronyism, and no to four more years of Bush-style leadership." It
encouraged people to bring "drums, noise makers, and your strength."

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. red eys

Palin prays everyday for McCain to win the election so she and Todd will "do him"and take over the country for Alaska Independent Party.I hope McCain doesn´t win but if he does.....goodbye good ole America.Vote McCain and have Todd as President of the United States.
    This is serious.

October 21, 2008 06:32 am at 6:32 am |
  2. Kris K in RM CA

Voters do not like Palin and are afraid she may be President because of McCain's age. It is a huge issue people are talking about at work. People are voting for Obama because of Palin. More than half of my co workers have voted.They are voting against a possible Palin not the economy.

October 21, 2008 06:36 am at 6:36 am |
  3. Scott Tucson

And do these Red Pill nuts actually believe Obama will CHANGE (whatever that means) anything in Washington if he's elected?

October 21, 2008 06:36 am at 6:36 am |
  4. williefloyd

What a wonderful country we have that allows all people to express their views and opinions! Unfortunately in our zealousness to protest we sometimes go about it in the wrong way.

As a devoted supporter of Obama/Biden, I would ask those who so vehemently oppose McCain/Palin, myself included, to please channel your energy in ways that can be beneficial to our candidates. Go door to door, make phone calls, donate if you're financially able, anything you can do in a positive manner. Please, do not lower yourselves to the depths the Republicans have sunk.

God bless America, keep our candidates (ALL candidates) and their supporters safe.

As a grandmother I plead with the youth of our country, please do not allow yourself to feel that "my one vote can't make a difference". That in itself is true, but if a thousand people feel that way it can certainly make a difference.
    PLEASE VOTE ON NOV. 4TH OR EARLIER IF POSSIBLE!!!

OBAMA/BIDEN

October 21, 2008 06:46 am at 6:46 am |
  5. Edith

We as supporters of Obama must support him with our votes and carry ourselves in the calm and steady way that Obama carries himself. We are facing rough times in the Country in all aspects, it is at this time that we put into action and understand that UNITED WE STAND DEVIDED WE FALL.

October 21, 2008 06:50 am at 6:50 am |
  6. justobserve

McCain and Palin run a very divisive campaign that incited people to become less civilized. They have to drink their own medicine.

October 21, 2008 06:50 am at 6:50 am |
  7. Global J

The more roadblocks to her hate filled speeches and divisive politics the better!
    (Thank goodness, Colin Powell has courageously spoken out on this subject and her unreadinesss for high office.)
    McCain and Palin's kitchen sink strategy deserves nothign but contempt and derision from the American electorate this November.
    I hope they both get washed down the sink of history with Joe the plumber.
    Good riddance!

October 21, 2008 06:50 am at 6:50 am |
  8. Bring America Back!

Palin unleashed pented up anger at her rallies and now others are following pursuit. Does that not make her the instigator? Stirring up lies and deceit only makes a fire rage longer.

October 21, 2008 06:52 am at 6:52 am |
  9. blaising

Mrs. Palin babbling about freedom of the press during FOX interview:

"As we send our young men and women overseas in a war zone to fight for democracy and freedoms, including freedom of the press, we've really got to have a mutually beneficial relationship here with those fighting the freedom of the press, and then the press, though not taking advantage and exploiting a situation, perhaps they would want to capture and abuse the privilege. We just want truth, we want fairness, we want balance."

Somebody tape that moose's piehole shut!! She CANNOT speak with intelligence!!

Oh...and let's not forget that BOTH members of the GOP ticket have now been found GUILTY of violating ethics laws:

The report states: "I find that Governor Sarah Palin Abused her power by violating Alaska Statute 39.52.110(a) of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act.”

Nuff said...Paylin's a drag on the ticket...

October 21, 2008 06:53 am at 6:53 am |
  10. Kenneth Alaekwe

I am not an American but I have been following the this campain since the primaries. The McCain/Palin campaign has nothing to show. McCain used to be one of the American politicians I respected but he has done all he could to disappoint me.

The selection of Sarah Palin is a VP is really ridiculous and dangerous. This woman is out of touch and has shown that she is not smart enough to be even a governor. I believe that after the election the people of Alaska would really know how stupid and dumb their governor is. By not giving interviews to big US media is a prove of that. She does not know anything. I am surprised that this woman studied journalism.

A woman who refuses teaching young people the consequences of sexuality in the 21st century is out of touch. She should have woken up when her teenage daughter became pregnant. But she did not.

I want to call the Americans to show McCain and Palin the way out by giving Obama a landslide come Nov 4. I admire your country but the years of George W. Bush has brought your country nothing but disrespect and hate throughout the world. You can change this through your ballot. Vote for Obama.

October 21, 2008 06:54 am at 6:54 am |
  11. Lamps

Childish. This democrat is voting Maverick/Barracuda!

October 21, 2008 06:55 am at 6:55 am |
  12. JG

The best way to protest is to VOTE on Nov 4th. The republicans are counting on the fact that the young Obama supporters will not go vote and the others will have the "Bradley Effect" once in the voting booth.
    Do the right thing and make sure to VOTE for the CHANGE we need,
    Our country is in trouble, its not a red state or blue state issue, it effects us all.
    OBAMA\BIDEN 2008!!!

October 21, 2008 06:55 am at 6:55 am |
  13. Trasa, Texas

I admit, I don't like Sarah and her SugarDaddy McCain, but blocking the motorcade isn't the way to get your point across. You were doing find protesting and needed to stay with the group. People getting crazy out here and need to check themselves.

Go Obama/Biden 08

October 21, 2008 06:55 am at 6:55 am |
  14. HouseDiva

9 times out of 10 rowdy protesters are usually COPS who infiltrate peaceful organizations to encourage violence.

wake up people!

October 21, 2008 06:57 am at 6:57 am |
  15. Karen

Betty I have a sincere question for you. Let me start by saying that I had hoped to vote for Obama. I have done months of independent research. I have been listening to both sides and had to go out on my own to rid myself of all of the sensationalism from both parties. It gets old and really provides little service to the country. Sarah Palin has used strong language, but if you will do some research Senator Obama has truly sorrounded himself with people that I think very few would agree with in ideology or practice. He has worked on multiple projects with these people in order to advance the same agendas. Therefore it goes beyond poor judgement, he shares their ideology. I don't always agree with my government, but I love my country and it is our form of government that has made us a great nation. Obama's ideas ARE socialist as much as I hate to admit it. I think that the country is caught up in Obama mania and can't see the forest for the trees. There has never been an economically and politically strong socialist nation when you compare it the the Republic that we have in the United States. I would encourage you and everyone to spend the next few weeks digging in reputable independent sources over the next few weeks before you cast you vote.

October 21, 2008 07:00 am at 7:00 am |
  16. Fatal Blow

I am an obama supporter, but we cannot allow ourselves to disrupt Palin's campaigning, she has a right to campaign as she pleases and we need to respectfully hammer away the points that Americans care about

October 21, 2008 07:01 am at 7:01 am |
  17. iyke in spain

I believe the people of Colorado are angry, and have every reason to be . They have displayed anger and hate on the McCain/Palin campaign and that will also surface at the election by casting their votes on Obama/Biden.

October 21, 2008 07:06 am at 7:06 am |
  18. joe smith

I see the oil moguls are going to cut production, maybe twice; can't have the world receive cheap oil, my goodness, what would that do to the bottom line. why don't they let market forces dictate where the price ends up, instead of this contrived usage, similar to our ag programs..

October 21, 2008 07:06 am at 7:06 am |
  19. Dawn

I think that the Sarah Palin is dividing this country...Why because of several comments that she has said, Pro-Americians, socialism, Well lets bring back Joe McCarthy...Dividing this country is very dangerous. Look she may be a nice woman in all, but what comes out of her mouth is dangerous garbage. Joe the Plumber? Now that is getting tired...he could have been a plant...

Obama/Biden08/12

October 21, 2008 07:07 am at 7:07 am |
  20. diakenpoy

Finally, documented, Obama praising ayers. . Now minions of Obama will be on denial again, saying these people are spreading hate and racism . Saying how low can GOP gets. Stay on the issues to deflect. The usual black defends.

October 21, 2008 07:09 am at 7:09 am |
  21. Stephen in Bedford, TX

Protesting is a way of saying "we're mad a he-double hockey sticks and we're not going to take it anymore". It may not be the most effective way to protest, but they have a right. I expect her to say this is what she meant when certain parts of the country are not "pro-American", when, in reality it a demonstration of just how much people love America.

October 21, 2008 07:09 am at 7:09 am |
  22. AmericanFeminist

Criminal investigation? It sounds like they have (dragged and/or tackled) the ones who blocked the motorcade. So, who are they investigating? The people who have a constitutional right to protest.

Funny, McCain, and especially Palin, love to incite their own crowd. But, non-supporters aren't allowed to get angry.

October 21, 2008 07:09 am at 7:09 am |
  23. Holly

From Fox:

"Democratic hopeful to cancel nearly all campaign events for two days to visit his suddenly ill grandmother, 85, in Hawaii"

That is their sub-heading. Is it just me or does that smack of "let's be suspicious of whether she's 'really' sick"? I think it does. Their article also treats the fact that the family won't speak on the specifics of the illness as somehow suspicious as well. Of course they don't say that directly, but to me it seems subtly implied. This sort of thing sickens me.

I apologize for posting this here, but all the other blog entries are "permalinked." Thanks.

October 21, 2008 07:14 am at 7:14 am |
  24. Marie Canada

Hopefully these types of protests won't be common place as Obama doesn't need or want them in his campaign.

The fact is most respectable and thoughful Republicans are now supporting Obama and see McCain as simply not Presidential material with irratic and irrational moves on a constant basis.

Many seem to think McCain will close a little ground as time goes on but from my perspective I believe Obama will widen the gap with McCain's campaign turnng off more and more voters on a regular basis.

October 21, 2008 07:15 am at 7:15 am |
  25. Lu

I can't abide the thought of her as VP and she hasn't done herself any favours with her nasty inflammatory and divisive speeches in the campaign, nonetheless, I don't agree with what the protestors did. They should use their energy to get people out to vote against the horrid GOP.

October 21, 2008 07:17 am at 7:17 am |